Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England is better than Ireland isn't it.

• 11-10-2007 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Well it is isn't it. Pighead can't quite put his finger on it but they just do stuff so much better than us. Television, music, even their professional tarts are better than ours. You wouldn't see Keeley from The Sun standing on Grafton St freezing her tits off whilst advertising dog food or the likes, Pigheads looking at you Miss French.

They just exude an air of professionalism whilst us Irish give off more of a "ah fcuk it it'll do" kind of vibe. Pighead loves Ireland but its a bit like loving a chick who you know is quite plain looking but you'll keep her anyway because shes as good as you're gonna get.

One night Pighead had a dream that Ireland became a Communist dictatorship and all outside music, television and media were banned. Woke up sweating and crying and put on BBC1 to make sure everything was still ok. It was thank God. England, Pighead salutes you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

Yeah I love England too. I wish we were still part of the UK. I'm sure they'd let us in if we asked nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

ryanairzer wrote: »
    Yeah I love England too. I wish we were still part of the UK. I'm sure they'd let us in if we asked nicely.
    Doubt it buddy, they don't even want the North anymore. They're sick to the back teeth of every last one of them. Suppose theres no harm in asking though.

What do you admire them for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Pighead wrote: »
    Rum, sodomy and the lash? I suppose honesty is a virtue, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

pighead wrote:
    yore ma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have to agree with Pighead on this one. The typically Irish "ah sure it'll be grand" attitude is present in everything in this country and it pisses me off no end.

• Advertisement

Unpossible wrote: »
    yore ma?
    Whose ma? Pigheads pretty sure that makes absolutely no sense in this context and is thus worthy of a hefty fine or failing that a banning. Poor show Unpossible.

Oh and why did you decapitalise the p in Pighead when quoting Pighead? Your mind games don't work here pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ooooooo controversial. Ah sure what's not to like about Engerland bar the oul 600 years of oppression and stuff.

One thing that always gets me though is this, when any Irish team are playing the English will usually shout for them but when any English team are playing Irish people want them to lose. Curious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

best thing about england............its gotta be................

..........ESSEX GIRLS!!:D Wendy, Tracey & Sharon

"allo dahlin fancy a shag" don't you just luv em;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

I agree England is more organized than Ireland.

London best European city for business; Dublin gets 11th ranking and top for climate governments create

No 1 positions for ...

Easy access to markets London

Qualified staff London

External transport links London

Telecommunications London

*Cost of staff Bucharest

Climate governments create Dublin

Value for money of office space Warsaw

*Availability of office space Berlin

Languages spoken London

Internal transport London

Quality of life Barcelona

Freedom from pollution Stockholm

says it all really if you compare the capitals.

You can read it here

cson wrote: »
    Ooooooo controversial. Ah sure what's not to like about Engerland bar the oul 600 years of oppression and stuff.

One thing that always gets me though is this, when any Irish team are playing the English will usually shout for them but when any English team are playing Irish people want them to lose. Curious.
    Its because we're jealous cson. Imagine your next door neighbour was going out with an absolute stunning girl. He's a nice lad and says hello to you everyday so surely you should be happy he's banging a bona fide babe. But no, inside you're head your praying that hes rubbish in the sack and she'll dump him before he can say "Sorry babes, its never usually that quick"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Well yeah, they have a Rugby team that make the second round of a world cup, and an international soccer team with a proper manager, and that premier league thing, oh and no ads on their nation tv station, and they have a royal family

and they don't have to learn irish of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Cockyness. The English would claim they were favourites to win the world surfing championships and that the Hawaiian, Californian and Aussie teams didnt stand a chance. Same with every sport. Its not quiet optimism, its in your face bollix (its pretty much the exact same reasons why I hate Man U. While I can understand Irish Joe Public booing the English at the Euros or the world cup, I cant understand Irish Man U fans doing it seeing as even their chants sound In-ger-landish. I always remind my Man U mates of the fact during any English match :D )

The reason so many will back Ireland is either they have Irish roots or had a legendary Irish footballer in the club they support, or else their club is presently home to a promising or proven talent. Best, Roy Keane, McGrath, Given, Doyle and Hunt, Staunton (Im talking about playing ability here :D)

Having said that Ive zero against most English, just the ones who take off the shirt, get in a fountain and roar In-ger-land while proclaiming the Argies are a load of ****e.

I like England as a place thats cheap to get to and has good clubs and women who appreciate the Irish, but Im glad we are our own country. Cant bate bein Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

The great thing about England is that we can easily access their world beating arts & media without having to live there. Quite frankly its a kip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

England is better than Ireland isn't it.

No, Pighead, it is not. Do you hear me Pighead? Your wrong (and so is YORE MA!!).......................scum west brits like you sicken me...............you scum.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's only better in some ways because it's bigger,more populated and richer.
    I wouldn't swap their social problems for ours in a million years. At least our knackers aren't chavs.

boreds wrote: »
    I wouldn't swap their social problems for ours in a million years. At least our knackers aren't chavs.
    Course our knackers are chavs. Its just a different name for the same thing. Thats like saying at least our slappers aren't tarts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

most of my english mates think ireland is way better than england!

They think its great though that they "own half the world!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

me arse to england

most of my english mates think ireland is way better than england!
    Don't mind them ,they're only saying that to be nice. Pigheads friend lives on a farm. Said to him last week, "Oh my, how wonderful it must be to live out here, being at one with nature and surrounded by all these wondeful animals"

Truth was the place smelt of shit and the animals were gonna be carted off for slaughter the next day. Sometimes you have to throw a few white lies out there to make folks feel better about themselves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

838 and counting...

and these guys are still upset http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭nij

According to the Human Development Index, Ireland is one of the top countries in the world!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_development_index

Ireland, 4th in the world, UK, 18th. I dunno lads, maybe we're just nitpicking minor differences in attitude. I think we're just a little more chilled out! :D

nij wrote: »
    According to the Human Development Index, Ireland is one of the top countries in the world!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_development_index

Ireland, 4th in the world, UK, 18th. I dunno lads, maybe we're just nitpicking minor differences in attitude. I think we're just a little more chilled out! :D
    That tables a load of Pigheads balls. It has Norway top, a land famous for killing whales and A-Ha. Both of which are shit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Having lived in England for a year I have come to the conclusion that it's a sh!thole. London is nice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ryanairzer wrote: »

Nah. They'd know that they'd only get a kick up the ass for their troubles. That, or a kilo of semtex stuffed into their letterbox.

RasTa wrote: »
    Having lived in England for a year I have come to the conclusion that it's a sh!thole. London is nice though.
    Would you like to elaborate on that? Is it more of a shithole than Ireland? Do you miss Ireland? Do you yearn for hugs from the bosom of your family?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If we were part of England we'd have a free dodgy health-service instead of an expensive dodgy health-service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Darkman2 & Unpossible:
    Please read the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Albania is better than Ireland, let alone England..

I would say with great confidence that Ireland is the ****tiest country in Western Europe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I agree England is more organized than Ireland.

London best European city for business; Dublin gets 11th ranking and top for climate governments create

No 1 positions for ...

Qualified staff London (Irish people)

External transport links London (Built by the Irish)

Telecommunications London (Manned and installed by Irish people)

Languages spoken London (Is that a good thing?)

Internal transport London (Built by the Irish)

You can read it here
    Ireland wins every time. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Terry wrote: »
    Ireland wins every time. :D

Would they still be living in England, all these Irish people, for some reason or other?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

boreds wrote: »

They do pomp and ceremony exceptionally well but you cam keep everything else! The food is appalling. Comes with having to feed 60 odd million people I suppose. It's BOTTOM of my list of places to emigrate to. Tops are Canada and New Zealand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

MoominPapa wrote: »
    The great thing about England is that we can easily access their world beating arts & media without having to live there. Quite frankly its a kip

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

England is better than Ireland. Piggie's right.

But England is on a slide while Ireland is on the rise. Soon we'll pass them on their way down. Remember to wave, Pighead :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

For once Pighead I couldn't agree with you more...don't get me wrong, I love my country, I love my people (well most of them) and I love being Irish (whatever that even means anymore) but the UK definitely do things with more je ne sais quoi....
    Nothing seems amateurish (except their government), their entertainment output, their music scenes, loads of things are just more established and broad ranged....maybe it's to do with them having a larger population and it's probably got a lot to do with their multi-culturalism of late, but whatever it is, we don't seem to have it in any big amount here...and any we do get usually ends up over there as they can't get a break here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

compared to our education system, theirs is pretty much like toddler work :D

also nobody's ever happy with where they live. you know why? Something is always going to be 'not the way they want it', always, for atleast someone. if you lived in england you'd probably say the same.

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    But England is on a slide while Ireland is on the rise.

Ireland stopped rising 5 years ago and since then the country has been careering towards a brick wall..

Atrociously cheap and tacky unplanned housing for all!

Yeah its just everything. Their reality shows are shit but our ones are several leagues of shit stinkier than theirs. They have Dale Winton as theri token gay gameshow host presenter, we've got Shirley Temple Bar. Now Pigheads no Winton fan but he's a hell of a lot classier than that yoke on tellybingo. They've got Corrie, we've got Fair City. They've got The London Eye, we've got the spike. They've got Helen Mirren as they're leading lady who's wheeled forward as Britains leading female representative, we've got Twink.etc ad nauseum God Save The Queen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

compared to our education system, theirs is pretty much like toddler work :D

I've come out of the English education system a few years ago and into the Irish one, I can tell you first hand that the English way of doing things is a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Its a scumbag-infested xenophobic police state, bitter and hung-over after the end of their centuries of world domination. But at least they have nice things like decent roads, proper cities, good comedians and the BBC. And most english people I know are decent folk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Ireland vs England - that's really a moot point.
    Why compare a small "recently developed" nation with a well established global super power (England)?

However why not compare England and France, two nations of similar sizes and aspirations. France, of course, wins on every count you could care to mention, sports, the arts, standard of education, architecture, cuisine, wine etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Knockoff Nige

Its a well known fact that Ireland is jealous of England. We really want to live in Manchester and Liverpool. Not just for the women but for the football. The premier league could nearly be called Irish for the amount of support we give it (and rightly so). We love everything english but should anyone dare ask us about it, we HATE them. We really are a rubbish, sad and embarrasing nation. We're not even friends with other nations. We're just neutral. We're the country who stays in on a saturday night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Soon we'll pass them on their way down. Remember to wave, Pighead :D

but we've already passed them by, imo

the gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" over there is unreal, it really is a class divided society.

as i said the best thing about england is...the slappers...english girls have got to be the most randiest in europe if not the world
    ....they jump into bed with ya, no questions asked:D

Why compare a small "recently developed" nation with a well established global super power (England)?

However why not compare England and France, two nations of similar sizes and aspirations. France, of course, wins on every count you could care to mention, sports, the arts, standard of education, architecture, cuisine, wine etc etc.

Fair point, we should compare like with like...

How about Ireland vs. Uganda.

Corrupt leadership - tick
    Complete government incompetence - tick
    3rd world health system - tick
    Crap roads and infrastructure - tick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

^ Nice

philstar wrote: »
    but we've already passed them by, imo

the gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" over there is unreal, it really is a class divided society.

as i said the best thing about england is...the slappers...english girls have got to be the most randiest in europe if not the world
    ....they jump into bed with ya, no questions asked:D
    Well, I like the women, for sure. But, I also like plenty of other things they beat us at. Politics, comedy, tv, film, football commentary (noone mention the bin man on rte), appraisal of heroes, speed of progress, deploying new technology, inventing new technology.

Bollox to that.
    Sports: Premier League better than French League, Horse Racing better in England, Snooker, darts, Boxing, Swimming etc etc.
    The Arts: Better music from england, arguably better literature over the years, better orchestras in England etc etc
    Education: Shambles in France, fcukers striking every 2nd month, rows over muslim kids wearing their veils. etc etc
    Architecture: Arguable
    Cuisine: Yeah
    Wine: Yeah

So the French are better at eating and drinking and thats about it. Oh and smelling like poo as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Orange69 wrote: »
    Fair point, we should compare like with like...

How about Ireland vs. Uganda.
    Fair point, both countries ruled by Britain (in one way or another) - so a good comparison.

Bollox to that.
    Sports: Premier League better than French League, Horse Racing better in England, Snooker, darts, Boxing, Swimming etc etc.
    The Arts: Better music from england, arguably better literature over the years, better orchestras in England etc etc
    Education: Shambles in France, fcukers striking every 2nd month, rows over muslim kids wearing their veils. etc etc

So the French are better at eating and drinking and thats about it. Oh and smelling like poo as well.
    Arrogance, they are better at that than anyone else. France are arrogance kings. Not an attractive quality in a nation. A fit blonde perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Bollox to that.

ALL very debatable

ALL very debatable
    Well don't just stand there gawping man, debate it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement