Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ban Racing

Options
  • 11-10-2007 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Not only would you save the millions of litres of fuel a year used by the various forms of racing vechiles and support structure, you would also reduce fuel usage and emmisions from Joe Public who won't have to travel to see the event anymore.

Personally i would ban silly ones like tractor pulling and anything on 2 wheels and those stupid letss drive round in circles nascars but leave the majority.

Would you ban motor Sport to eliminate fuel wastage and pollution? 63 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    15% 10 votes
    WTF???
    84% 53 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

How about banning importing "important" things like flowers from South America or strawberries from Capetown via airfreight ?

That at least would make some sense and a sizeable dent in pollution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Kadeshh

peasant wrote: »
    flowers from South America or strawberries from Capetown via airfreight ?

That a bit crazy alright, but thats another poll for another day, anyway i'm just trying to while a way a few minutes in work reading all the vicious responses calling for my head for even mentioning this:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Didn't racing bring about important developments improving turbo engines.
    Sure ABS brakes were first used in F1.
    You're posting nonsense OP

Let me be the first to call for your head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Personally i would ban silly ones like tractor pulling and anything on 2 wheels and those stupid letss drive round in circles nascars but leave the majority.

It is people like you that turn this country into a pussy nanny state.

"Ban this, ban that..." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

save fuel for what - so you can sniff some more of it?!?!?!?!

abs was first used on aeroplanes, micmclo;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

this has to be a troll right?

Bit of a contradiction here wouldn't you think...
    Kadeshh wrote:
    Not only would you save the millions of litres of fuel a year used by the various forms of racing vechiles and support structure, you would also reduce fuel usage and emmision
    Personally i would ban silly ones like tractor pulling and anything on 2 wheels

If you want to save fuel, have tighter controls on corporate aviation, thats where the biggest wastage is by far. I see more fuel burned in a day from the corporate traffic at work (Working part time at an FBO right now) than I used in probably 3 years of racing.

Also, you might want to actually research the amount of fuel and emmisions caused as a result of motorsport (directly or otherwise) rather than "guessing" the impact that it has.
    stupid letss drive round in circles nascars but leave the majority

LOL, so circuit racing is less "stupid" because it turns right more often? Your ignorance, on many levels astounds me.

What you are really saying is ban motorsports you don't like, irrespective of their economical (ie money) importance under the ill-informed guise that it is saving/helping the environment.

In that case, I vote for a ban on drifting "coz it like uses loads of fuel, yea" :D

/edit
    Kadeshh wrote:
    That a bit crazy alright, but thats another poll for another day, anyway i'm just trying to while a way a few minutes in work reading all the vicious responses calling for my head for even mentioning this

Ba$tard! :) Note to self..........dont feed the trolls, Don't feed the trolls.

Meh ill leave my scathing reply up anyway, for anyone who decides to agree with you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

Are you connected to the taliban by any chance, with ideas like that you could be a representive for them :p

LOL, so circuit racing is less "stupid" because it turns right more often? Your ignorance, on many levels astounds me.

No, because it actually takes talent to drive around a track that differs as you go around it, rather than just turn the wheel slightly left all the time:rolleyes:

BTW, I wasn't the one who voted 'Yes':)

Kadeshh wrote: »
    No, because it actually takes talent to drive around a track that differs as you go around it, rather than just turn the wheel slightly left all the time:rolleyes:

So, by your (grossly simplified) logic its much harder to turn slightly right and alternate a little? I'm guessing you've never raced, and have no idea how banking affects a car. If you think every lap on an oval is the same, you are a long way off the mark i'm afraid. Its no more or less the same as any other form of track racing.

Ive worked extensively with circuit racing in Ireland/Europe and with NASCAR teams on ovals so I'd regard myself as being on a somewhat solid platform to comment, unlike some :)

Ovals are nowhere near as easy as they look. Sure, its easy to get around the track, but that applies to any form of motorsport.

Both ovals and circuit racing require talent, but the way it is applied is different, thats all. Rallying is probably the most all-encompassing IMO, you need to take much more risks (or calculated guesses) than you would with any form of circuit racing, including ovals.

Heres an example, take a Daytona test I was working at a while ago. Two drivers, same car, same setup, same conditions and same line. One driver was 1.5s slower than the other, meaning that he wouldn't even get near to qualifying. Daytona, when out of a tow is flat out all the way. So where do you pickup time? Thats where the talent comes in. Its about momentum, well all racing is, but F1 for example is more point and squirt. Not better or worse, just different and demands a higher level of fitness.

Heres an experiment you can try. This one quickly schooled me on how underestimated ovals are by some of us "euro's":

Grab a copy of the racing sim NASCAR 2003, buy a steering wheel, join a competitive league and see how you fair. Of course, get a copy of LFS (join the irish LFS league) for the circuit racing so you can compare notes. At Daytona, for example you wil need to find time on a track that you are already flat out all the way on and using the same setups as others. This is before you have to deal with drafting and race tactics.

I guarantee you will have a new-found respect for oval racing, because you will get your a$$ whipped! At least at first. If you don't, then drop me a PM, I know a couple of teams that would like to talk with you :)

I voted yes for the hell of it. It wouldnt do any harm if there were more initiatives to reduce emmisions beit from alternative energy souces or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Personally i would ban silly ones like tractor pulling and anything on 2 wheels

Whats wrong with 2 wheels? Bikes weight much less, have a smaller displacement and so are more fuel efficient that nearly everything with 4 wheels.

From your train of thought, why dont we ban all sports, sure they aren't essential and we're only wasting fuel travelling to games etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Ban football, the carbon emissions saved in hairspray alone will make it worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Ban Traffic Jams! they burn more fuel than Formula 1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Ban everything including breathing as we're at it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Not only would you save the millions of litres of fuel a year used by the various forms of racing vechiles and support structure, you would also reduce fuel usage and emmisions from Joe Public who won't have to travel to see the event anymore.

How about we ban oxygen for cocks that suggest fcuking stupid things to ban?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Ban shopping centres too... unnecessarily heating wide open spaces of nothing... and they cause traffic getting to them...
    Actually, just ban towns and cities.
    By the way, I hope you posted this on a pedal powered computer.
    Tractor pulling is a great sport, so is ploughing... ask Tommi Makinen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Heres an experiment you can try. This one quickly schooled me on how underestimated ovals are by some of us "euro's":

Grab a copy of the racing sim NASCAR 2003, buy a steering wheel, join a competitive league and see how you fair. Of course, get a copy of LFS (join the irish LFS league) for the circuit racing so you can compare notes. At Daytona, for example you wil need to find time on a track that you are already flat out all the way on and using the same setups as others. This is before you have to deal with drafting and race tactics.

I guarantee you will have a new-found respect for oval racing, because you will get your a$$ whipped! At least at first. If you don't, then drop me a PM, I know a couple of teams that would like to talk with you :)

Or better yet, take a trip to the Mall of America in Minnesota and have a go on the NASCAR simulator there... now that's an experience. It took me about 3 minutes to figure out how the damn thing started :eek:

Mustangs wrote: »
    Or better yet, take a trip to the Mall of America in Minnesota and have a go on the NASCAR simulator there... now that's an experience. It took me about 3 minutes to figure out how the damn thing started :eek:

Actually, I live about 7 miles from there right now. The software on them is VERY old, NR2003 is much more accurate as far as physics are concerned. Although the big screen and full size cockpit are good for a laugh, especially if you can get a few mates to join you.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Shinanegans. A poll to Ban motor racing in the motors forum!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

What a stupid thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Biro wrote: »
    Ban shopping centres too... unnecessarily heating wide open spaces of nothing...
    Actually, I'd probably vote YES to that one :) Horrible nasty places they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I didnt read through all this crap because to me banning motorsport would be akin to banning catholicism or something.

I would like to point out though that the Honda team (and possibly others) claim to be carbon neutral - whatever that means exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

I can't believe I'm reading this sh!t......................

why not just ban cows? cows farting all over the world cause more eco damage than all the cars combined :p

elite-rear.JPG

fted008.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

siralfalot wrote: »
    cows farting all over the world cause more eco damage than all the cars combined :p
    [/IMG]

Actually this oft-quoted "fact" is incorrect. Bovine-methane expulsion (about 400 litres per cow per day) occurs mainly through belching, not farting. So what we need to do is eat more steaks to erradicate this threat. Then we can all drive V-8s with impunity.
    Of course soon there'll be no more cows so we can start eating the vegetarians, and their f*cking hybrid vehicles. I could eat a Prius, bet I could, who's with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I am fed up being told this little nation of ours has to cut down on fuel consumption etc...

Listen, if this nation saves some fuel it will only mean the massive gas guzzling nations like China,USA, India et al. will happily take the tiny surplus from us and use it to their hearts content..if there is a sensible and equitable global initiative to conserve fossil fuels then I am all in, but their aint, so use it while you still can because the giants of this world are going to use it to their advantage anyway.

cynical? Perhaps but true nonetheless.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

New option added to the poll!

Bah, I can't change my vote....

MrP

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I added yours and a few others I think would have voted that way to the new option!

• Advertisement

Cheers! Top modding.

MrP

Advertisement