Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

binoculars

Options
  • 11-10-2007 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Not to sure where to post this so feel free to move it.
    Just wanted to know would the following binoculars be ok for a beginner to Nature & Bird Watching ?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=326141

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

They look fine to me.

Don't know anything about the brand, and I haven't heard of binoculars going from 10x to 30x. Normally they are quoted as just 10 x 50 - 10 magnification and 50mm objective lens. That's the only size I have ever used and am very happy with them.

The more the magnification, the more the light you need to let in and so the larger the objective lens required. Hence I wouldn't rely on those bins to give a great picture at the 30x zoom (if it exists). Also, you would have to be leaning against something solid as hand shake becomes a real issue at those magnifications.

FYI 8 x 30 or 8 x 40 are probably a little more common. They would be smaller, lighter to carry and possibly easier to 'hone-in' on something but the mag will be lower. You can also get mini little bins, but they let in much less light and so I would recommend avoiding those guys (the mini ones).

Good luck with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

retrospect wrote: »
    Not to sure where to post this so feel free to move it.
    Just wanted to know would the following binoculars be ok for a beginner to Nature & Bird Watching ?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=326141

Any zoom binoculars I tried were AWFUL. I would go for straight 10x50 which are good because they let in lots of light and are powerful but bad because they are heavy and can magnify hand shake OR 8x40 which are less powerful but more manageable.

Des

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I tend to avoid zoom binos for the reasons the other posters outlined above. I use a pair of Swarovski 8x30 glasses. Expensive but worth it...

Check out Opticron "Countryman" series... they are a tad dear but are good. 8x40 or 8x42 are available in this range in porro prism. There is also an 8x32 in roof prism; lighter and more compact.

PM me if you need more specs. Good luck!!

Advertisement