Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pushing Daisies [** US Discussion Only - SPOILERS **]

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Just to claify, the episode I meant was last weeks and not Sunday's (Monday's?) ;)

The
    3 or 4 wife story stands were just all over the shop imho. I watched it tired but it made me think maybe its time to drop this particular US import as Ive been wanting to cut down on the shows I follow

I have the latest episode here to watch now, hopefully it gets back on track, Anna Friel is fantastic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

basquille wrote: »

PS - oh.. and this Emerson steals the show really. My favourite bit of the series so far is probably Emerson "calling money" half-way through this clip:

That is a fantastic bit agreed. A proper "lol" moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

basquille wrote: »
    Qs.. whatcha mean the show goes nowhere? Where you do want it to go? Do you mean in terms of an ongoing storyline? Well, how much story did you expect them to progress through after 2 episodes? I swear since shows like 'Lost' and 'Heroes', people want a mini-adventure an episode.

The show is a slow-burner. We gets little developments here and there but it's not a drama. It's a show which excels in the way the story is told, the gorgeous scenaries and the witty dialogue.

If you want a show that "goes somewhere", i recommend something a little more dramatic.

Theres a lack of plot. And since the shows set itself up the one show plots just aren't interesting. And yeah maybe we are spoilt with good stories and writing on other shows these days but thats modern television. Its the standard you are going to be compared to.

Yeah Emersons great and I find Ned quite likeable too. And I enjoy Olive too. Anna Friels character is horrible though.

I just think its a show the premièred so well, got rave reviews and now has dropped a bit in terms of entertainment. It seems to be just riding the hype now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

that episode was a dip in form after the very high standard of the first group of episodes but still very enjoyable IMO. I think this show needs to have its single episode plots related to the overall plot and that is where this one failed apart from the notion of Ned's possible bigimy i.e Olive to touch and Chuck to love. The plot from all the other episodes added to the overall wether it be explaining Olives past, Chucks aunts or the person Ned "killed" bringing back Chuck long term.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Qs wrote: »
    Theres a lack of plot. And since the shows set itself up the one show plots just aren't interesting. And yeah maybe we are spoilt with good stories and writing on other shows these days but thats modern television. Its the standard you are going to be compared to.
    Do you mean a lack of a story arc or a plot each week? Not every show needs an ongoing mythos and nor should every show have one. I don't think "Pushing Daises" needs each week to uncover more of the Pie Maker's abilities and instead play with what it has.

The fact that some shows employ this story ac model isn't in itself good writing - it's quite clear that "Lost" makes up vast chunks as it goes along and "Heroes" second season is widely regarded as being quite weak (even by the show's creators itself). The nonsense that "24" became last year shows how often a continuous one-story concept spread out can be a poor idea.

Now if you find them weak plot-wise at an episodic level, I'd argue that this is not a plot-driven episode. It's not an investigative drama, despite the investigation. It's focused on characters, light humour, and a sweet romance with a strong dash of quirky. It's unashamedly sentimental and I like to see it as an alternate take on the drama model employed elsewhere - do we really really need yet another drawn out story about some investigate unit following down some shading deal/kidnapping/government conspiracy? I agree that the plots in themselves are somewhat weak (something that put me off "Wonderfalls") but I feel the other elements and sheer charm of the show balances it more than enough back out. And I'm someone who revels in the layered complexity of "The Wire" so I'm far from adverse to narrative-heavy story telling.

I'm still enjoying this show each week and, with only one weak episode (the same as PullMyFinger!), I like the fact that this show brings a warm smile to my face each week. I may not be intellectually stimulated, I may not require sewing thread to stitch up my proverbial sides, but I'm most certainly entertained and feel the better for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

it was only a single episode dip in form as far as im concerned as I very much so enjoyed the new episode, and even then last weeks episode was good by general T.V standards IMHO. as far as im concerned this is the best new show on TV (including Chuck which im currently enjoying)

although i am confused as im refering here to episode 7 now "Death by scrath and sniff! what the hell hapened to people shooting each other with guns" which you (Basquille) quoted when I was talking about last weeks as were the others I believe... have i fallen a week behind?

*rushes off to give my American cousins a shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Right so I'm only seeing 9 episodes of this on most TV listing sights and I was just wondering if the series was indeed just 9 episodes or is it "taking a break" like loads of other shows?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

im...LOST wrote: »
    Right so I'm only seeing 9 episodes of this on most TV listing sights and I was just wondering if the series was indeed just 9 episodes or is it "taking a break" like loads of other shows?
    It's got a full season order. Not sure if we'll see any more episodes though after the traditional Xmas break, what with that pesky WGA strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Yeah, the 9th episode is the last episode that they have written. So it'll be the last until the strike ends, which could be a LONG time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement