Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

i.t parking

• 11-10-2007 10:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭

just dropped my girlfriend off at the i.t jesus parking is insane down there, if god forbid there was a fire in the college I don't know how emergency services would gain access to the college with the erratic parking there. I heard that the Gardai are to get involved and a local parking company to try and solve the mess there. people drive who live across the road from the college, are students that lazy now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭lynch_3001

people drive who live across the road from the college, are students that lazy now?
    why yes they are. the biggest problem is the colleges proximity to the town got out of my car to the car beside me getting out a babies walker, and two women not of even mature student age heading leasurely down the town. also the vocation school beside us bringing cars in to our car park when they have their own car park.

2 solutions are on the table atm, both of which can be introduced simaltaniously(i know, inside info)-

multi-storey car park, like dcu. probably on two levels.

and the barriers beng put up at the gates and the student car would be the only way to access or a staff card. and you pay a small premium for your space every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Yeah, the car parking is crazy!! They are even parked up on the grass verge on the Kilkenny road road too!! :rolleyes:, I seen one guy, a couple of weeks back drive into the college from the Kilkenny Rd entrance, turn right into the first college car park, through the park and up onto the grass as unconcerned as if it were an extension of the carpark itself! Hence the raised bollards you now see on that carpark.

People are gone lazy, simply put, it'd be interesting to see just how many people who drive could actually walk, but I think its a case of 'look at meh, I have a car, pfftt....I dont need to walk anymore!',

Before you know it there'll be no grass areas left, it'll just be one big carpark :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,688 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yeah, im walking in from the slip road entrance and I see some idiot pull out of the estate right across the way, cross the road, and park behind the gym. Oh, the irony.

People who have cars have lost their sense of distance: if you had a car and lived in college green - you would drive in. Its ridiculously stupid.

Given my choice i'd install barriers and enforce Card/Accounts/Stickers: and you wouldnt be allowed to apply for one unless you had a proof of adress showing you lived further away than half a mile. Completely ****ed up is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lynch_3001 wrote: »
    why yes they are. the biggest problem is the colleges proximity to the town got out of my car to the car beside me getting out a babies walker, and two women not of even mature student age heading leasurely down the town. also the vocation school beside us bringing cars in to our car park when they have their own car park.

2 solutions are on the table atm, both of which can be introduced simaltaniously(i know, inside info)-

multi-storey car park, like dcu. probably on two levels.

and the barriers beng put up at the gates and the student car would be the only way to access or a staff card. and you pay a small premium for your space every year

thats a two way street if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I live in college green and I walk in most days because I can't be arsed driving in and looking for a space, its nearly quicker to walk.

• Advertisement

I live in college green and I walk in most days because I can't be arsed driving in and looking for a space, its nearly quicker to walk.

Did you want a medal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Overheal wrote: »
    Did you want a medal?

do you want a smack?

i dont know about you guys but has anybody ever heard of a carpool?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

im a lazy fecker so i drive to college, its a massive 30 second drive

Thats how america got obese - lazy people turn into fat people by means of a scooter

• Advertisement

You ask me do I want a medal for walking to college and then complain about people getting fat... You just bored or something buddy?

Meh - I was itchin for a fight :p

I mean to say is thats the way it should be - walk in from College Green or Bullock Pk in my case; im not special because I choose not to occupy a parking space :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

i walk half an hour to and from college every day and most days i refuse a lift home cause its easier than spending 10 minutes doing nothing or looking for the car, 10 minutes getting out of the college and 10 minutes driving. it is funny though the people i see driving from that estate called new street, i see them getting into their cars as i walk past their house and im always always in college before them...

Meh - I was itchin for a fight :p

I mean to say is thats the way it should be - walk in from College Green or Bullock Pk in my case; im not special because I choose not to occupy a parking space :)

you dont because you dont have the car or the means to have one as your an import!!

i walk half an hour to and from college every day and most days i refuse a lift home cause its easier than spending 10 minutes doing nothing or looking for the car, 10 minutes getting out of the college and 10 minutes driving. it is funny though the people i see driving from that estate called new street, i see them getting into their cars as i walk past their house and im always always in college before them...

They have a right to drive if they want, i like to have my car with me to keep stuff in and incase i'm going into town or something straight after college

True, but still makes you feel for people who commute and can't get a space.

They have a right to drive if they want, i like to have my car with me to keep stuff in and incase i'm going into town or something straight after college

Town? Kildare town......Wexford town.....WHAT!! Surely you cant mean.....

......Carlow town!!?? :p

Its hardly 'that' far away, you can almost see it from the college, yep you have a right I guess, but walking is so much better for you :D (have I convinced you to leave the car at home yet??)

Town? Kildare town......Wexford town.....WHAT!! Surely you cant mean.....

......Carlow town!!?? :p

Its hardly 'that' far away, you can almost see it from the college, yep you have a right I guess, but walking is so much better for you :D (have I convinced you to leave the car at home yet??)
    total agree maybe the closest place is right across the town, not across the road

Bottom line is it's a car park for the college, if you a student you are entitled to park there. It's not your fault its ridiculously full from 9 - 3.
    If you can get a space every morning fair play to you.

that is true but at the same time there is ppl, coming from much further distances who need the spaces other than ppl from across the street who only want them, you forget that carlow is the only i.t. in like the three surrounding counties

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Yeah, the car parking is crazy!! They are even parked up on the grass verge on the Kilkenny road road too!! :rolleyes:, I seen one guy, a couple of weeks back drive into the college from the Kilkenny Rd entrance, turn right into the first college car park, through the park and up onto the grass as unconcerned as if it were an extension of the carpark itself! Hence the raised bollards you now see on that carpark.

I cannot tell you how many times I've nearly been hit trying to turn left coming out of the college [i live in kilkenny so you don't think i'm lazy or anything] because of cars parked on the green obstructing the view of traffic. I can't see anything until I'm nearly out in the road.

I would love to take the bus but its too bloody expensive. €9 for a student. To do that 5 days a week its the equivalent to a tank of gas in a car.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I cannot tell you how many times I've nearly been hit trying to turn left coming out of the college [i live in kilkenny so you don't think i'm lazy or anything] because of cars parked on the green obstructing the view of traffic. I can't see anything until I'm nearly out in the road.

I would love to take the bus but its too bloody expensive. €9 for a student. To do that 5 days a week its the equivalent to a tank of gas in a car.

right i say we should jack them....

right i say we should jack them....

That or clamp them or just put the barriers that they put on the sidewalks. Anything will stop them from parking there will be good.

well the problem with clamping is that they cant move the cars i say tow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

We could blow them up! They wouldn't think twice about parking if we blew the **** out of their car! Mainly because they wouldn't have a car anymore but hey it'd be fun if nothing else!!! :D:D:D

agreed. i will get the explosives and you get the wiring and setting off mechs and we can pass turns back and forth

As I walk home I always pass that set of cars that parks ON the back gate (ie. on the sides leading up to the entrance and that awkward metal speedbump) and the bastards are always blocking the road... So Im strongly consdiering just scraping my keys along each one:

"stop parking here kthx"

may i join you in that indevor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

I'm always up for a good keying! Well if I'm honest general destruction I'm alway up for!!! :D:):D

• Advertisement

Thats all well and good: but stay away from the keyboards and mice... the great trackball heist of 2006 was annoying as hell. I carry my own mouse now :p

yeah that was f'ing annoying!! thank god they replaced most of the mice with the opticals. whats left for them to steal i wonder

yeah that was f'ing annoying!! thank god they replaced most of the mice with the opticals. whats left for them to steal i wonder

Students were stealing equipment that don't work? Wow. some students must be desperate for a rep.

no they were stealing the balls out of the old style mice.

Sadly I know of something they could steal that would drive me nuts - so Im not going to say what it is unless someone guesses correctly.

Sadly I know of something they could steal that would drive me nuts - so Im not going to say what it is unless someone guesses correctly.

the toilets?

• Advertisement

that sounds like a plan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭patrickc

how about just burning the i.t? would stop the parking problems and save students headaches with exams and the like:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Guys. If ye are seriously disgruntled about all this ye should really consider talking to the Student Union or doing something that may have a serious impact on the situation. Joking (at least I hope ye are joking) to set fire to stuff doesnt help anybody and may cause issues if someone comes on here and believes ye are serious.

With that in mind, please keep the threats/jokes of vandalism to irc or pub talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

like anything will happen, last year they brought in the sticker thing to stop nonstudents parking their cars there and then getting the bus to kilkenny for the day which happened a lot! if something is to be done you'd have to find out how much it would cost for a multi storey or underground carpark and then try fundraise the money cos the college wont fund it all! just keep pushing at the SU, get a petition, have a strike, make a carpark sociey, anything to get your voice heard, but think about it logically, you'll have to have some sort of decent plan in place for it! you cant just demand something be done, cos they dont have answers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭gazman59

car park is joke der talkin bout building multi story car park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

See there putting down high curbs behind the library so you cant park there anymore. You'd swear they were trying to make it worse.:mad:

Every morning in the front carpark now I see cars parked in the three disabled spots, and I havent seen any disabled stickers displayed on the cars, the yellow box, marked in front of the ramp also makes for a nice parking space. But hey, its ok, no one with a wheelchair may need access to it! :mad::(

For God sake people WALK if you can!!!!!!!! Dont be so freakin' lazy!!

they are putting the high curbs up as car park there blocking the ramp so wheelchairs cant get up and down.
    my mom has a bluesticker, but to my knowledge alot of ppl who are definitely disabled dont get them as they are a nuisence, and very easily damaged, but i know that the red audi that parks there doesnt show his blue sticker but IS in a wheelchair. so those are the excuses for the past two

Ima start keying all the fancy sports cars that park illegally/improperly

so if you love your vehicle.... Park proper or walk!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

This thread really isnt going anywhere constructive and I think you have all had plenty of oppurtunity to vent.

Closed before it becomes the catalyst for something scary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement