Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graphics overclock

Options
  • 10-10-2007 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

i recently set about overclockin my graphics card as best i could, ive used atitool and rivatuner, i come to a max overclock of 620/980, further than this and it freezes. no way to up the voltage or sumthin???

i was wondering if there were a way to further the oc without manual alteration to the hardware itself. ie, probably in bios. i have the pci mhz thing set to 120...not really sure wat this does, but i presume bigger numbers ==beter:D

so anyway to up the frqncies anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

overclocking = death of your graphics card.

If you have no problem with replacing your card in a years time then by all means go ahead and overclock.

If you plan on overclocking more than your freq will allow then id first suggest that you look into increasing your cooling of he Gpu or your gona risk melting it.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

If you have no problem with replacing your card in a years time then by all means go ahead and overclock.

If you plan on overclocking more than your freq will allow then id first suggest that you look into increasing your cooling of he Gpu or your gona risk melting it.:mad:

...ah dammit....now ya have me all worried and im puttin the clocks back to factory...ffs! really that bad huh?....hows about if i jus overclock it when im playin a demanding game??...is that sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

:rolleyes: Bollox, Don't heed that $hit, I've got my 256Mb 7900GT volt modded to 1.5V, (GTX speeds) for the last yr without probs, but i did change the stock cooler to a Zalman http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/48au7/ I've also overclocked every gpu i ever had. Unfortunately there are no volt mods for 8 series gpu's (well not that i've come across). My old guide to volt modding a 7900GT i made last yr is here , some here have found it useful.

When your oc'in a gpu, if it freezes reduce your oc a small bit 2 save the card & dont let your gpu temp go over 80-85' (although i ran my 6800gt to 90' without probs). Freezes are usually caused by oc'in the memory 2 far, oc the core 2 far & you will get artifacts (random glitches on the screen). You will probably reduce the lifespan of the gpu from 10 to 3 yrs, but in 3 yrs you definitely wont b using the same gpu & it will be worth nothing anyway.

My advise 2 u is 2 reduce the memory oc until it no longer freezes & then keep pushing the core slowly until u start 2 get artifacts, then reduce the core a small bit to protect the card. If using rivatuner be sure to only set your oc for performance 3d, that way your core will not b overclocked when running a 2d application or browsing etc & will start when u run a game or other 3d application. I find the best test for a gpu oc is a 3 loop of 3dmark06. Consider changin the stock cooler also.

Good luck
    Pog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

use the dectet artifacts in ati tool its the best for cheaking if your core and mem is stable.

also there are series 8 volt mods but afaik there isnt a hugh performence gain,

alrighty, cheers guys. ive stepped the core n mem down a bit and set it into the 3d section only, not goin above 65c during 3dmark06 when it was at 620/980

hmmm, i might want the graphics for more than 3 years tho, i spose the best thing to do would be only pushing it when it needs to be pushed...(CRYSIS, COD4, UT3)....would they ever just hurry the feck up with them already...jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Jesus, i should ban you for talking such utter sh1te. But since your new here ill let this slip ;)

If you really want to overclock the card above 650/1100 you need a 120cfm fan pushing air over it. or some watercooling. Dont bother using a ultra bios, it wont help at all, i have tried it. You just need better cooling. Im amazed your stuck at <620. I can run 700 on stock cooling, with no chassis fans.

So in your case, i think you have got a bad card, well in bad, i mean. Its still a good card. But a bad overclocker. Sometimes you get that, a bad batch of gpu's. But they are still able to perform at stock speeds, just not overclocked, same with the ram.

If you are in dublin, i can check your card for you.

also, listne to that culchie pogie, he knows what hes on about :)

*** Granted im running a 8800gtx, but i think you should be able to push further.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pff he thinks he can post without me being there

like that would happen !

thanks anti, but no can do as im in limerick at the moment.

so like if i throw my gpu fan speed on like 80-100% instead of auto, i might be able to get a little higher....how does that make sense...:confused:

No, order a better cooler, like this, & put a fan on it if needed (depending on your case airflow). Zalman are also releasing the VF-10000 in the future.

• Advertisement

but sure, like howz cooling it down gonna let me up the frequencies??? its not runnin hot at all...its jus hittin a wall at 620/980....surly if i cool it down even more with a cooler like u mentioned, its still gonna hit that same wall head first!?

but sure, like howz cooling it down gonna let me up the frequencies??? its not runnin hot at all...its jus hittin a wall at 620/980....surly if i cool it down even more with a cooler like u mentioned, its still gonna hit that same wall head first!?

lol lads why ye all jumping at him with cooling :D

most likly ur card has hit a wall.this is quite a good clock imho gts i had mine running @ 635/1000 which was faster then a GTX so i was happy :D;)

what the temp of the core at load if its anything under 80 thats good.

if i were you i would just leave it at the clocks you got there as they are quite good.but if you want to get more you could probley flash it with a modded bios or do a volt mod.also have you upped the shader clock (rivatuner)

How do you know what temperature the memory chips are running at, all you can see is the core temp. After market coolers also come with ram heatsinks that you add to reduce the temps there also. Freezing is usually caused by 2 harsh a memory oc. Is there sufficient airflow 2 the gpu? Is there an x-fi in the slot beside it? Can you add another front fan to supply air directly to it?

I don't believe your stuck @ those clocks, others have got much higher :D
    Overclocking isn't all there is to do to get better performance from your gpu

OTHER THINGS YOU NEED TO READ UP ON:
    What graphics driver are you using? Have you tried tweaked drivers. Did you use a driver cleaner last time you updated the driver. What bios is your gpu using? Is there a better bios?

Google's your best friend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Be careful with your memory OC. If you take too big a step at once while OC'ing you can brick your card. Personally I wouldn't go above 5Mhz at a time.

Whats your case temp and airflow like? Does the RAM on the card have any heatsinks? You could try throwing an 8Cm fan in front of the card and see if you can get a higher RAM OC.

awhir wrote: »
    if you want to get more you could probley flash it with a modded bios or do a volt mod.also have you upped the shader clock (rivatuner)

whoa, NOT going to flash the bios...last time i did that i fecked up my mobo....i taut a volt mod was the only real solution...kinda want to steer clear of tampering with hardware...way too much of a n00b for that! and i dont see anything about no shader clock in rivatuner.

theres a very good airflow going over the card. i really dont think its getting hot at all, its maxing at around 65c, not going over that (the core that is), no idea bout the ram. no x-fi card. using latest drivers from nvidia 163.71

trust me, airflow over card is very good. its pretty cool.

room temp max is 21c, usually round 18 or less

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

You just hit your wall, nothing you can do really.
    And you can't seperately overclock the shaders it's tied to your core clock, overclocking the core will overclock the shaders. When did you get the card seb? It's just some of the newer A3 rev GPU's are clocking like monsters.

nibble wrote: »
    You just hit your wall, nothing you can do really.
    And you can't seperately overclock the shaders it's tied to your core clock, overclocking the core will overclock the shaders. When did you get the card seb? It's just some of the newer A3 rev GPU's are clocking like monsters.

tought rivatuner now supports shaderclcoking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bigchrome

It does. Need the new drivers first.

it does :o

HOLY SHHHH.....

Time to go for this record now then,

Anti wrote: »
    it does :o

HOLY SHHHH.....

Time to go for this record now then,

Really you can overclock the shaders seperately? Just didn't think it was possible on a hardware level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bigchrome

No one's FORCING you to beleive it:D

Bigchrome wrote: »
    No one's FORCING you to beleive it:D

Hehe I believe it, now to get off this stock Q6600 cooler and see what I can't do.

Advertisement