Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling tourist

Options
  • 10-10-2007 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Does anyone know if a cycling map of Dublin exists? Are there plans to get one printed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I don't believe there is such a thing - and I think it's very unlikely one will be produced for several years.

What kind of information are you looking for from the map? Recreational routes? Commuting routes?

This map claims to show cycle routes in the city, but it's about as realistic and useful as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Such a map could probably be produced by tracing existing cycle paths over Google maps of Dublin. It'd take someone sufficiently diligent and/or anal, though.
    Morgan wrote: »
    I don't believe there is such a thing - and I think it's very unlikely one will be produced for several years.

What kind of information are you looking for from the map? Recreational routes? Commuting routes?

This map claims to show cycle routes in the city, but it's about as realistic and useful as this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Such a map could probably be produced by tracing existing cycle paths over Google maps of Dublin. It'd take someone sufficiently diligent and/or anal, though.
    A friend of mine once wrote to Dublin City Council suggesting that a map be published and that it should show cycle tracks that were in accordance with DTO guidelines and relevant legislation and which had been inspected and passed by the City Council.

It was suggested that this would be a great help to visitors to Dublin.

We're still waiting.

Best advice that can be given to cycling visitors at present is to avoid rush-hours and to treat our 'cycling infrastructure' with caution & suspicion.

Leisure cyclists should definitely cycle around Dublin Bay and explore the Phoenix Park. A trip down the South Quays is a must, but pick a quiet time (traffic wise). A sunny Sunday morning (like today's) would be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

I have that book that King Raam mentioned (well I've lent it to a friend). It was recommended here to me a few months ago. Some excellent routes in it, but I haven't tried most of them. You need a car to get to the starting points and then it's a day's leisurely cycle. There's a nice route of Tara, Trim, Navan in it that I'm hoping to do over Halloween - bringing some much needed goodies up to the witches and co in Tara;)

The author has put in plenty of background information about the history of the places and things to see of interest slightly off route, if you're into that kind of stuff. AFAICR he didn't mention too much about road quality and traffic volumes but it's a while since I read it. Got it in Eason's for a tenner. Well spent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement