Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless help - Got everything except internet

• 11-10-2007 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭

Here's one for you experts out there....

I have my laptop connected to the internet using a wireless router. No problems accessing internet until today. I can still send and receive email, I can access my website server in Dreamweaver and can access the Itunes music store. I can't get any webpages though - I keep getting the "Internet explorer cannot display the webpage" message.

I've tried all the obvious things like restarting the router, restarting both the laptop and our desktop pc which runs through the same router. Windows updates were done on both machines last night when shutting down - the pc is accessing all sites with no problems.

I'm not sure if it's a wireless issue but I'm still able to access shared files and folders - just no internet.

Has anyone any idea what's causing this?

Thanks

Joe

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

JoeTurner wrote: »
    Here's one for you experts out there....

I have my laptop connected to the internet using a wireless router. No problems accessing internet until today. I can still send and receive email, I can access my website server in Dreamweaver and can access the Itunes music store. I can't get any webpages though - I keep getting the "Internet explorer cannot display the webpage" message.

I've tried all the obvious things like restarting the router, restarting both the laptop and our desktop pc which runs through the same router. Windows updates were done on both machines last night when shutting down - the pc is accessing all sites with no problems.

I'm not sure if it's a wireless issue but I'm still able to access shared files and folders - just no internet.

Has anyone any idea what's causing this?

Thanks

Joe

Run ipconfig /all in a command prompt and see what DNS server is set, if any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

192.168.2.1 is the DNS server....

Thanks

Joe

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

192.168.2.1 is the DNS server....

Thanks

Joe

That should then also be the address of your router. Try pinging something like www.google.ie and see if it resolves that to an address correctly.

Pinged www.google.ie - all appears fine....

Have been using it for a year with no problems until today. Only changes I could think of were running windows update last night on closing laptop :confused:

A few other possibilities then

try ipconfig /flushdns to clear the cached website names

Try Firefox rather than IE

Check , in IE, tools -> internet options -> connection -> lan settings, and see if something's been entered as a proxy.

Use tracert to a known inaccessible website and see what happens.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the suggestions Spear.

Tried all that and still no joy - not sure what I'm meant to be looking for with tracert though.....

Firefox going straight to error message too.

I'm using a Belkin Wireless Router if that's relevant....

Thanks for all the suggestions Spear.

Tried all that and still no joy - not sure what I'm meant to be looking for with tracert though.....

Firefox going straight to error message too.

I'm using a Belkin Wireless Router if that's relevant....

Is the modem integrated into the router or separate?

Hi Spear,

Problem solved at last - in a desperate attempt to try and get it sorted I uninstalled Norton. It had been giving me a few error messages before I lost my internet. After removing the software the internet access is back.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions - appreciate it

Joe

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you've uninstalled Norton you may be interested in avg (antivirus software) available for free from free.grisoft.com

MarkR wrote: »
    If you've uninstalled Norton you may be interested in avg (antivirus software) available for free from free.grisoft.com

Cheers Mark - will give it a go

Joe

• Advertisement
Advertisement