Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No parking in Athlone

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

eoinhealy wrote: »
    If they clamped my car I would simply cut the clamp off! They have no legal right to tamper with my car. The only way they can put a clamp on your car is if the ticket machines were working. Because without them, there is no print-out to show what time you arrived at the car park, just the say-so of a guy walking around with a clipboard.

so you carry a gas powered angle grinder in your boot? Yes they do have a legal right, you're parking on their property.

they're not using clipboards, they're using machines. The way it's done is, they take your reg for that parking space, and mark its time. When they come back around to do their loop of those spaces, they flick through the spaces, if your car is still there over it's 3hr slot they know. If you were to move your car to another space before your 3 hrs are up, or before they get to loop around to your car, your car gets alloted another 3 hrs, because it's in a different space.

This all depends on the time it takes them to do their section, and how often they do it, in theory, you could get away with 4 maybe 5 hrs before they actually get around to you again.

So has anyone been driving around the past 2 days? I've reverted to using my bike again, traffic is just too crazy. I cant' wait for the chaos when the cresent reopens, the people of athlone don't know how to use roundabouts with trafficlights, it's unheard of :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭eoinhealy

LizzyD wrote: »
    Anyone notice how most of the workers in ATC seem to be from Dublin... just saying... also, dear god if they (GI, town council, whoever) don't sort out the parking soon... well there'll be more bitching done, and maybe an angry letter to the editor!

Hi Lizzy, nice to meet you, I'm Eoin, and i'm from Dublin. LoL only kidding.

But your right, there are alot of 'bleedin dubs' :D working at the site. Not me of course, I actually drive to Dublin to work.... I got a bit of a fright this morning, left River Village, headed down the by-pass, got to the end where lately you had to cross on to the other side of it, but at 5 this morning I was still half asleep and nearly ran all the red & white cones down. I was suppose to go left on to the new bridge, but I for some silly reason was vearing right to cross to the far side. Thought I was going to an early grave!! :eek:
    BoB_BoT wrote:
    This all depends on the time it takes them to do their section, and how often they do it, in theory, you could get away with 4 maybe 5 hrs before they actually get around to you again.

You dont have much time left to stop in BKing or go to the cinema.... "Can you pause the film please, I just have to move my car down 2 spaces" LoL

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    So has anyone been driving around the past 2 days? I've reverted to using my bike again, traffic is just too crazy. I cant' wait for the chaos when the cresent reopens, the people of athlone don't know how to use roundabouts with trafficlights, it's unheard of :P

I'm just getting used to driving amongst Athlone driver (it's taking 4 years), and now I have to battle on lighted roundabouts. I find that alot of people in Athlone find it hard to figure out who has the right of way on an ordinary roundabout, and the red light to alot of other people means go really fast before the Garda see ye.

Not all drivers are that bad, but there are a few of you out there.

I can almost put up with drivers not knowing how to use a roundabout or know that red means stop, but at the no right turn down to GI, that anoys me alot :mad::confused:. A select few seem to think its ok to hold up the whole road while they wait for a gap in the traffic to right at a junction with a fairly well noticable 'NO RIGHT TURN' sign.

Ok, i will stop giving out now, cause i'm in Dublin now where traffic just stops all day. So really, compared to here, athlone traffic is not so bad. :D
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

haha, that's so bloody true, almost had a woman run into me today as she ran a red light by the Genoa, stopped the bike, looked at her and pointed at the lights, lol, she didn't look too pleased, as if I was in the wrong :P

On top of that, Sunday when I was driving out towards the Dublin road on the bypass. On the new bypass road, which diverts you onto two roundabouts via a single lane, some flipping idiot tried to overtake me, at 100kph, on a single narrow lane road ... how are people able to keep licenses with stunts like that. it boggles the mind.

There are an awful lot of bad drivers out there, a large portion of them seem to be in Athlone :P. And fully licensed at that, just goes to show that the driving test system is flawed. People maybe able to read a sign out of a book, but they don't seem to be able to tell what they are while in motion. Nothing better than seeing someone being pulled by a gardai when they take that turn down right to golden island. Got my house mate a few points lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Saw the cresent last night for the first time in a few weeks, boy is that gonna be fun tomorrow morning!! Was it just me, or is there no roundabout there, it looked just like a big junction?? I walked through it all and couldn't see any roundabout. Don't know how the bus would get into the station from the Ballymahon Road without one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

OK so I am answering myself here, but there is no roundabout and there isn't going to be one. Apparently the buses are going to continue coming in the way they are at the minute, via the hospital, and then out the Ballymahon Road. Southern Station Road is going to become part of the one-way system, which I didn't know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

You know whats funny, i live in coosan and it will be quicker for me to go to roscomon town to do shopping! I think theres a problem with the road/parking system when this is the case!

whyulittle wrote: »
    Southern Station Road is going to become part of the one-way system, which I didn't know.....

ONE WAY SYSTEM!! LMAO LoL

I'm not sure if thats a good idea at all, wait until some of the stuburn older folk of athlone want to go the way they are used to... It wont be much of a one way system then LoL You know the ones, they can hardly see over the wheel, and for some reason they are not able to look left or right, just straight ahead.

BoB_BoT, A friend of mines dad is a tester, and he told me a few years ago that the only difficult tests are the Dublin ones, the test centres outside Dublin, Cork and Galway are suppose to be reasonable easy to pass, but I was looking at the pass ratio in Athlone on the web last week and I think it said 60 percent or something, That to me, says it all!! :rolleyes:

Oh by the way HaPpY HoLoWeEn Everybody!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

eoinhealy wrote: »
    If they clamped my car I would simply cut the clamp off! They have no legal right to tamper with my car. The only way they can put a clamp on your car is if the ticket machines were working. Because without them, there is no print-out to show what time you arrived at the car park, just the say-so of a guy walking around with a clipboard.

They would have a legal right to clamp you, if they brought to your notice, the terms, on which parking is permitted on their land before entry into the car park.
    Cutting off their clamp could result in your being charged with criminal damage.
    If the guy with the clipboad makes a mistake you can sue in negligence. It is likely that there is video footage of cars entering the car park which could establish the time of entry to the car park.

Advertisement