Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent increase during lease?

Options
  • 11-10-2007 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

the landlord want to increase rent by €100. However, our lease is for 12 months, and doesn't expire for another 8 months (signed last June). I've read the lease and there doesn't seem to be any part saying that an increase is allowed. Is the landlord entitled to this increase?

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Does it state on the lease what amount of rent is to be charged for the duration of it?
    If not he can increase the rent but he has to give 3 months notice I seem to recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eoinoc333

Yes.

There is a "schedule" page, stating the start date, that it's for 12 months duration, and it states the monthly rent agreed.

Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Ring Threshold to make sure, but as far as I know the landlord is chancing his arm.

You signed a lease for a year, the rent is included in that agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

eoinoc333 wrote:
    Yes.

There is a "schedule" page, stating the start date, that it's for 12 months duration, and it states the monthly rent agreed.

Eoin

Tell him to piss off.

Seriously. F*cking cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eoinoc333

Thanks all.

Phoned Threshold and they agreed with what's being written here.

I'll write a letter back to say that, Duckjob.

I think what's worse is that we're dealing through Sherry Fitz, and not with the landlord directly. The letter is sent from their offices on behalf of the landlord. They must know they're not within their rights.

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rent can only be increased once per year, in line with the market. The year isn't up.

Write them a nasty letter, questioning their ethics and professional competence. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nobbers

I was looking at a house to rent off of sherry fitz 2 weeks ago and the advertised rent was €1000 p/m. We got the house and then sherry fitz imformed us that the rent was going to be going up by €100 p/m from december. My partner told them that we had agreed to €1000 p/m so we lost the house. In my opinion I think that they were just chancers and I won't be dealing with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

AFAIK rent can only be increased once a year, unless there are major improvements made to the accomodation. As already said landlord is chancing his arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mr Mojo

I Agree, don't put up with that $hite

My landlord is currently trying to pull a fast one, not for the first time, may I add! After applying his 'annual' rent increase back in may this year, he's now trying to screw me with another rent increase, starting this month.

That's illegal in my book......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ethanb

once you and the landlord have signed the lease regarding rent amount it cannot be changed for the duration of that lease.
    do you know if property is registered with PRTB if so you can make a formal complaint to them re your landlord and they will investigate. normally stops landlords in their tracks, also if you rented property via an agency and they are IAVI or IPAV members you can also complain to them who will also in turn investigate(not very well unfortunatly so dont hold breath regarding these)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

We rent a 2 bed Appt.

We signed the lease and its now almost 2 years :D and the Landlord has not even increased the rent by one cent.

Dont pay even One cent extra tell them its highly unprofessional and you will not be recommending them to anyone.

We also got the place through agency.
    They were very professional and helpful.

The company is Lowe & Associates

Advertisement