Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Facilities in Dublin (Connolly/Busaras)

• 11-10-2007 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I realised today that at the major transport hub in Dublin, around Connolly Station and Busaras, where the main Light rail, Surburban/Intercity rail and Bus services meet, there is absolutely no designated area to lock a bike legally.

This typifies the lack of awareness of the importance of integrated planning when it comes to providing public transport services.

I think the number of cyclists in dublin city is increasing. People are realising that it is not too bad of a city to cycle in. We have low annual rainfall and a moderate climate: perfect conditions for cycling. And, as people become more in touch with environmental issues and, lets face it, fashion continues to dictate that being green equates with being cool, theres no reason for those in charge to fail to recognise the need for quality facilities for this now very visibly popular form of transport.

Consider the capital cost of setting aside a measly few metres squared of concrete and sticking a few metal posts in them. Then think of the amount of hassle that would save for current cyclists and how much easier it would make the decision of someone considering getting out of his/her car and cycling to work, knowing that there's somewhere reliable to leave their bike.

Sorry to harp on, but its frustrating, because, as I said, it's a relatively tiny investment, with a potentially huge payoff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

There were numerous bike parking facilities beside Busaras (outside Store Street Station) before the current much needed redesign work begun.

If they aren't put back when they are finished well then kick up a fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

detlef wrote:
    I realised today that at the major transport hub in Dublin, around Connolly Station and Busaras, where the main Light rail, Surburban/Intercity rail and Bus services meet, there is absolutely no designated area to lock a bike legally.

This typifies the lack of awareness of the importance of integrated planning when it comes to providing public transport services.

I think the number of cyclists in dublin city is increasing. People are realising that it is not too bad of a city to cycle in. We have low annual rainfall and a moderate climate: perfect conditions for cycling. And, as people become more in touch with environmental issues and, lets face it, fashion continues to dictate that being green equates with being cool, theres no reason for those in charge to fail to recognise the need for quality facilities for this now very visibly popular form of transport.

Consider the capital cost of setting aside a measly few metres squared of concrete and sticking a few metal posts in them. Then think of the amount of hassle that would save for current cyclists and how much easier it would make the decision of someone considering getting out of his/her car and cycling to work, knowing that there's somewhere reliable to leave their bike.

Sorry to harp on, but its frustrating, because, as I said, it's a relatively tiny investment, with a potentially huge payoff.

There's a few bikestands under the escaltors that go between the Luas stop and the entrance to Connolly Station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

There is a lockup in Connolly. Go back a few pages and there's a similar thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 meefa

Hey im doing my final year project on intergrating bikes with buses i know that dublins planning a bike rental system but i don't live in dublin so do u think that making it possible to take bikes on public transport with u would b worth while??
    Just seeing as the traffic and such seems pretty bad there.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

penexpers wrote: »
    There's a few bikestands under the escaltors that go between the Luas stop and the entrance to Connolly Station.

Yes. Probably the most dangerous in Dublin judging by the amount of wrecked bikes on display there. That area is disneyland for the scumbags that hang around behind the low wall at the end of the tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

detlef wrote: »

The bike parking sections of this slide show from LA Metro show exactly such... http://metro.net/riding_metro/bikes/images/BTWD_Workshop_041806.ppt

I've outlined other stuff on meefa's thread on how LA's buses have front-mounted racks for two bikes, and how you can take bikes on the metro rail (just not at peak hours).

Around the city centre I can often find it hard to spot a place to lock my bike near to a shop / work / etc. Not just the bike parking filled up, but lamp polls too. How can this help convincing people to switch? Or, indeed, if more people switch and the problem is left unattended it will quickly grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

meefa wrote: »
    Hey im doing my final year project on intergrating bikes with buses i know that dublins planning a bike rental system but i don't live in dublin so do u think that making it possible to take bikes on public transport with u would b worth while??
    Just seeing as the traffic and such seems pretty bad there.......

You should have a look at the bike rental system in Paris for a comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bluetonic wrote: »
    There were numerous bike parking facilities beside Busaras (outside Store Street Station) before the current much needed redesign work begun.
    There are still some between Bus Áras and the Luas stop.

Advertisement