Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Live connection problems - please help!!!

• 10-10-2007 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, both a brand new 360 yesterday along with the 360 wireless conector as I have NTL broadband in the house! My problem is that in additional settings (under the PPPOE section) I can not get a hold of the serice name? I have rang XBOX and NTL and neither have been able to help me. I have all of the other information required i.e. wep key and the username and password.

Id really appreciate any help you all can give as this is extremely frustrating.

Cheers

Flynn.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

All of the PPPOE stuff should be left blank, it's more for ADSL users I think. NTL should know that they don't use this and should have told you so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

All you should have to do is connect it all together, run the wireless config setup on the Xbox and you should be good to go. Alternatively, connect the Xbox to your router using a cable and check that it works. At least that way you can rule out your connection... I have NTL as well, and it worked first go for me, but I don't have the wireless yoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

very helpful site: xbox live guide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Ok i have still had no luck with this so I think I will have to explain my situation clearer.

I have ntl broadband and have a wireless router connected. I have bought a 360 wireless adapter and have tried to connect to live but the test keeps failing at the IP part. I have my wep key in correctly etc.
    All of the PPPOE stuff should be left blank, it's more for ADSL users I think. NTL should know that they don't use this and should have told you so.

Can anyone confirm if this is true as I have my username and password for this section but I have been unable to get hold of the service name (so frustrating)?

I have a PS3 and that is connected via wireless aswell without any problems. I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks

Flynn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Can anyone confirm if this is true as I have my username and password for this section but I have been unable to get hold of the service name (so frustrating)?
    Your 360 doesn't need to know any of your ntl details. Your ntl modem takes care of itself and your router distributes the connection. Your problem is with connecting to the router. As already mentioned PPPoE is used mainly with ADSL services so you can ignore the additional settings tab, just leave it blank.
    I have ntl broadband and have a wireless router connected. I have bought a 360 wireless adapter and have tried to connect to live but the test keeps failing at the IP part. I have my wep key in correctly etc.
    The problem is that your 360's ip address is failing verification. Preferably you want your router to assign one automatically via DCHP. To do this simply select "automatic" when entering the ip details.

What wireless router are you using?

• Advertisement

The problem is that your 360's ip address is failing verification. Preferably you want your router to assign one automatically via DCHP. To do this simply select "automatic" when entering the ip details.

What wireless router are you using?

I have always had automatic selected and my router is a belkin.

When I run the xbox live connection test and the ip address fails and I go into details the msg I get is " Your console was unable to negotiate a lease with your DHCP server. Make sure that addresses are available on your server.

The test verifies that your console has a valid ip address. If your console does not pass the test:

confirm that there are no other devices on your network with the same ip address

If you are using a router or gateway, verify that it is configured to assign IP addresses to network devices(DHCP enabled)"

Does this make sense to anyone and how would I go about fixing the problems etc.

Thanks

Flynn.

Does anyone have any ideas at all?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Strange. Have you set all the PPPoe and additional settings to blank? Also try restarting your router. If this fails you might have to try setting a manual ip, so you'll need to know your router's ip and subnet mask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

What sort of wireless router do you have?
    Try this anyway and see what happens.

In your 360 network settings blade enter the following settings

IP Settings on manual with;
    IP address: 192.168.1.10
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS Settings also manual with;
    Primary: 192.168.1.1
    Secondary: 192.168.1.1 (both the same)

Then obviously fill in your WEP code in the wireless bit.

Never mind about the additional settings, unnecessary with your configuration. Make sure they all read "Not Set", otherwise it could muck up your chances of getting this thing working.

If your router is set up with DHCP enabled this might work, I've found that the automatic setup route can have issues especially if your router isn't fully compatible with the 360.

Advertisement