Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England is better than Ireland isn't it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

ALL very debatable

Get debatin'

Edit:Too slow, damn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Come to think of it Germany is better than England.
    Better trains
    Superb roads
    Excellent Universities
    Cleaner Cities
    Pretty good Wine
    Better Food
    .......em....and Techno

Come to think of it Germany is better than England.
    Better trains
    Superb roads
    Excellent Universities
    Cleaner Cities
    Pretty good Wine
    Better Food
    .......em....and Techno

It's 'England Vs. Ireland' not 'England Vs. everyone else', stay on topic for christsakes.

Gotta agree with you on the techno point though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Pighead wrote: »
    Bollox to that.
    Sports: Premier League better than French League, Horse Racing better in England, Snooker, darts, Boxing, Swimming etc etc.
    The Arts: Better music from england, arguably better literature over the years, better orchestras in England etc etc
    Education: Shambles in France, fcukers striking every 2nd month, rows over muslim kids wearing their veils. etc etc
    Architecture: Arguable
    Cuisine: Yeah
    Wine: Yeah

So the French are better at eating and drinking and thats about it. Oh and smelling like poo as well.

"Premier League better than French League" Well england invented football so what u expect and the clubs get more money in england then france so they get better players

"Horse Racing better in England, Snooker, darts, Boxing, Swimming" Care to back that up

"Shambles in France, fcukers striking every 2nd month, rows over muslim kids wearing their veils. etc etc" Same in England
    Well don't just stand there gawping man, debate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

TPD wrote: »
    It's 'England Vs. Ireland' not 'England Vs. everyone else', stay on topic for christsakes.

Gotta agree with you on the techno point though :P

TPD I know we are totally sh*te so I am trying to diffuse the argument ;-)

Bollox to that.
    Sports: Premier League better than French League, Horse Racing better in England, Snooker, darts, Boxing, Swimming etc etc.
    The Arts: Better music from england, arguably better literature over the years, better orchestras in England etc etc
    Education: Shambles in France, fcukers striking every 2nd month, rows over muslim kids wearing their veils. etc etc
    Architecture: Arguable
    Cuisine: Yeah
    Wine: Yeah

So the French are better at eating and drinking and thats about it. Oh and smelling like poo as well.

"Premier League better than French League" Well england invented football so what u expect and the clubs get more money in england then france so they get better players

"Horse Racing better in England, Snooker, darts, Boxing, Swimming" Care to back that up

"Shambles in France, fcukers striking every 2nd month, rows over muslim kids wearing their veils. etc etc" Same in England
    Well don't just stand there gawping man, debate it!

There

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

We really are a rubbish, sad and embarrasing nation. We're not even friends with other nations. We're just neutral. We're the country who stays in on a saturday night.

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 moneymoneymoney

Well can you imagine anyone in the early 90s even considering it possible that *maybe* Ireland was as good as England. We're getting there folks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Pighead, why don't you just **** or get off the pot. Move to England and see who cares. Of course they are going to have things better than us: they ****ed half the world over.

• Advertisement

Pighead, why don't you just **** or get off the pot. Move to England and see who cares. Of course they are going to have things better than us: they ****ed half the world over.

He bites

We really are a rubbish, sad and embarrasing nation. We're not even friends with other nations. We're just neutral. We're the country who stays in on a saturday night.

Just cause we dont brown nose America like england doesnt mean we just hide We have a lot of peace keeping battalions all over the world. And i dont no about you but any country iv gone to has loved the fact im irish

Just cause we dont brown nose America like england doesnt mean we just hide We have a lot of peace keeping battalions all over the world. And i dont no about you but any country iv gone to has loved the fact im irish

English government brown noses American government.

All the language doesnt make u sound impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭eggplantman

Irelands better thats the end of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Orange69 wrote: »
    Fair point, we should compare like with like...

How about Ireland vs. Uganda.

Corrupt leadership - tick
    Complete government incompetence - tick
    3rd world health system - tick
    Crap roads and infrastructure - tick
    Wertz wrote: »
    ^ Nice

I wouldn't pay any mind to him.
    ~90% of his posts in AH are about how crap Ireland is compared to some posh Boston Mass. suburb.

The search is back. You'll be able to verify it yourself. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If we were part of England we'd have a free dodgy health-service instead of an expensive dodgy health-service.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7040159.stm
    The health secretary has told the trust at the centre of a hospital bug investigation to withhold any severance pay from its former chief executive.

Rose Gibb of Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust resigned on Friday after four years in the post.

Alan Johnson described the deaths of 90 hospital patients from Clostridium difficile as "scandalous".

Kent police have launched an investigation into whether the trust should be prosecuted for the deaths.
    on newsnight they were saying that patients wanting to go to the toilet were told to do it in the bed !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 kaska

more than half of the world..and everything they have now is directly or indirectly robbed frm the world..if not tech... rob money and create new tech

Quote:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Our city (we only have one city IMO) and big towns are tunning into English towns,I travel a lot in the UK and we are getting more and more smiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

at a time when the irish were living 12 people to a room and dying cause they fecking spuds weren't good, england was ruling the world.
    we've come on a long away.

Plus i hope everybodies idea of england isn't just London. The other cities are a pretty drepressing sprall of highrise flats and 1940's terress houses.

Our building boom did kill alot of nice senic areas, but atleast the builder were forced to put in green areas. You could walk a long way in a english city to see a green area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Ireland is better in many ways than England but we are at risk of losing our identity as we are becoming increasingly globalised .I lived in England for many years and now the towns in Ireland have many of the English stores, which is great for more choice .We have not been competitive and just sit back and watch it happen .Its a sort of apathy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Pighead, I agree with ya hon! I'm a true anglophile.
    My fave films are mostly from England
    My fave music is mostly from England
    My fave TV is mostly from England
    My fave authors are mostly from England
    I only buy English magazines
    I love several English newspaper titles
    English men are sexeh
    The English sense of humour is brilliant

And I find them to be one of the most self-deprecating peoples on earth - they're far from arrogant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7040159.stmon newsnight they were saying that patients wanting to go to the toilet were told to do it in the bed !

At least you get a bed to piss in:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

well i like both countries for what its worth.

for people who say england is just london then they obviously have never been to newcastle, liverpool, manchester, sheffield or blackpool.

to the poster who said ireland has only one city (typical dubliner) :D what is a city???

in global terms compared to tokyo, mexico city, Mumbai or sao paulo, dublin is a friggin village.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Dublin IS the ONLY city in Ireland as its the only place with a population over 1 million.

BTW to last poster who called Dublin a 'friggin village' - what does that make Cork or Galway!? Considering they are a speck of dust compared to Dublin as it is :0

You cultey **** ****** **** ********* **** :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

S'pose bottom line is, Ireland is good and also England is good, both in different ways.

If I wanted to be a big shot I'd move to London but if you want quality of life, stay in Ireland. It is a bit of silly debate really because everyone will find a place where they feel truly happy. There are good/****e things about both tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

darkman2 wrote: »
    Dublin IS the ONLY city in Ireland as its the only place with a population over 1 million.

BTW to last poster who called Dublin a 'friggin village' - what does that make Cork or Galway!? Considering they are a speck of dust compared to Dublin as it is :0

You cultey **** ****** **** ********* **** :P

whats a cultey??

1. Dublin city DOES NOT HAVE OVER A MILLION PEOPLE. it has about 500,000-600,000 people, the total population of the entire county Dublin is 1,186,821 :)

2. you define a city as being over a million inhabitants, boll*x. Dublin is a village in comparison to tokyo. Tokyo is 2.5 times the size of COUNTY DUBLIN or 2,200 sq kms (for those counting). the greater tokyo area is 13,500 sq kms and has a population of 35.5 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

had to laugh at poster who said Germany does alot of things better than england. Just too bad it's such a fecking dull place.

Mostly I find England depressing - I lived there, studied there and visit several times a year usually for work. It does have some good countryside but most of the cities and towns are just claustrophobic suburban and urban hellholes of grinding mediocrity punctuated by tower blocks and shopping malls

Parts of ireland are fast becoming the same thing. You need to be increasingly wealthy to get the best of living in both countries - but that applies more to England than Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

cornbb wrote: »
    after the end of their centuries of world domination.
    Actually its more like 50 years of world domination, and in fairness Spain had more territory both before and after them. Once the natives worked out which was the business end of a machine gun, oops, no more white man's burden, unless that burden happened to involve flaking out of the country as fast as your little pink pins will carry you, with your arse on fire.

Anyway I think Pighead is referring to current cultural offerings, not their general history. Ironically its because of the west brits in Montrose trying to ape the UK that Irish TV is crap. I think we should have a retelling of the original Moy Turan Irish myths done in Japanese anime style. I'm actually looking for investors for that one btw, in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

The thing that bugs me most about the Ireland is the cultural post-colonial inferiority complex in a few of its citizens. A lot of Irish are actually of UK descent too! The "Sure it'll do" attitude is slowly being phased out, anyone can see that. The country is doing well, why keep on comparing it to England (i.e. London in most cases) all the time. That city alone has more than double the populace, we were a very poor country until the mid-nineties and we are catching up very fast..thanks to the majority of Irish citizenry you make me proud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Pighead should pack pigheads bags, book pighead a 1 way flight, and fúck off to PigEngland so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I reckon most people over the age of 35 would be delighted with the way things are improving here. Many(not all) under that age have seen only mucho dosh swilling around & are frustrated that we're not as sophisticated as other countries who've had healthy economies a hell of a lot longer.
    Maybe we're way behind in cultural pursuits compared to Engerland, but we're still building motorways between our major towns, ffs. We still have a LOT of catching up to do.
    But at least we're getting there, and there's plenty of countries out there who'd happily swop economies with us.
    The key is spending the money well, not fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

rossie1977 wrote: »
    whats a cultey??

1. Dublin city DOES NOT HAVE OVER A MILLION PEOPLE. it has about 500,000-600,000 people, the total population of the entire county Dublin is 1,186,821 :)

2. you define a city as being over a million inhabitants, boll*x. Dublin is a village in comparison to tokyo. Tokyo is 2.5 times the size of COUNTY DUBLIN or 2,200 sq kms (for those counting). the greater tokyo area is 13,500 sq kms and has a population of 35.5 million.

Meh, you are seriously uninformed. To call that statement a load of bol**x would be an understatement tbh. You should really check the actual statistics mate, have you ever been to Dublin? You actually think that county Dublin has a population of 500000 + ?lol i presume you dont consider Tallaght, Blanchardstown etc., a part of the city?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Terry wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay any mind to him.
    ~90% of his posts in AH are about how crap Ireland is compared to some posh Boston Mass. suburb.

Got Bitterness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Patriot_man

Do us all a favour and go back to your brothers in england. We have had enough of you for hundreds of years.

Im surprised that this thread wasnt closed and pighead banned. But then I realise that this is borads.ie and this sort of thing is allowed. Imagine if it was the other way around, say 'Ireland is better then England isnt it', or 'Ireland is better then Isreal isnt it'. It would be closed immediately. I find that interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Well it is isn't it. Pighead can't quite put his finger on it but they just do stuff so much better than us. Television, music, They just exude an air of professionalism whilst us Irish give off more of a "ah fcuk it it'll do" kind of vibe. Pighead loves Ireland but its a bit like loving a chick who you know is quite plain looking but you'll keep her anyway because shes as good as you're gonna get.

Have to agree there. I went over in '89 and returned in 2003. Came back to nice new roads, lots of jobs...... however, the mentality & attitudes have barely moved on, still very backward over here in my opinion :(

TJ911...

I'd also like to add, england is no longer a powerful counrty. In the future they will become even less powerful as the likes of China and India increase. England was a powerful counrty in the past because it invaded counrtys, no better then nazi Germany imo. They are not to be looked up at, well maby if your english, like some on here.

Im surprised that this thread wasnt closed and pighead banned. But then I realise that this is borads.ie and this sort of thing is allowed. Imagine if it was the other way around, say 'Ireland is better then England isnt it', or 'Ireland is better then Isreal isnt it'. It would be closed immediately. I find that interesting.

I think you are incorrect.

They wouldn't be closed.

Ireland is far better than England, and Israel wouldn't get a look in either. ;)

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Have to agree there. I went over in '89 and returned in 2003. Came back to nice new roads, lots of jobs...... however, the mentality & attitudes have barely moved on, still very backward over here in my opinion :(

TJ911...

Why dont you go back if its so good? Are you Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 conhoe

Well, its a classic case of wingebags against Irish, ya England isnt as great as alot of you would think. Everyone has their own opinions , but mine is England is total Sh1te. Im engaged to a girl who's whole family are English and they are all full of donkey dung! Herself and her sister who were born in Ireland and raised to our standards are just fcuking majestic! Well ill finish by saying " I HATE ENGLAND " as a country and as aplace to go! Irish all the way!

*hmmm ,what did happen in 1966 again?????????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I've been living over here for a year now, and i really don't miss home at all. In alot of ways the two countries are very similar, nights out here and back home in *shudder* sligo, are so similar i've had to check what money was in my pocket to be sure of where i was.

Speaking of which, i prefer sterling now, mainly because the scottish banks print their own, and one of the designs for the 20 Pound features an angry scowling man clad in chainmail. It's the only demonination of currency that could kick your arse, and a bajillion times better than the bland Euro.

As for the health service, i've had no bother with it, after being charged through the nose to see a doctor in dublins fair city, having the free NHS is great, and free dentistry too.

And yeah, there are still scumbags (Neds as they call them), the transport system is actually better, due to being deregulated and multiple companies compete on the same lines, but it's by no means perfect. About the only thing i miss is garlic cheese chips and a decent pint of guinness, but i can live without them both.

Ohh and the ladies love the accent. I'll be staying here for a few years, and i can never see myself moving back to ireland (for job reasons) but right now this place is perfect for me.

So yeah, pighead, spot on!

Patriot Man - Does what he says on the tin. :D

Thats great to hear cheese. I would rather have the likes of you over there then here! Ireland doesnt need people like you!

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Patriot Man - Does what he says on the tin. :D

Well yeah., if you mean I love my counrty then yes - I am a 'patriot man'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

God yeah. Let's not have discussion. Let's just kick out everyone that won't say everything's perfect.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

big b wrote: »
    God yeah. Let's not have discussion. Let's just kick out everyone that won't say everything's perfect.:rolleyes:

OUT! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

big b wrote: »

I agree lets kick them all out we can use the ferrys to send them back to britain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Well yeah., if you mean I love my counrty then yes - I am a 'patriot man'.

There's loving your country, and then theres being a caricature of a hopped up, foaming at the mouth, anglophobic buffon.

Besides i see nothing wrong with being content in where you are, and recognising that other countries (yes, even them across the water) have their own merits.

now, shush your trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The common trait shared between English and Irish people is their ability to moan and whinge about trivia while their world collapses around them. Whilst the moaning and whinging carries on they ignore the fact that their governments are sh1te.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

rossie1977 wrote: »

This is a silly argument,Dublin was split for admin reasons back in the 80s (i think it was the 80s),I live right on the edge of the Dublin City boundary's down the end of my road is Fingal and I can tell you its all the one.

When talking about the population of New York do you just taken the population of Manhattan...?no because NY is made up of different distracts just like Dublin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement