Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adding a wireless access point to Permanet Arris Modem

• 11-10-2007 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a broadband service provided by Permanet with an Arris WM450 Modem.

I would like to have wireless broadband access throughout my house but when I enquired, Permanet told me I would need to get my own Wireless Access Point as they do not provide a W-LAN modem.

I purchased a Belkin Wireless G Router (Model: F5D7230-4) and set it to Wireless Access Point mode.

I connected this to the Arris Modem using a crossover cable and also connected the PC.

However, whilst I can connect my laptop wireless to the network, I cannot get ant internet connection using wireless.

Permanet told me that their modem acted like a bridge and as it had DHCP, to just connect my Access Point and it should automatically provide wireless access.

I have tried to put the Belkin router on the same subnet but this doesn't make any difference.

Is there something I am missing here. Basically, my question is:

"How can I connect my Belkin WLAN router to my Arris Modem to provide wireless Internet access around my house?"

I would be most grateful for any help.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wirelessconnect

I connected this to the Arris Modem using a crossover cable and also connected the PC.
    Try using a straight through cable (patch lead) rather than a cross over cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ballinasloe

I tried that originally but it didn't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wirelessconnect

You mentioned that you connected you PC. Did you connect your pc to the Arris Modem or the belkin?

Try connecting the pc to the belkin on one of the 4 lan post at the back. Make sure that the patch lead from the Arris Modem is connected to the WAN post of the Belkin.

See if you get internet on the PC in this situation. Check what IP address you are receiving on the PC.

Connect the laptop to the wireless on the Belkin. Check what IP address it gets when it connects. Generally they should be in the same subnet.

Try pinging your gateway, ie the ip address of the Arris Modem, from both the laptop and the pc.

Let me know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ballinasloe

(now I feel a bit stupid)

I was connecting the Arris modem to a lan port on the Belkin router, not to it's WAN port. Thought this was just for DSL only.

I've tried it here at work and it seems to be working on our office router. I'll try it at home with the Arris.

Thanks,

really appreciate the advice!

Advertisement