Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Long Vehicle Driving tips

Options
  • 11-10-2007 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've been driving the Corsa for almost 2 years now, but I'm starting on a new project on Friday...a Jumbo Sprinter. I'm obvioulsly going to be supervised being the first time driving it, but any tips for getting in the mental frame of mind.

I'm used to the car being an extension of myself to the point that I can come within a cm of a bumper when parking without touching, but such a big extension is a bit intimidating.

Any similar experiences appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Mirrors - Use them more than ever.

When taking corners take them wide if possible

When reversing don't juse use the mirrors, make sure you look back etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Also make sure your mirrors are set to the best visibility ...take time to adjust if necessary.

Watch out for the rear overhang in tight corners, it swings the opposite way.

Watch the height (don't drive in under overhead bars:D ) also when maneuvering around under protruding roofs, corners on loading bays, etc.

Watch both sides of the van when going round tight corners for hidden bollards and other nasties.

When reversing ...if in doubt, stop, get out and check before ploughing into something that "wasn't supposed to be there"

Don't let yourself be rushed, take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This was me a year ago, I went from a fiesta to a Transit:D

On the way home from buying my first one, I was on a narrow country road and had to take a sharp turn with a wall on my left, being used to the fiesta I just did what I usually do and then I hear a big scrape along the wheel arch:o Good job it was already a banger. So yeah, take corners widely.

Protruding roofs as peasant pointed out is one to watch out for too that you just wouldn't think of which is why I'm saying it a second time for you:)

Also, if you're arranging things with customers, make sure to remind them it's a van, you can't park in underground carparks, you can't fit under their garage or gate and you can't fit around a corner that their mini can just barely make.

Also be on the look out for branches of trees, they aren't so bad but can give you a fright if you whack off a bunch of them.

As has been mentioned, mirrors, van mirrors are great, they should make all wing mirrors like they do van mirrors, you can just see so much more! They are great for reversing, I can see behind me and also my rear wheels so I can get pretty much 1cm or less tight to the curb. Oh and PARALLEL PARK. It's so much easier. Also, reverse into parking spots, you don't want to be reversing out blindly.

Also for filling stations, the pump wont stretch over the van like it would your corsa, so you'll have to park right beside the DIESEL pump. Also get used to asking for receipts for your fuel as I'm sure it's going to be a business related vehicle/fuel.

I have reversing sensors on my new Transit, they are great, see if your employer can have them fitted for you "just incase". Cheaper than paying out for a bollard/merc collision.

Take it safe and slowly, especially on country roads, you're wider and longer, slow down aproaching the likes of trucks etc as the road may get narrow all of a sudden and around blind corners you don't want to overstep your side of the road and meet a truck who has done the same.

If you're parked on a tight road, push your wing mirrors in so any passing vans wont knock them off with their own wing mirrors.

You'll have to use the All vehicles lane at toll bridges, no more cars only lane for you. And Vans are more expensive too:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

another thing ...

When you come to a T-junction, approach it square, head on. Don't already start to turn halfway into the turn before you come to a stop ...otherwise you won't be able to see out to the left, as your side window is pretty small and there are none in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

ninty9er,

All of the tips posted by peasant, cormie & JohnCleary are fantastic.........unless of course you new van is white!!

As is well known, white van drivers have no need for such decorations as mirrors, and indicators!!!......well that's just showing off! :D

But seriously, these tips are good, just take your time and before you know it you will be driving around like a Dublin courier with a deadline to meet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Every time you come back to the van, make an extra effort to take note of what's around it, especially behind. Look all around, and up!

When parallel parking you're better off reversing in. I was caught out years ago driving in to a parallel space. Turned in too early and the side of the van caught the corner of the car in the space behind.

Might also be an idea to carry a disposable camera just in case anything similar happens to you, to take pictures of any damage. The guy who's car I clipped turned out to be a right onanist. After I waited around for 20 odd minutes trying to find out who owned the car, to swap details, he insisted we wait for the Gardaí to come, another hour. The gards just said "sort it out yourselves" and a while later we got a solicitor's letter about the damage to the car and their client's injuries!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

milltown wrote:
    ...and a while later we got a solicitor's letter about the damage to the car and their client's injuries!
    :eek:
    What were they claiming? Was it entertained?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Was it hell? My boss rang the solicitor who hummed and hawed and then said it was just a standard letter he sends out in motor vehicle cases. I don't know if that's true or if they were just chancing their arm for a juicy no questions settlement.

Advertisement