Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England is better than Ireland isn't it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Dub13 wrote: »
    This is a silly argument,Dublin was split for admin reasons back in the 80s (i think it was the 80s),I live right on the edge of the Dublin City boundary's down the end of my road is Fingal and I can tell you its all the one.

When talking about the population of New York do you just taken the population of Manhattan...?no because NY is made up of different distracts just like Dublin.

Oh sweet jesus, lets not have this degenerate into a "dublin isnt a city!!" debate..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

There's good and bad in both, it all depends what you want to compare.

London imho is one of the best cities in the world but it is a very different city to Dublin. Dublin has a city centre and a soul, London is a sprawling mass with no focal point.

If you want to compare the BBC with RTE, then let not bother, the BBC is far superior to RTE.

Irish Education is far better than the British system, which is one of main reasons why we moved here.

Both health services are a joke, but at least you don't pay (Directly) for the British one.

Public Transport? Britain's is better, but a lot more expensive. My 30 minute journey into town in the rush hour costs me €3.20, in England it cost me £17.00:eek:

BT and Eircom? both are heavily unionised ex state owned bodies, but BT seems to manage their unions better whereas Eircom have their hands tied by their's.

Ireland is a secular country, which is less secular than England which is not:confused:

BA and Aer Lingus? see above.

Crime and disorder, not much to choose to be honest, I have no facts, but per head the level of gun crime is probably similar.

The English and Irish both have a chip on their shoulder, but in Ireland there are a lot of people carrying a full blown tropical rain forest around with them.

I like the fact I live on the coast, next to rolling countryside and yet I am only 20 minutes from the centre of a city so for me Ireland works, for others, England would work better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

...I would rather have the likes of you over there then here!
    It's probably a good thing for us that you opinions don't count for shit then.
    ...Ireland doesnt need people like you!
    Although we do seem to have an open door policy on assholes at the moment. Tell me, Patriot_man, what is it that makes you so superior? How hard did you work to elevate yourself to the esteemed ranks of the Irish? What wars have you fought or hardships have you been invovled in? Or did your parents just fuck here and you have no more right to your righteous indignation than any of the protesters at the love ulster parade? Now, back under your bridge troll, the adults are talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Knockoff Nige;54181432]Its a well known fact that Ireland is jealous of England. We really want to live in Manchester and Liverpool.
    Some of us do lol
    Not just for the women but for the football. The premier league could nearly be called Irish for the amount of support we give it (and rightly so). We love everything english but should anyone dare ask us about it, we HATE them. We really are a rubbish, sad and embarrasing nation. We're not even friends with other nations. We're just neutral. We're the country who stays in on a saturday night.

Sombody mentioned wanting the English team to lose at soccer .That is a sad irish trait and so small minded when i have seen the English get behind both NI and ROI soccer teams when required.The same people who are cheering on Rooney and co at Man Utd ,will the following week be screaming at them to lose with their countrys , very strange indeed ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Public Transport? Britain's is better, but a lot more expensive. My 30 minute journey into town in the rush hour costs me €3.20, in England it cost me £17.00:eek:
    Pigheads not having that. It was you that was at fault there for paying 17 quid, not the system. Theres special smartcards you can get in London and it costs something like 40 quid for unlimited weekly travel( bus tubes trains). So you can wipe that one of your list quicksmart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Patriot_man

There's loving your country, and then theres being a caricature of a hopped up, foaming at the mouth, anglophobic buffon.

Besides i see nothing wrong with being content in where you are, and recognising that other countries (yes, even them across the water) have their own merits.

now, shush your trolling.

All im doing is sticking up for my counrty against a tirade of anti-Irish posts by english settlers.
    People like you dont deserve to live here.

Pighead wrote: »
    Pigheads not having that. It was you that was at fault there for paying 17 quid, not the system. Theres special smartcards you can get in London and it costs something like 40 quid for unlimited weekly travel( bus tubes trains). So you can wipe that one of your list quicksmart.

Pighead, you name really does suit you. Now piss off

Im shocked by the amount of traitors on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Pighead is stating an opinion I believe and that is all.People take issue very easily .It all depends on what you expect from your country .Nowhere is perfect .and criticism is acceptable as it makes way for change .

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

All im doing is sticking up for my counrty against a tirade of anti-Irish posts by english settlers.

People like you don't deserve to live, anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

I would just like to say that i am Irish, but i am also open minded enough to realize that, by international standards, our country is a mismanaged, incompetently planned, dirty, crime ridden kip...

I recently read an article that the Swedish government sent an envoy to access Ireland as a travel destination for Swedish people. They deemed the country unsuitable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I think ireland is just fine without you protecting it's honour, though i'm sure it appricates the thought.

Pighead is shocked and surprised by your hostile tones. Wheres all that Irish cheerfulness and devil may care attitude we're so famous for. Pighead senses a lack of mothers love in this one. Or maybe he's from Longford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Now, Pighead doesn't need me to stick up for him, but that's pathetic. Surely you can come up with a smart(er) putdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Pighead is shocked and surprised by your hostile tones. Wheres all that Irish cheerfulness and devil may care attitude we're so famous for. Pighead senses a lack of mothers love in this one. Or maybe he's from Longford.

Woah, Pighead, woah. Not Longford, Roscommon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

<wondering how save to say spent first 19 years of life living in london>

:rolleyes:

Orange69 wrote: »
    I would just like to say that i am Irish, but i am also open minded enough to realize that, by international standards, our country is a mismanaged, incompetently planned, dirty, crime ridden kip...

Ireland has a long way to go in getting its act together with regard to infrastructure and crime and accountability .It does not appear to be able to deal with the population and all the problems ,as most people left Ireland in the past.It depended on the the UK and US to do that.No longer .

Well im shocked an surprised that there is someone out there like you. A wierdo of the highest order.

A bunch of liberal fags on the net who love england. Now isnt that surpising. I'll finish by saying - Ireland for the Irish, Death to the eternal enemy! Kill em all!

• Advertisement

A bunch of liberal fags on the net who love england. Now isnt that surpising. I'll finish by saying - Ireland for the Irish, Death to the eternal enemy! Kill em all!

My advice PM get out more the world does not start and finish in Ireland.:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

The best thing to come out of England is the plane back home to Dublin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

must...stop....feeding....illiterate...troll....

~Marky~ wrote: »
    The best thing to come out of England is the plane back home to Dublin :D

Aer Fungus of course ?

Well im shocked an surprised that there is someone out there like you. A wierdo of the highest order.
    Ah c'mon Patriot_man don't be like that buddy. Apart from the stuff you type and your slightly annoying username Pighead sees a great future internet relationship between us two.

Lets forget about all these boundaries and borders for a minute and rejoice in each others company and praise the lord for the wonderful planet hes put us on. Friends forever.x

...a tirade of anti-Irish posts by english settlers. ...

Ok, I'm dying to know, perhaps you could post your family lineage up here and we can authenticate your Irish superiority. I am reminded at this point of Oscar Wilde who said patriotism is the vitrue of the viscious.

Also, and not one to snap you from your patriotic ranting but you have yet to answer my questions regaring your right to claim Irish heritage over us heathon traitors.

Finally, in case you get banned before I get back with my cup of tea, it's been nice talkiing with you.

• Advertisement

Mr.Micro;54184709]My advice PM get out more the world does not start and finish in Ireland
    Yes, and living outside the country for long periods makes you realise that even more :D
    Quote Hammerheadgym - I am reminded at this point of Oscar Wilde who said patriotism is the vitrue of the viscious.
    Was that not ' patriotisim is the last refuge of the scoundral ' ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I've been thinking, and another thing about Ireland-England has me a wondering; Why do the majority of Irish people support an EPL club, Liverpool and the likes, don't have a clue about our own EPL, Pats, Bohs and the like, love the Irish team when it's doing well and always want the English team to lose. Its all very paradoxical if you ak me my dear Watson and it has my poor mind in a flutter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

You should join the BNP....they would love you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

the english have a wide selection of ales and beers, unlike our dull diaggio dictatorship, i commend them for that.

Also, you can buy onion bhajis and pork pies in garages.

Ok, I'm dying to know, perhaps you could post your family lineage up here and we can authenticate your Irish superiority. I am reminded at this point of Oscar Wilde who said patriotism is the vitrue of the viscious.

Also, and not one to snap you from your patriotic ranting but you have yet to answer my questions regaring your right to claim Irish heritage over us heathon traitors.

Finally, in case you get banned before I get back with my cup of tea, it's been nice talkiing with you.

I can trace back my Irish family roots for hundreds of years. And we were all Catholic Pure Irish. Something im very proud of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

fantastic! another "original" gimmick poster for AH.

I can trace back my Irish family roots for hundreds of years. And we were all Catholic Pure Irish. Something im very proud of.
    You should have kept on going back a few more hundred years. You would have seen that you evolved from the dung beetle.

It was a catholic dung beetle if that makes you happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Dub13 wrote: »
    This is a silly argument,Dublin was split for admin reasons back in the 80s (i think it was the 80s),I live right on the edge of the Dublin City boundary's down the end of my road is Fingal and I can tell you its all the one.

When talking about the population of New York do you just taken the population of Manhattan...?no because NY is made up of different distracts just like Dublin.

look guys the entire population of county dublin is 1.1 million and that includes places like balbriggan (~12,000), swords (~40,000), lucan (~40,000), malahide (~15,000), Skerries (9,000) etc etc. For me everything INSIDE THE M50 is dublin city.

the population of the 5 boroughs of NY is ~8.5 million, if we were to include the entire greater NY area (which is more appropriate to do than in dublin's case) the population will rise to ~20 million. read up on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

But then again, you are a racist, so your opinions don't count. Banned (again)

Bambi wrote: »
    the english have a wide selection of ales and beers, unlike our dull diaggio dictatorship, i commend them for that.

Also, you can buy onion bhajis and pork pies in garages.

Not forgetting fish & chips on a news paper,nothing better than eating chips and when you get to the end up pops Charlot from surry.....

cson;54184766]I've been thinking, and another thing about Ireland-England has me a wondering; Why do the majority of Irish people support an EPL club, Liverpool and the likes, don't have a clue about our own EPL, Pats, Bohs and the like, love the Irish team when it's doing well and always want the English team to lose. Its all very paradoxical if you ak me my dear Watson and it has my poor mind in a flutter.
    Because basicly my dear holmes its bcause they cant be arsed , probley with the same small mind that wants the English team to lose .......

I can trace back my Irish family roots for hundreds of years...

Excellent. What is your family name and maybe I can do the same.

Wow, an October join date, 17 posts, making inflammatory statements.....it couldn't be a troll...could it? :eek:

To the gallows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

All you're doing is making an arse of yourself.
    Read the original post again, read some of the follow ups....then read your retaliatory offerings which are off-topic and completely missing the point. I'm Irish and proud to be, but I'm still of the opinion that as far as what pighead's talking about, our wonderful little country lags behind the old enemy.
    There may well be a few ex-pat brits on here (some who are actually disagreeing with pighead, but managing to do it in a congenial fashion), but I think you'll find that most of us supporting the OP and the OP himself are all legitimate holders of an Irish passport. Do we deserve to live here?
    Your trite attitude toward the criticism of certain aspects of modern Ireland in comparison to England/UK epitomises excatly WHY it is this country lacks in that which we're all saying it's lacking in...
    The small minded backward ideology you've displayed in your handful of posts is merely illustrating the point that our little country and it's inhabitant's attitudes have a long way to come to maturity....and without that maturity and self confidence, we're going to continue to lag behind the UK with reagrd to what pighead couldn't quite put his finger on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Would you like to elaborate on that? Is it more of a shithole than Ireland? Do you miss Ireland? Do you yearn for hugs from the bosom of your family?

I yearned for a nice pint, the social aspect is what made me miss home. Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham are all kips. Haven't being up north but I imagine that it is also. London is the only place that is better but I don't know how long I could take it for. The one part England is better then Ireland is the cost of living and facilities.

For example it was 3.95 for a burger + chips + pint in one of the "big" pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

cson wrote: »
    I've been thinking, and another thing about Ireland-England has me a wondering; Why do the majority of Irish people support an EPL club, Liverpool and the likes, don't have a clue about our own EPL, Pats, Bohs and the like, love the Irish team when it's doing well and always want the English team to lose. Its all very paradoxical if you ak me my dear Watson and it has my poor mind in a flutter.

why do you think they support PREMIER league teams, and not Division 4 teams (or league two or whatever the feck it's called now?)

You should have kept on going back a few more hundred years. You would have seen that you evolved from the dung beetle.

It was a catholic dung beetle if that makes you happier.

Maybe he goes back to St Paddy...who was welsh.I wounder if he would be happy with that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'll finish by saying - Ireland for the Irish, Death to the eternal enemy! Kill em all!
    With attitudes like that in Ireland then I think Pigheads spot on with saying that England is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Don't bother feeding the troll. He is a known muppet under a load of different accounts (and the same IP).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

RasTa wrote: »
    Having lived in England for a year I have come to the conclusion that it's a sh!thole. London is nice though.

Having lived in England for 4 years I second that. I live in Portugal now and it's a far better country imo, got great weather, got pretty old villages, it's not crowded, very friendly people, great wine for less than €5 :D, cheap as fcuk to eat out. It's got its downsides like really sh1t drivers that even make Irish drivers look competent :eek:, cars and petrol are crazily expensive and a lot of bureaucracy.

Of course English TV is a helluva lot better than Irish TV on average, the population of the UK is 15 times greater, they have far more resources to put into these kinda things. I haven't lived in Ireland now for nearly 5 years (sheit just dawned on me that it's really that long :eek:) but still RTE has produced the odd quality program to be fair, I mean take Podge and Rodge, imo they're hilarious and it's something uniquely Irish that you just could never imagine the BBC or ITV doing.

Lastly it p1sses me off Irish people running our country down, especially in regards to England. Our forefathers struggled and many died at the hands of a tyrannical British (not just English) rule, it's good that relations between our two countries have improved but deriding Ireland in comparison to England is pretty gross imo.

To be considered REAL Irish you have to be still talking Irish daily not blarney and be from the Gaeltacht or Kerry .The rest of us Irish are just frauds as far as the Irish speakers are concerned

Giblet wrote: »
    Don't bother feeding the troll. He is a known muppet under a load of different accounts (and the same IP).

Cool. So..we win then? Nice

tbh wrote: »
    why do you think they support PREMIER league teams, and not Division 4 teams (or league two or whatever the feck it's called now?)

Bandwagon ftw. Well most of them.

Quote - Mr.Micro;54184870 To be considered REAL Irish you have to be still talking Irish daily not blarney and be from the Gaeltacht or Kerry .The rest of us Irish are just frauds as far as the Irish speakers are concerned
    WTF would they know ? most of us have to live in the real world .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Its mad though after learning Irish in school for many years I cant even put a sentence together now and I can speak english fluently :D
    Bristol is a great city heading back there tommorow for the 3rd time but I think in every city you are bound to get a ****hole somewhere...

Advertisement