Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with localism

Options
  • 11-10-2007 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

We have all been there, waiting for your set, a couple of locals shouting to each other to show you how "in" they are, making smart comments, ignoring the friendly waves of others, boasting about the thirty footer they caught last week, generally making a fool of themselves.

Here are some good tips in dealing with localism that won't cause trouble.

http://www.ehow.com/how_10609_deal-with-localism.html

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭aongo

no need to panic yet, there is little if any localism in ireland in my experience...
    it's important to be friendly when you paddle out, behave well, and by all means read the tips above, but 99% of tensions in irish waters come from a overly-busy spot at a weekend, rather than any true "localism" issues.
    most locals avoid these spots under these conditions and surf elsewhere...
    i know 'cos i'm a NW local (well, "pseudo-local" if you want to be technical!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Jaysus aongo, your a blow in in anywhere in Ireland unless you born and bred there! ;)

Not exactly panicking, but its good advise for anywhere, I wasn't targeting Ireland.

I have come across really bad vibes in Ireland however. I tend to do most of my surfing in the winter now to avoid the crowds in summer.

I often salute locals in a friendly way with a wave, a nod, or a comment on the waves to be answered with a hairy eyeball or a grunt. Once a local stared at me, looked over at his pal, laughed and paddled off?:(

On the other hand, I have met some really really friendly locals on the water, helpfull and eager to warn me of the dangers and delights of the break.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭aongo

ha, ha, hence my pseudo-local status, you're not a local anywhere unless ya can account for 5 generations and been here since the famine... :)

ya i know a fair few lads up here, vast majority sound, with an occasional jackass... but usually doesn't impact a line-up as they're tw*ts out of the water too...

that guy sounded like a complete pr*ck however... no call for that

Yeah, I find a couple of jackasses in a large group can sometimes really spoil things. Fair play to you for not letting it bother you. Mostly happened to me in the SouthWest. Pity really. I agree with you, most of the gang up your way are a decent pack of people, great local advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Spoony2

From experence the only localisim ive experenced is the none locals they give you **** tell them to **** of the majority of times there pussy's. the only place you respect locals is the nort shore etc, ireland dont most of them are little wuss bags trying to be the man and if they do step up to you knock them down persoanlly any local pi'ss me of il go for them ive been surfing since i was 9 years old and im 25 now as far as im concerned ive way more right's to be out there.

Best way to get to no the locals is play them in pool but dont aim to kick there arse but do beat them if you can but just get to no them allways works from a locals perspective...

As for the jay admas and stacy parolta wannabes simple tell them to piss of ...

• Advertisement

Pardon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

I find I never get hassle but some people are just damn rude.....for instance you'd be out the back with only a few people out.................maybe 10 yards from someone - i'd always make the effort (whether I was out first or they were) to wave and say "how ya doin" - in some spots though the majority of the time you'd be blanked - like come on - we're both out at sea, there's nobody else about - if either of us gets into trouble we'd be expecting the other to haul our asses out.....and we can't even have the decency to say hello - seems strange to me.....I think an important point was made in the link above - if someone hassles you don't roll over and be scared......just ignore them but keep your dignity

But this is surfing its the most pretenous sport in history.... FAct

DAVE_K wrote: »
    if someone hassles you don't roll over and be scared......just ignore them but keep your dignity

Exactly.

Spoon, are you trying to say your have experienced localism from non locals?

Because you have been surfing since you are 9 and you are now a wise old 25 year old gives you more rights to be out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

the majority of times there pussy's
    most of them are little wuss bags
    as far as im concerned ive way more right's to be out there.

healthy, mature attitude there

• Advertisement

lightening wrote: »
    Exactly.

Spoon, are you trying to say your have experienced localism from non locals?

Because you have been surfing since you are 9 and you are now a wise old 25 year old gives you more rights to be out there?

yeah , differnce ona busy day n local will be any where near a tourist beach the onlyones that go there are the people who surf the same break day in day out does that make sence ?

i'm trying to put across the fact that ive been surfiong long rnough to no when im deeling with a local and some wannabe make sence ???

Spoony2 wrote: »
    yeah , differnce ona busy day n local will be any where near a tourist beach the onlyones that go there are the people who surf the same break day in day out does that make sence ?

No, I'm sorry, you are not making sense.
    i'm trying to put across the fact that ive been surfiong long rnough to no when im deeling with a local and some wannabe make sence ???

No. What is a wannabe? A learner, an inexperienced surfer? Surely you can get local "wannabe's" too.

I think your missing the point. I just came across some good advice on dealing with localism properly without causing agro. You came in talking about Knocking people down, pussy's, wuss bags and the fact that you have more right to be out there and playing pool. Have a look at the link I posted and try and use your keyboard properly.

No, I'm sorry, you are not making sense.

No. What is a wannabe? A learner, an inexperienced surfer? Surely you can get local "wannabe's" too.

I think your missing the point. I just came across some good advice on dealing with localism properly without causing agro. You came in talking about Knocking people down, pussy's, wuss bags and the fact that you have more right to be out there and playing pool. Have a look at the link I posted and try and use your keyboard properly.

( for someone who is trying to be the nice calm type surfer your doing a good job of chafing my ass. Actuly look at what your saying to me because from where I'm standing you come across as a A$$ hole (not trying to insult you there).)

Ok my best attempt to make sence. Oh and sorry i never really went to school all that often was to busy surfing and having fun as a child not stuck in class room.

tho i had to stop for a number of years....

Right surfing explained

OK you get the local surfers in the direct area your in, they wont be there.
    Iif there is surf chances are there going to be some where better,(secret spot) With me ?

The people who you come across 9 times out of 10 are the lads from a 40 mile away town who are dickheads these dickheads fancy them selves as "locals" because they surf that break all the time, there usually noisy, have all the gear and no idea, they are the pussy's, wuss bags.

They have there own little unit and they think there untouchable. And as for agro, sometimes your in the wrong place at the wrong time and you have to step to fact if you dont like it avoid them.

I'm not an asshole. And I'm not responsible for your ass being chaffed, maybe that was a "gay" longboarder. (see your other post on another thread)

Your explanation is terrible, I think I have an idea of what you are trying to get at, you just cant seem to articulate it. I have heard about these clicks or gangs of territorial dopes on various breaks. But you are coming accross as arrogant, cocksure, eletist and immature.

I'm not an asshole. And I'm not responsible for your ass being chaffed, maybe that was a "gay" longboarder. (see your other post on another thread)

Your explanation is terrible, I think I have an idea of what you are trying to get at, you just cant seem to articulate it. I have heard about these clicks or gangs of territorial dopes on various breaks. But you are coming accross as arrogant, cocksure, eletist and immature.

Well maybe because im dyslexic!

you have heard about them ? well hearing about them again So maybe you should listen up dont you think

But you are coming accross as arrogant, cocksure, eletist and immature.

Im so hurt that some one on the internet called me that.

Well maybe because im dyslexic!

you have heard about them ? well hearing about them again So maybe you should listen up dont you think

Use spellcheck. I am listening up, your still not making much sense.

Im so hurt that some one on the internet called me that.

I didn't call you that, I said you are coming across like that, calm your posts down, think about them and read the link I posted and take some advice from it.

Use spellcheck. I am listening up, your still not making much sense.

I didn't call you that, I said you are coming across like that, calm your posts down, think about them and read the link I posted and take some advice from it.

Ive tried to make sense but i cant im sorry.

Why would i need to read it I have my own personal beach to surf :D:cool:

and i have surfed enough breaks and know how to show my respect to the locals well the true locals not the clowns...

and if i may recommend go surfing in Cornwall you'll see how bad it is over there .....

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

I agree lightening on the anti-localism issue.
    I really don't get how people can feel some ownership while sitting in the water waiting for a wave. to be honest I have yet to encounter this too. For the most part I have found people in the water to be very friendly or at worst keep to themselves.

fade2che wrote: »
    I agree lightening on the anti-localism issue.
    I really don't get how people can feel some ownership while sitting in the water waiting for a wave. to be honest I have yet to encounter this too. For the most part I have found people in the water to be very friendly or at worst keep to themselves.

Hell yeah some people are cool but certain places a few cave men hang around

Cornwall on the other hand wooo some people there are pure stress heads...But they really do get shat on

Why would i need to read it I have my own personal beach to surf :D:cool:

Good for you. I must find out where it is and check it out.;)

• Advertisement

Good for you. I must find out where it is and check it out.;)

Yeah im going to give you directions to where i surf it's my beach well it hasnt got a name so its my beach ....:D

Shouldn't be to hard to find, Achille is a small Island, I know most of it and with your boastfull attitude and distinctive board....

loose lips sink ships. ;)

Shouldn't be to hard to find, Achille is a small Island, I know most of it and with your boastfull attitude and distinctive board....

loose lips sink ships. ;)

You Know what they say assumption's are the mother of all muck ups :D..

im no where near achill tho i could tell you a could fishing spot in achill caught a nice bass up there a few weeks ago.... :)

just because i know who runs what and where dont mean live there:)

I am on the west coast tho nice day to day ... :D:p

i did leanr to surf in achill many moons ago tho in apair of short jeans and a cag and yes my balls have never returned properly and it was hard core but changed things for ever.

That's marvelous. Well, enjoy yourself on your very own beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

what the hell is going on here? i've really never come across more overstressed and anal people as i have in surfing. Not everybody of course.

jtsuited wrote: »
    what the hell is going on here? i've really never come across more overstressed and anal people as i have in surfing. Not everybody of course.

Good point! I get enough stress in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

jtsuited wrote: »

If you're basing your perceived image of surfers on what you read on boards then you are mistaken I think.

I've never encountered anything but friendly people in the water and need to stop and scratch my head when I read threads like this.

cornbb wrote: »
    I've never encountered anything but friendly people in the water

Its not every week this happens, just once in a while. Good to hear you meet good people all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Good to hear you meet good people all the time.

Weeeeell... i did hear some posh sounding knob-end threatening to punch a guy once. But nothing other than that.

• Advertisement

cornbb wrote: »
    Weeeeell... i did hear some posh sounding knob-end threatening to punch a guy once. But nothing other than that.

lol... Really! That's gas.

I havent come across much like that, just an "air" of unfriendlyness. Mind you, I dropped in on a guy once (I was a beginner and looked it) He was really cool about it once I apologised, and then he gave me free lessons!

Thanks fella in Strandhill!

Advertisement