Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help getting my baby to sleep through the night

Options
  • 11-10-2007 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

After 8 months we really need help with this, For a while she was sleeping through the night but then she got a cold and had trouble breathing through her nose, which ruined her nights sleep (and ours). The cold is almost gone now but she still aint sleeping. Last night for example, she went down at around 8, we went down at around 11. She woke at 12 and stayed awake for an hour or more. She doent cry much when she wakes, just stands up in the cot and wants to play!

How do you get them to sleep through the night.

any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Wow, sounds like we're in the same boat. My DD is 10 months and has been battling a chesty cough for a while now, which of course wrecks everyone's sleep (except the husband's...he somehow sleeps through it all) :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I don't really think there's anyway to "solve" the problem...if you daughter used to be in the habit of sleeping at night, I'd imagine she'll get back into it if you are consistent and patient. What did you used to do to get her to sleep? If she awoke before, what would you do to put her back down?

In our case, I found that going to comfort my DD and put her back down actually escalated her excitement and/or frustration. As much as I didn't like it, I found that if I just let her fuss for a few minutes she'd usually settle herself. Of course, I've learned her different fusses, and can tell when it's time to get up.

I think it's also important to ensure that if you do get up to comfort her, it doesn't become playtime. That will only reinforce her waking.

In any case, I think time, patience and consistency usually win out in the end. I don't think there's any other solution...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

We had this for a while with our little monster who is now 9 and a half months. He woke at regular intervals as per OPs little one and was worse when he had an illness. In the end we used the 'cry it out' method. After 3 nights things were perfect - he goes down at 7ish and wakes at 6/6.30. The first night was hard work as he took over an hour to settle, but we stuck with it and it worked.

We use Karvol to help him breath when he has any sign of a cold - and we find it quite good.

I hope that's of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

barryfitz wrote: »
    Last night for example, she went down at around 8, we went down at around 11. She woke at 12 and stayed awake for an hour or more.

Why don't you start by putting the baby to sleep closer to the time you go to sleep. My mum's method was; in the hour before bed, half feed baby, wind baby, give baby most the rest of feed, wind baby and change baby's nappy. Give baby breast/bottle again for few minutes till baby falls asleep, put baby to bed - go to bed herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Thanks guys. I was so tired yesterday I see I wrote 8 months, She's actually 11 Months:o. Thanks for the suggestions.

Crosstownk
    Yea we use Karvol and a rub called "snufflebaby" (Like vicks but for babies) and it certainly helps, sometimes we put a pillow in to keep her head elevated and that definetly helps.

We are going to try the "cry it out" method, hate the thoughts of it though!

Ayla
    We didnt do anything different to get her to sleep the night when she used to. She just started sleeping from 8 till 6 or 7 in the morning. then the cold wrecked everything. We would never start playing with her at night when she wakes though, it was always a nappy change or a feed and then back down. No messin.

iguana,
    sorry but theres no way we could drag her out until past 8 O'clock. We have tried but she just gets so sleepy and cranky its not worth it. And theres no way im goin to bed at 8, I only get home at have six.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

We found a humidifier helped with nipping a cold/cough in the bud and giving them a easier night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Poor you.

I'm not one for letting babies get hysterical crying at nightime but if it's just whining I'd leave her to it, that way she learns to put herself back to sleep all by herself.

Best of luck & remember it generally only takes a few days to make or break a habit with smallies of this age.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

We've found there's nothing like a little nip of Jameson in the bottle... she'll be to sleep in no time :-)

Only joking of course.

We've found exactly the same as other posters. You have a wonderful routine established and baby is sleeping soundly most nights. Then they get sick... and you give baby the benefit of the doubt and lots of comfort and cuddles. Baby likes all that. Baby gets better but already the routine has changed... now baby expects cuddles and comfort.

It's amazing... it takes weeks to establish a routine and one sneeze to break it! It's just a matter of being strong and re-establishing the status quo before the onset of the snuffles. Think of what you did to get baby to sleep through the night in the first place... how you established the routine in the first place.

Best of luck... I know how frustrating it can be. I've heard our little girl screaming in the middle of the night like she was having visions of the apolcalypse... and when we turn up in her room, she's in an instant fit of giggles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

IMO as they grow their routine changes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

For head colds I found Karvol and the mattress raised slightly at the head worked to stop the child waking from breathing difficulties.

Also make a reasonable fuss about telling the child that you understand that the sneeze/breathing woke her up and your were doing all you could to help her sleep, talk lightly, maybe a bit more “medicine” on the chest, a different comfort toy when she has a cold, anything to settle her back and thinking about how important she is and how important it is to get some sleep to keep the colds away, how this new comfort teddy will help her back to sleep when she wakes etc. Plenty of quiet talk before bedtime when they have a cold, let her know that you understand she has a running rose, and that if she wakes up you understand and will help her sleep.

Also don’t worry too much about streaming noses (unless it’s a lot) the action of wiping and blowing their nose may be waking her further.

Also remember it just happens, my 2 /12 year has gone through about 7 or 8 different sleeping patterns so far. Imagine the fun you are going to have when she walks into your room at 3 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

For colds, we've found that raising the temp in the bedroom and removing blankets does the job. Seems to give a better nights rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CHELSEA-H-L

my daughter was like that from when she was born and I had that till she was a year and a half only difference was she had got a cold but i figured out that if i didn't let her nap after two she was going down at eight for the night .

I went through a week of hell trying ta keep her a wake all day but she got used ta it and now she is 2 she goes ta bed and half 6 and gets up at 7 and does not nap during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

CHELSEA-H-L please don't use txt spk, it make reading posts incredibly difficult for those who don't have English as a first language and those who have dyslexia. Thank you.

Advertisement