Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So I crashed the car...insurance repercussions?

Options
  • 11-10-2007 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

There I was, minding my own business, on my way to work, when out of nowhere, a car park pillar lept forward and tore into the passanger side panel on my car! Unfortunately, there was no witnesses to back up my story, so a claim again the car park won't stand up.:D (at least I hope there were no witnesses!)

I have full no claims discount protection, so I'm not concerned as such about making a claim through my insurance.

My question is - say I change cars and look for new quote from the insurance co., is it possible that then they could quote me higher, to recoup their loss, as it were?

Because, if I look for quotes elsewhere, wouldn't I need to disclose this claim - and this would affect a quote from another co.?

Any comments appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Damn pillars, I believe you OP though thousands wouldn't.

Not sure about the first part of your post.

But if you claim against your insurance and then start looking for quotes off other companies, you definitly have to declare this. Even if they don't ask you, still declare it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

No claims protection only counts for your current insurer. Your NCB statement will include details of any claim made and any other company will just apply the number of years since the claim as your NCB despite your current insurer allowing you a full NCB. Think of it as a set of handcuffs that give the claim paying insurer a few more years of your business to recoup some of their loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

alias no.9 wrote:
    No claims protection only counts for your current insurer. Your NCB statement will include details of any claim made and any other company will just apply the number of years since the claim as your NCB despite your current insurer allowing you a full NCB. Think of it as a set of handcuffs that give the claim paying insurer a few more years of your business to recoup some of their loss.

Not true all the time. I am with FBD and had a claim. I went to AXA for a quote last renewal and told them I had a claim but have fully protected NCB. They said they would recognise my full NCB. One of the other companies also recognised by full NCB, can't remember who they were though.

Advertisement