Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual boot with slave HDD?

• 11-10-2007 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    This could be a totally dumb question,(but I'll soon be told!!).
    Is there anything wrong with adding a slave HDD to a PC and sticking a second OS on it,to create a dual boot system.
    (Win ME on Master,Win 2000 on slave)

Cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I think Windows can act up if it's not the primary disk [for IDE anyway].

If your PC is fairly beefy and you only plan to run ME for legacy apps, I'd suggest you install Microsoft's free Virtual PC 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Cheers for that ethernet.
    Was kinda thinkin the same thing myself

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

windows loves stamping slave drives with Drive letters that are a pig to change if you ever want to use the drive as a master

very simple to boot up - you just need the right syntax in the boot.ini, but it would have to be on the primary hard drive,

remember you'll need licenses for both copies :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kurisu

hey could this free virtual pc bu used to run xp aps on vista?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Iomega Man wrote: »
    (Win ME on Master,Win 2000 on slave)
    Don't use ME, or you'll live to regret it!

• Advertisement

kurisu wrote: »
    hey could this free virtual pc bu used to run xp aps on vista?
    Well, yes. You'll need to install XP within Virtual PC on Vista. Make sure you won't be violating any licence agreements in doing so. Then it's a case of installing the program in the virtual environment.

If you're having trouble, I'm sure you've tried running a non-Vista compatible program in compatibility mode?

As far as I know,virtual PC isn't comp with ME?(could be wrong).

Iomega Man wrote: »
    As far as I know,virtual PC isn't comp with ME?(could be wrong).
    So it would seem. The OS options for creating a new virtual machine are Windows 98, NT Workstation, 2000, XP, OS/2, Vista, NT Server, 2000 Server, Server 2003 and other. Other could well work.

If Virtual PC doesn't work with ME, then I'd try using VMWare Server (also free).

The latest version of Virtual PC does work with all of the 9x releases but the Virtual Machine Additions don't install on anything other than 98 SE so using unsupported systems is a pain.

But if you can manage to find a copy of the Virtual Machine Additions from Virtual PC 2004 then 95 and ME work with no issues.

What I'll also add to this is that Virtual PC is only legally usable on XP Pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

With respect to your question - No Problem.

1. If ME is already installed and you are then installing 2000, there should be no problem. You would end up with a 2000 boot menu allowing you to select either os.

2. If 2000 is installed 1st you would get a problem as ME would overwrite 2000 boot record.

Can explain methods if you require...

osmethod

• Advertisement

In the end we just stuck in a bigger HDD and put XP Pro on it.

Thanks to all for the comments...learned a bit more on the way!

Cheers

Advertisement