Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chip and Pin - what a joke

Options
  • 11-10-2007 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

Chip and pin has been with us for a while now and most every shop, petrol station restaurant etc have upgraded to this system. However im yet to see it being used correctly. The system is designed so that the card does not leave your possession, yet every time i produce my card the teller has to take it to skimm it into the till before entering it in to the chip and pin machine.
    Yesterday was the worst iv seen - nice restaurant/bar in cork, my friend produced a credit card to pay for a meal. The barman then took the card down the other end of the bar out of site and returned with the remote pin machine. I said it to him in a nice way that he shouldn't have left with the card and should have come over with the machine. but then the pin machine would not work so far away from its docking station so he had to take it to the other end of the bar.

so what is you expoerience with this super secure :rolleyes: chip and pin system

What did you experience "the last" time you used your credit card 21 votes

The teller did not have to touch the card
    0% 0 votes
    The teller had to swipe it into the till first
    42% 9 votes
    The teller left with the card and returned with the pin machine
    38% 8 votes
    the teller brought the pin device to me but had to swipe it in till first
    19% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I'm still being asked to sign my name in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've been asked to sign my name a few times as well.

OP- what do you mean that the teller had to skim the card into the till? I don't understand what involvement with the till that there would be. Usually the person takes the card from me and pops it into the CC machine. The till has never been involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

eo980 wrote:
    I've been asked to sign my name a few times as well.

OP- what do you mean that the teller had to skim the card into the till? I don't understand what involvement with the till that there would be. Usually the person takes the card from me and pops it into the CC machine. The till has never been involved!

its happened to me in at least two places. Halfords cork is one wher they have to skimm the card on the CC slot on the till before placing it into the chip and pin card reader and the other place was a petrol station that i visit regularry

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

OK, I've changed the poll to say the word swipe, not skim. Swiping is the terminology, skimming is something entirely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

all of the above really...

I think its gettng better in most places. If the machine is in front of me like dunnes or tesco's I just put it in. But some places like garages need to swipe it first!!!

Restaurants are the worst, the can just walk off with your card, doing god know what.

I've not have to sign for anything from when Chip and Pin was brought in.

Afterall its better than the US. Every shop I was in they just swipe it, make you sign with a digital pen on a pad thats very worn out and you can bearly make out what your doing and thats that..... there was one shop that just swiped my card and handed me the goods.

Best advice is to always follow you card!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's getting better I guess but I've seen too many times this scenario.

Person: I forgot my PIN
    Shop Assistant: No problem, just sign for it

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

ciaranfo wrote: »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup... lots of retail outlets still use the by-pass, or others with chip and pin machines just not working.
    In this case, the onus falls back on the retailer and they may be liable if that
    transaction later turns out to be fraudulent AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Does it really matter if they skim the card? If they don't have your pin they can't do anything with it. Thats why losing a laser was always worse, as anyone can forge a signature but if you're in the habit of covering your pin, wherever you enter it then you've not much to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

ciaranfo wrote: »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That happens in many places. The place i work for accepts credit cards but doesn't use chip & pin for a variety of reasons. There is no problem with it for the company other than if there did turn out to be a fradulant transaction, we are liable for the costs. We are very low risk in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You should try using one in Poland! Nearly every store I went to couldn't figure it out, and told me that I'd have to go get cash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The point of chip and pin isn't so the card never leaves your sight; it's so the banks are no longer responsible for credit card fraud, e.g. the criminal must have known your pin number, so it's your fault.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I work in retail and I find the big problem since the introduction of the chip & pin system is the amount of people using cards that aren't actually theirs. It's usually family members who have given their card and pin to their wife, husband, son, etc. When they're just entering the pin we're unlikely to notice but in cases where the machine is broken and we have to get them to sign things can get a bit awkward. And then there's people who seem to think because of chip & pin they don't have to sign the back of their cards anymore.

When on a till I usually do take the card and insert it into the pin machine for the customer but only because I find most people don't know how to put it in correctly or will start entering their pin too early despite my repeated pleas to wait a moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I work in retail and I find the big problem since the introduction of the chip & pin system is the amount of people using cards that aren't actually theirs. It's usually family members who have given their card and pin to their wife, husband, son, etc. When they're just entering the pin we're unlikely to notice but in cases where the machine is broken and we have to get them to sign things can get a bit awkward. And then there's people who seem to think because of chip & pin they don't have to sign the back of their cards anymore.

When on a till I usually do take the card and insert it into the pin machine for the customer but only because I find most people don't know how to put it in correctly or will start entering their pin too early despite my repeated pleas to wait a moment.
    The people who don't sign the card - tell them you cannot accept it - point them to the bit that says "not valid unless signed" - if you're in the mood for a nice little argument :)

As for things getting awkward when it's not their card - it's not their card. Tough.

Advertisement