Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglar Alarms in the middle of the night

Options
  • 11-10-2007 1:13am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone able to tell me what the rules are regarding burglar alarms? My limited understanding is that they can sound for twenty minutes and then must stop. There's one going off at the moment in a factory behind my house and I don't think I'll be getting any sleep tonight. It goes for ten minutes, then stops for twenty, then starts again. If it keeps up I may be tempted to lay hands on a ladder and a hammer and take action.
    p.s. not exactly sure if this is the appropriate forum, apologies if it isn't.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Hermy wrote:
    If it keeps up I may be tempted to lay hands on a ladder and a hammer and take action.
    p.s. not exactly sure if this is the appropriate forum, apologies if it isn't.
    Ring the Guards and make a complaint. Complain also to DCC or whatever local authority you are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Complain to the factory, suggesting that if they don't do something, you'll be make a council / court complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hermy wrote: »
    It goes for ten minutes, then stops for twenty, then starts again.
    A new law states that instead of it going all off all the time, it must pause for a while, before making more noise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks for the replies.
    I suppose the best thing would be to speak to someone from the factory first. They might surprise me and deal with the problem. Otherwise I will speak to the relevant authorities.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The guards are powerless in this matter dont waste your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 NealOCarroll

You can't win.

I tried not leaving the alarm on when I'm in the house. Then we had a drunken guy at the door at 3 in the morning, threatening to "break the door down". (He had the wrong house and thought I was with his girlfriend, or something).

So I got the dog into the hall and he barked until he scared the guy away.

Next thing, I get the neighbours complaining that the dog woke them up, and threatening to call the cops and the dog warden the whatnot.

This complaint arrived just after the neighbours had bene away for a couple of weeks, during which their alarm went off at least twice for no reason.

Grrr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A factory has high value equipment so I'm wondering why an employee isn't visiting the site when the alarm goes off. Many alarms will notify you if the alarm starts.(Eircom Phonewatch).

I mean if an alarm goes off and everyone ignores it then a professional gang won't be deterred.

Put a brick through a window in the factory OP and let's see the owners ignore the alarm then!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

micmclo wrote: »
    Put a brick through a window in the factory OP and let's see the owners ignore the alarm then!
    This is not acceptable behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

koolkid wrote: »
    The guards are powerless in this matter dont waste your time.

guards use that excuse on just about everything

if your important enough and the cops know you will write to there superiors if they dont give you enough attention , they will go to the chipper for a bag of chips if you ask them to

an gardai siochanna is ridden with politics in everything it does

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    guards use that excuse on just about everything

if your important enough and the cops know you will write to there superiors if they dont give you enough attention , they will go to the chipper for a bag of chips if you ask them to

an gardai siochanna is ridden with politics in everything it does

And what exactly do you expect the Guards to do??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

koolkid wrote: »
    And what exactly do you expect the Guards to do??

they can approach the owners of the business and demand an end to this nuisnance and diturbance of the peace , they can dress it up in whatever jargon they like

half the time guards just dont bother dealing with stuff , unless its someone they fear who complains to them that is and im not talking about criminals complaining either

Advertisement