Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facelift to go with the new upgrade?

Options
  • 11-10-2007 6:17pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Like most I'm delighted with the new upgrade, faster browsing, searching and vBulletin upgrade etc - well done lads.

However, is there any plans for a facelift of the front page and accompanying graphics? I've always though that the boards.ie logo could do with a revamp, and generally make the site look a little more contemporary and professional. No doubt we have loads of fantastically talented graphics designers that would be happy to lend a hand.

I think the homepage could do with some work - there are plenty of things that could be done to improve usability.

Any chance?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't really think it's necessary to be perfectly honest. Does anyone really spend that much time on the home page?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Well when I want to go to boards.ie I use http://boards.ie/index.php?filter=subbed to see the recent threads on the forums I subscrube to. It's annoying how it only shows you the last 25 - it would be nice if like on some other forums you can see e.g. the "Last 100 Posts", or a direct link to "Your Posts" etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Zascar wrote: »
    Well when I want to go to boards.ie I use http://boards.ie/index.php?filter=subbed to see the recent threads on the forums I subscrube to. It's annoying how it only shows you the last 25 - it would be nice if like on some other forums you can see e.g. the "Last 100 Posts", or a direct link to "Your Posts" etc.

Try this. It isn't pretty but it does the job. I'm pretty sure you can set it higher. I set it to 100 once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Hopefully you'll be glad to hear that we are currently actively pursuing a site redesign. I am not sure when it will be in place, but the process began a few weeks ago.

Is it just the homepage or is it the whole site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Let me put this way, lots of things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

Cloud wrote: »

whoa thats a lot

Cool. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Sounds great! I take it social.ie will be a part of this? I can see the forums being the background feature to social.ie. Welcome to web 2.0 :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cool! So do we get a sneak preview?

How long till the launch? Please say its not going to be months...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

oooooh me likes lots of things, lots of things rawk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Random user suggest site update and facelift
    I don't really think it's necessary to be perfectly honest. Does anyone really spend that much time on the home page?

One of the overlords says boards is getting a site update and facelift
    Cool. :)

AlmightyCushion is the new sparky_s. Shocking stuff by the class lick.

If theres one thing Pighead hates, its a yes man. Say No to Yes Men.

Pighead wrote: »
    Random user suggest site update and facelift

One of the overlords says boards is getting a site update and facelift

AlmightyCushion is the new sparky_s. Shocking stuff by the class lick.

If theres one thing Pighead hates, its a yes man. Say No to Yes Men.

There is a difference between sprucing up the front page and a complete site redesign with 'lots of things'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Its a bit of both in the works - if we take our finger out and complete the process :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

But won't Pighead kick up a stink if you take your finger out, Regi? ... he seems to like having it up there.

Mind you, I guess if "completing the process" means what I think it does, he'll probably be squealing with pleasure quickly enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Try this. It isn't pretty but it does the job. I'm pretty sure you can set it higher. I set it to 100 once.
    If you mess around with the url a bit you can get it up to 500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Zascar wrote: »
    Like most I'm delighted with the new upgrade, faster browsing, searching and vBulletin upgrade etc - well done lads.

However, is there any plans for a facelift of the front page and accompanying graphics? I've always though that the boards.ie logo could do with a revamp, and generally make the site look a little more contemporary and professional. No doubt we have loads of fantastically talented graphics designers that would be happy to lend a hand.

I think the homepage could do with some work - there are plenty of things that could be done to improve usability.

Any chance?
    There was a redesigned home page a few years back one could use. Quite nice iirc.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Social.ie is planned as part of the facelift. Think of it as East and West Germany...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'll just be the first to mention Godwin then, and we can get it over with quickly.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Sounds great! I take it social.ie will be a part of this? I can see the forums being the background feature to social.ie. Welcome to web 2.0 :D
    DeVore wrote: »
    Social.ie is planned as part of the facelift. Think of it as East and West Germany...

DeV.

Yay, \o/
    Do I get a prize?

Goodbye Bebo, MySpace, Facebook et al., hello Socialboards.ie ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

How is all this expensive IT and (very original & tasteful, no doubt) re-design to be paid for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Outsourcing?

tak wrote: »
    How is all this expensive IT and (very original & tasteful, no doubt) re-design to be paid for ?

Subscriptions ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Personally, I love the new boards logo!
    vbulletin3_logo_white.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

We're selling kidneys

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

regi wrote: »
    We're selling kidneys

Yours still function?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

regi wrote: »
    We're selling kidneys

I'll take 1 at €400

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Spankeh wrote: »
    I'll take 1 at €400

Pickled kidneys aren't worth that much.
    €2.50 is all I'd be prepared to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

What is the big secret?

(Is it the case that Boards has got all this creative work done for vague suggestions of future favours . . . or burgers . . . )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Gordon wrote: »
    I'll just be the first to mention Godwin then, and we can get it over with quickly.
    Speaking of getting things over with...

178042151_e8d5a92cc9_m.jpg

Advertisement