Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst matches ever

• 11-10-2007 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭

OK, following on from the other thread what are the worst matches you can remember.
    The worst ever has to be the 1990 World Cup Final between Germany and Argentina, a massive anti-climax to a thorughly brutal World Cup, so bad they changed the rules after, introducing the back pass rule.
    Other honourable mentions last years Cup Final for banality, Germany 2-1 Austria WC1982 where they kicked the ball around having settled on the result. I'm sure there's many more I've tried to forget about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Republic of Ireland v Egypt, World Cup 90

A truly horrible game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Republic of Ireland v Egypt, World Cup 90

A truly horrible game.

lol i saw the title on the main page and clicked on it to post the exact same match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Any Ireland match since Staunton took over.

Liverpool matches under Houllier (they're a bit better now, but not much).

Ireland - Egypt

Too many 0-0's where neither team is interested to mention.

Edit:
    Also, when as a kid, and having no Sky access, having to watch results come through via Teletext, they were pretty awful :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Two of the Swiss games at WC06.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Champions League final 03 Milan v Juve

England v whoever they played last 16 of the WC 2006, Beckham scored a freekick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Chelsea v Liverpool / Chelsea v Man Utd / Man Utd v Liverpool

Basically any combination of those fixtures over the past few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Last year's FA Cup final. Yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Proberly that game between Switzerland and Ukraine at World Cup last year. Jebus I nearly turned over.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Unearthly wrote: »
    Champions League final 03 Milan v Juve

England v whoever they played last 16 of the WC 2006, Beckham scored a freekick

That was a great match. Great tactical battle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

tdv wrote: »

I wholeheartedly agree....and it's not just because I was at the game.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

patmac wrote: »
    Other honourable mentions last years Cup Final for banality, Germany 2-1 Austria WC1982 where they kicked the ball around having settled on the result. I'm sure there's many more I've tried to forget about.

I can't find the clip on youtube but at the end of that Germany game German fans started booing Beckenbauer for all his time-wasting. Whatever about Jamie Carragher throwing coins into the stand or Diouf spitting, Beckenbauer pretended to piss into the crowd. Absolutely priceless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

QPR vs Norwich

Norwich vs Burnley.

Both dire games and both resulted in managers sacked :D

tdv wrote: »
    It was the sort of game Dunphy and Giles share dreams about. Although both sides were clearly too afraid of losing to go on and win it, so it would be interesting to hear what Johnny Giles had to say about their "moral courage".

Nah, Milan's imploded defense of their crown away to Deportivo the following season was much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Ireland B 0-0 Scotland B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

First ever City game I went to see was bad. 1994/5 season at home to Leeds. 0-0. 1 shot on target the whole game from a centre half and we played with no strikers on the pitch. Rivetting stuff.

Italy v France in the quarter final of France '98 seems to ring a bell as a bit crap too. Happy to see penos in that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

astrofool wrote: »

In fairness the Slovak match in Croker was pretty good, sure the scoreline didnt reflect it but it was edge of seat and well fought by both teams. Ditto Czechs in Dublin.

I concur however re Cyprus, San Marino, the poor game against a woeful Welsh side etc etc etc.

Portugal v Holland in 2006, it was entertaining for the fights but christ it was ugly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Any game i have seen in Belfield.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Any game i have seen in Belfield.

kdjac

Agreed
    also both times ive seen pats get beat 5-0 in europe were horrible to watch
    as a fan.

Agreed
    also both times ive seen pats get beat 5-0 in europe were horrible to watch
    as a fan.

Its only been 3 times, like we been to belfied way more than that.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

One for the connoseurs, Euopean Cup Final 1991, Red Star Belgrade V Marseille. Red Star played for penos from the start and got their wish. Truly awul affair. So bad it really sticks in the memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

mike65 wrote: »
    Proberly that game between Switzerland and Ukraine at World Cup last year. Jebus I nearly turned over.
    Mike.

Paid €200 in Germany to go into watch ths game. It truly was awful :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

As a pompey fan, I can real off loads of very very poor games, particularly when we were struggling at the foot of the first division.

One particular game, away at Reading (their last season at Elm Park, which is their old ground for l you "Knew" Reading fans;)) the game was so poor the fans stopped singing and were just chatting amongst themselves. At one point, they were even laughing at the players.

Pompey won 1 nil and even the goal was crap. It came out of nothing and at first it seemed no one noticed and it got more of an ironic clap than a loud cheer. That goal however sparked our survival run and started Reading's demise, ultimately sending them down to the 2nd.

when I look back at the players we had then and the ones we have now...talk about different class:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Its only been 3 times, like we been to belfied way more than that.

kdjac

I wasnt at the away game the first time it happened
    I refuse to go to belfeild any more I find it hard to go to ucd games even when we are at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I used to enjoy watching the scores come through on the teleprinter (on ITV or BBC?). Used to be exciting watching as late scores came through which hadn't been announced. Ahh the innocent joys before our on-demand world became a reality:o
    astrofool wrote: »

Edit:
    Also, when as a kid, and having no Sky access, having to watch results come through via Teletext, they were pretty awful :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Went with mates to Plough Lane to watch Wimbledon v QPR cicra 1988/8, God it was awful despite the rather large amounts of beer I was told to have before the game to negate the effects of 90 minutes of dyer football played on a mudpatch watched from a toilet, no shots on goal, I have vague memories of a 7ft tall guy called Hercules elbowing everything in sight. I still shudder in a Homer Simpson type way when I think about it. Cloughie said 'if God had wanted us to play football in the sky he would have built a pitch up there.'
    Gary Lineker started his punditry career and got some much hyped threats from what must have been one of the scariest teams ever led by Vinny Jones, when he said 'I'd rather watch Wimbledon on Ceefax' he wasn't wrong.

Also the 1988 FA Cup Final must have been one of the worst ever despite the result. (Wimbledon beat Liverpool 1-0 btw for the young 'uns here)

I'm going to stop slagging of the premiership after remembering that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

this seasons FA Cup final was absolutely shocking for the supposed standard of players on the pitch, it may have been better for the people in the stadium so it's hard to comment really

off what i've seen/witnessed first hand:
    pretty much most Ireland friendly internationals at Lansdowne Road have been crap and a complete anti-climax, i remember the match against China few years ago in particular for being absolutely dreadful

if was to pick one match that stands out i'd pick Shelbourne vs Kildare County on September 23rd 2007. it's rare that i hate watching football but i felt like slitting my wrists during that shocking excuse for a football match :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

if was to pick one match that stands out i'd pick Shelbourne vs Kildare County on September 23rd 2007. it's rare that i hate watching football but i felt like slitting my wrists during that shocking excuse for a football match :eek:
    :eek:

At least there were goals in that game.

Were you not at the Killenny game last week?

I even commented in the thread about last weekends Irish football that it was the worst game I ever saw.

I'm not going to Athlone this evening.

I'd fear for my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Des, there was actually passing of the football during the Kilkenny match at bits of action unlike the Kildare match where it was like 22 Dave Crawleys having a hoofing contest while hungover from previous Saturday night! :eek:

i'd say the Athlone match could be even worse, they're as shocking as Kilkenny, Kildare..... and Shels! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

22 Dave Crawleys
    :shudder:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Des, there was actually passing of the football during the Kilkenny match at bits of action unlike the Kildare match where it was like 22 Dave Crawleys having a hoofing contest while hungover from previous Saturday night! :eek:

I didn't go to Shels match that often but I'll always remember Dave Crawley trying to cross the ball from any position in the opposition half! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

almost any match involving Chelsea over the past 3 years or so (granted there has been the odd exception).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

almost any match involving Chelsea over the past 3 years or so (granted there has been the odd exception).

bit harsh, but i like it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

Ireland Vs Iceland 0-0 Nov 10th 1996

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Germany - Austria WC 1982

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Went with mates to Plough Lane to watch Wimbledon v QPR cicra 1988/8, God it was awful despite the rather large amounts of beer I was told to have before the game to negate the effects of 90 minutes of dyer football played on a mudpatch watched from a toilet, no shots on goal, I have vague memories of a 7ft tall guy called Hercules elbowing everything in sight. I still shudder in a Homer Simpson type way when I think about it. Cloughie said 'if God had wanted us to play football in the sky he would have built a pitch up there.'
    Gary Lineker started his punditry career and got some much hyped threats from what must have been one of the scariest teams ever led by Vinny Jones, when he said 'I'd rather watch Wimbledon on Ceefax' he wasn't wrong.

Also the 1988 FA Cup Final must have been one of the worst ever despite the result. (Wimbledon beat Liverpool 1-0 btw for the young 'uns here)

I'm going to stop slagging of the premiership after remembering that!

I wasn't at this game, but take a look at this own goal

damn it, youtube have taken to clip down.

anyway, it was a lovely day at Plough lane as we lost 5-1 with an own goal scored from a back pass from the kick off after conceding a goal. it would be comical if it wasn;t us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Germany 2-1 Austria WC1982 where they kicked the ball around having settled on the result.

It was actually only 1-0 in that match, and the goal was scored after about 10 minutes, which resulted in the most turgid 80 minutes of football ever seen.

Another dishonorable mention is the 1986 European Cup final between Steaua Bucharest and Barcelona where Steaua played for penalties from the kick off.

zaph wrote: »
    It was actually only 1-0 in that match, and the goal was scored after about 10 minutes, which resulted in the most turgid 80 minutes of football ever seen.

Another dishonorable mention is the 1986 European Cup final between Steaua Bucharest and Barcelona where Steaua played for penalties from the kick off.

ireland holland 90 gets a mention for that type of crap.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Sligo Rovers 0-0 Bray Wanderers , some time in 1997

RustySpoon wrote: »
    Ireland Vs Iceland 0-0 Nov 10th 1996
    Ugh, I recoil at the memory.

Advertisement