Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

laptop charging query

• 10-10-2007 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭

I just bought a new Inspiron 6400 laptop. These are the specs

Inspiron 6400 Pentium Dual Core T2130 (1.86Ghz, 1MB L2 Cache, 533Mhz)
    2 GB RAM
    Win XP Pro SP2
    9-Cell Battery
    (Full specs attached)

If I plug in the battery charging power cable the performance drops dramatically. CPU usage goes way up and it is almost unusable it is so slow.
    Idle CPU usage is about 20-30%. Try to launch IE and CPU goes to 100%. Opening up IE takes nearly 1 minute.

Unplug the power cable and the performance is fine. CPU usage drops way down to 0-3% at idle and about 30% on opening IE.

Anyone got any ideas on what's happening?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Strange. Have you spoken to support about it? Could be a general issue with a certain batch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭hesker

No not yet...just trying to see if I could solve it myself before dealing with support techs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

If you go into safe mode are the symptoms the same? Just trygin to figure out if its a process eating up the cpu....Log into safe mode (Press F8 repeatidly after the Dell logo disappears on start up,and slect safe mode from the list of options) Once you log into your account see is the same laggyness occuring...I have a feeling its related to a background process myself...

Will try when I get home from work...presume you're suggesting that there are processes that will show up in safe mode that won't show up otherwise... or that there would be fewer processes running. Looking at Task Manager in standard mode last night there is no alarming jump in activity of any one background process but you can obviously see the System Idle go down as the CPU usage goes up.

I've proved it's not a faulty power cable by switching with another. With the battery out and power cable plugged in it's the same so it's not the battery either.

Used the Win install CD to do a system repair last night but made no difference. Was thinking that the battery/charging drivers might be conflicting with something...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

When you get home can you also take a screenshot of the processes tab in task manager before and after plugging in the charger?

• Advertisement

To majiktripp

In safe mode it's more or less the same but on a smaller scale. On battery only it absolutely whizzes along. Plug in the cord and the performance goes down, cpu usage goes up.

To AlmightyCushion

I've taken Task Manager screenshots of processes and CPU performance in standard mode and in safe mode with AC cord in and out. Attached are the processes in standard mode with cord out (battery) and in (AC) that you requested. You can see Task Manager is using 47% CPU on AC. That does seem high.

Thanks for your help....

Advertisement