Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sealant

Options
  • 10-10-2007 9:54pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a recurrant problem with mice in my flat (It's Edinburgh, everyone has them :( ). Anyway, the building is a good 150 years old, and there's loads of tiny holes mice can get through. I've tried plugging them with steel wool, but it's not working. Is there any type of sealant or filler I can get to stop them getting in, and to block up those holes once and for all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Maybe if you mixed broken glass with silicone it would work for the smaller holes ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Maybe, but is there something I can buy that will just fill up the gaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No More Big Gaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Plaster? They eat through NMBG...

What about something like this:

0416296HBO22222M.jpg

# High performance polymer sealant that is suitable for all tasks around your home.

# Bonds to damp surfaces.

# Waterproof.

# Flexes with movement.

Plaster would be a bit extreme, and messy, but might be the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Well, the correct question to ask here is - where are the holes are you trying to block?
    Are these internal or external, in walls, floors, cupboards, kick-boards, skirting?

Plaster has one redeemable factor, and that is - you can clean it up easily when it's damp... these polymers and silicons are difficult if you make a mess.

They're holes in the skirting boards, really. Well, the holes are between the floor and the wall. It's mostly skirting boards and walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Faith - I hate to tell you this, but there is very little that you can do. Mice can get through a hole the width of a pencil. You'd never manage to fill them all in. Try one of the electronic-high-pitched-buzzer gizmos that you plug in.

It worked a treat in my house (a 160-yo stone cottage with lots & lots of little holes here & there around the place). I had caught 9 mice in two weeks in my hot press. As soon as I plugged the gizmo in they all left.

My neighbours (in similar cottages) have reported that the mice are back in their gaffs, but we've not had any (they just use traps - no gizmos).

I have one of them and it's no good. The range is only one room also. I've found plenty of evidence of them being in the room where I have my one :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

Hey Faith..

Yah I agree.. Those electronic gizmos dont work. Had one and was still pestered with mice.

Ideally you should remove the skirting boards. Then take a look for holes in the walls where they are getting in. If there are not many, get a tub of touch up plaster from your local diy store (looks like a tub of butter). If there are a lot of holes get a bag of plaster and mix it with water until its doughy (honestly its real simple).. Replace the skirting boards.

Failing that.. get urself a new pet.. a cat :-)

jayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jayo99 wrote: »

Yah I agree.. Those electronic gizmos dont work. Had one and was still pestered with mice.
    They work when you get a good one, the cheaper ones (lidl and aldi for example) are not near as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

You wont get rid of mice by blocking holes. You have to eradicate them first, You probably have 10 mice for every 1 that you see. As more than 1 flat is involved this looks like a job for your landlord or possibly your local sanitation office or Rentokill.
    I agree with the point about cheap gismos, absolutely useless. Though a good one can just confuse settled populations. They're better for keeping pests away than at driving them away.

Advertisement