Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England is better than Ireland isn't it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Marksie wrote: »
    depends. A line glass is for beer with heads and a brim glass for ales.

Drinking up north is generally the former and down south the latter

You can get real ales over there big time including the Bishops finger. You can get that in Ireland as well, but its nothing to do with drink
    :D

the only thing i miss about England, apart from watching Pompey are:-

real ale
    Woolworths
    Decent Donor Kebabs
    Real ale

cson wrote: »
    Come to think of it, theres feck all sports we're actually better than England at, hurling maybe.

Try this crowd http://www.cuchulainnsgaa.com/hurling.html :D

(link to Hurling team in London)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

and they're not bad at rugby either:rolleyes:

swing low sweet chariot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

Bambi wrote: »
    Hang on, stop the bus. Stop the f***king bus a minute. You're putting forward a film made for yanks about little tinker boys who lost their horsey as an accurate portayal of ireland 15 years ago?

Do you realise how hilariously retarded that is?

Watch anything from 15 years ago and see how far we have come as a nation, I took that movie as an example since I only watched it the other day..The Ballymun flats, even the state of the streets, the cars (when I watched it I thought it was the mid-eighties to be honest maybe that's what director Mike Newell intended)..OK take The Commitments then set 2 years earlier, whatever, the country looked like ****. Don't be so pedantic and settle on that one comment from my post as representative of the argument I was making, it makes you look completely foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

oh deary weary me. I live in ballymun. I was there when they shot the damn film. They shipped in burnt out cars and old washing machines etc to add the "authenticity". They even spray painted more graffiti on the walls too. Thats yer realism. When you make one comment based on hilariously retarded assumptions then the rest of yer arguments become suspect. :)

You werent actually around to know what ireland was like 15 years ago were you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

A Dub in Glasgo;54194468]Over populated, maybe you should travel a bit?

Seems a lot of people confuse England with Britain and vice versa.
    I used the word over populated when perhaps i should have said overcrowded and said ' islands ' as to represent England Scotland Wales and NI .I learned that when i was about 5 ,and would say 2 milllion people over a period of a decade adds considerably to a nation .I have done my fair share of traveling around Britain in the last 20 years , mainly England and wales .
    Quote indough - No, England is nowhere near overpopulated. It currently ranks at having the 35th highest population density of all countries, at 388.7 people/km². The highest is Monaco at 18,285 people/km². As I said, England is nowhere near overpopulated.
    Replace England with overcrowded Britain .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

Bambi wrote: »
    oh deary weary me. I live in ballymun. I was there when they shot the damn film. They shipped in burnt out cars and old washing machines etc to add the "authenticity". They even spray painted more graffiti on the walls too. Thats yer realism. When you make one comment based on hilariously retarded assumptions then the rest of yer arguments become suspect. :)

You werent actually around to know what ireland was like 15 years ago were you?

Yes actually I lived in a not exactly nice part of the Northside throughout the seventies, eighties and nineties, and it was pretty much a horrible place, still isn't that nice a place which is why I no longer live there. I can remember the dole queues, the old cars, the shops closing down, people emigrating, the recession, the lack of money, the difficulties finding a job. Yes my friend I lived through it all, and it wasn't nice. I can only assume that you can't see any regeneration in your part of the city or see any positives in the Ireland of today, and 'retarded' is a word you like to use. A lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

latchyco wrote: »
    I used the word over populated when perhaps i should have said overcrowded and said ' islands ' as to represent England Scotland Wales and NI .I learned that when i was about 5 ,and would say 2 milllion people over a period of a decade adds considerably to a nation .I have done my fair share of traveling around Britain in the last 20 years , mainly England and wales .

Replace England with overcrowded Britain .....

Scotland - 65 people/km²
    Wales - 140 people/km²
    England - 388.7 people/km²
    NI (although its not actually not part of Britain, but the UK) - 122 /km²

Britain - 238.57 people/km²

Whichever way you look at it you're still wrong. By the way, population density is a measure of overcrowdedness not overpopulation.

Whichever way you look at it you're still wrong. By the way, population density is a measure of overcrowdedness not overpopulation.
    IF you take a city like Liverpool for example it is not as populated as some British citys (not counting Merseyside in general ) and i am sure you have at time heard people refer to Say, London as 'overcrowded ' as in streets.So if 2 million immigrants arrive in the next 10 years, and 1 quater of them decide to live in the gtr london area (asuming they are ligit ) then thats overcrowding in my book ,matimatics and reality sometimes clash lol, but i take your point .

remember I said that non-criminals have nothing to fear from CCTV, I didn't say that they have nothing to fear from the police.
    Still doesnt deter or stop shoplifters , we each pay £135 a year in costs due to shoplifting crime ,and cctv can be misused for voyourisim ,but think i would rather have it than not.

IF you take a city like Liverpool for example it is not as populated as some British citys (not counting Merseyside in general ) and i am sure you have at time heard people refer to Say, London as 'overcrowded ' as in streets.So if 2 million immigrants arrive in the next 10 years, and 1 quater of them decide to live in the gtr london area (asuming they are ligit ) then thats overcrowding in my book ,matimatics and reality sometimes clash lol, but i take your point .

If you go down the route of doing it city by city then you also have to take into account the fact that English cities grow upwards far more than Irish cities also (as in taller buildings and lots more of them). This helps to ease overcrowding greatly.
    Still doesnt deter or stop shoplifters , we each pay £135 a year in costs due to shoplifting crime ,and cctv can be misused for voyourisim ,but think i would rather have it than not.

Anything can be misused though, its the people misusing it that are the problem not the thing itself.

Again I say both countries have their good and bad points.

• Advertisement

;54198443]If you go down the route of doing it city by city then you also have to take into account the fact that English cities grow upwards far more than Irish cities also (as in taller buildings and lots more of them). This helps to ease overcrowding greatly.
    thats correct .

Anything can be misused though, its the people misusing it that are the problem not the thing itself.

Again I say both countries have their good and bad points
    yes, and i would never say one is better than the other .It can be a lot easier at times for sombody like myself who left ireland to appricate it more when we return for a vist , while at the same time remembering it how it was before we left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭nicolo

tis a pity its full of the English

nicolo wrote: »
    tis a pity its full of the English

and "plastic Paddies"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/britain/article/0,,1871753,00.html
    Applications from UK-born citizens for Irish passports have more than doubled in the past year, partially reflecting, it is thought, tourists' heightened fears about revealing their British identity abroad.
    The figures, released to the Guardian, show a rapid rise in the period since the July 7 London tube and bus bombings at a time when al-Qaida sympathisers have been targeting British travellers in the Middle East. As many as 6 million people in the UK have an Irish grandfather or grandmother, which entitles them to claim citizenship in the Republic. The same generous regulations have traditionally allowed the Irish football team to draw on a wide reserve of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Unpossible wrote: »
    yore ma?

oh lol

London as a city is amazing. There's something very magical about it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

An Citeog wrote: »
    It tastes different in Germany too and in Spain, but not quite as bad. The difference in the taste of Fanta is completely different from country to country. :confused: I'm guessing they all have something to do with the quality of the local water supply.
    In the case of italy they coke bought out the local leading orange drink, kept the old formula and just called it Fanta .

with cadbury's the difference is in the milk , UK chocolate is yukkie

Quote - =dolanbaker;54199735]and "plastic Paddies"
    What a horrible expression. What about the 2nd 3rd generation pre celtic tiger irish/american/aussie/canadian/european .......are they plastic paddies to ?
    Quote wollyredhat- London as a city is amazing. There's something very magical about it
    Great buzz about London, although byond its outer exterior their is a seedier side to lol

What a horrible expression. What about the 2nd 3rd generation pre celtic tiger irish/american/aussie/canadian/european .......are they plastic paddies to ?

When they become "more Irish than the Irish" Yes! those that integrate into their host countries No!

=dolanbaker;54200271]When they become "more Irish than the Irish" Yes! those that integrate into their host countries No!
    Just like the irish who emigrated and intergrated in their host countrys but dont live in ireland .....and your right , you have to live outside ireland to be ' more irish than the irish ' .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

the fish&chips is nicer over there too, me thinks:)

• Advertisement

philstar wrote: »
    the fish&chips is nicer over there too, me thinks:)

+1

except from a Greek kebak house :euk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Meh, to me, England is just a larger Ireland with a different accent. They're really just as stupid, unhealty and as drunk as the rest of us here in Ireland.

Meh, to me, England is just a larger Ireland with a different accent. They're really just as stupid, unhealty and as drunk as the rest of us here in Ireland.

You're not wrong there, despite the air of superiority displayed by a (very) small minority.

Oh! and the british Conservative party. :rolleyes:

You're not wrong there, despite the air of superiority displayed by a (very) small minority.

Honestly I think the same thing could be said for Ireland, and anywhere else for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

indough wrote: »
    Honestly I think the same thing could be said for Ireland, and anywhere else for that matter.

No honestly, you should see it!! Distinctions between class still matter a lot in England! No matter how bad you think it has become in Ireland you should see it here. There are certain elements within English society who feel that they are naturally better than all those around them and many of them are Conservatives. It's quite unpleasant to witness.

I do like lots of things about England but that is one thing I despise.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    No honestly, you should see it!! Distinctions between class still matter a lot in England! No matter how bad you think it has become in Ireland you should see it here. There are certain elements within English society who feel that they are naturally better than all those around them and many of them are Conservatives. It's quite unpleasant to witness.

I would say exactly the same thing about where I live though, I hate that attitude and it really surprised me that it existed to the extent it does in Ireland. Still, I guess snobs are snobe and they exist everywhere.

wtf is the deal with the american accent thing? my niece is telling me her Mom is helping them use compuders in school and all the liddle children think it is sooo coool:eek:

• Advertisement

wtf is the deal with the american accent thing? my niece is telling me her Mom is helping them use compuders in school and all the liddle children think it is sooo coool:eek:

Dude, like wtf? Man, that is so totally freaking, like..yeah! Awesome observation man! :)

It is true, a lot of Irish people do have a slight "Mid-Atlantic" twang to their accent. I guess it comes from having too much American television. I expect that England will go the same way now that Channel Five have launched their FiveUS channel :D I really do blame Friends, Sex in the City and now Ugly Betty for this trend, moreso than NYPD Blue, CSI or any of the others. God forbid our accents ever become as Americanised as those in Israel! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Cionnfhaolaidh

Of course England is better, it's our mother country, we look up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

Yeah must say i do agree with England is a better country than Ireland but really thats only because they've been holding us back for so long and only now can we catch up! i personally have nothing against the English but that is the truth

LovelyTom wrote: »
    Yeah must say i do agree with England is a better country than Ireland but really thats only because they've been holding us back for so long and only now can we catch up! i personally have nothing against the English but that is the truth

do explain. holding Ireland back how? taking all the school leavers who couldn't get a job in Ireland thereby stealing all the talent?

Robert ninja;54201353]Meh, to me, England is just a larger Ireland with a different accent. They're really just as stupid, unhealty and as drunk as the rest of us here in Ireland.
    LOL , now that is what you would call a fair assumtion as it favors neither country .
    Quote r3nu41 No honestly, you should see it!! Distinctions between class still matter a lot in England! No matter how bad you think it has become in Ireland you should see it here. There are certain elements within English society who feel that they are naturally better than all those around them and many of them are Conservatives. It's quite unpleasant to witness.

Like the royal family ? I read today that prince william has introduced his girlfriend into the art of shooting Stags ,now that piss's me off .....

• Advertisement

LOL , now that is what you would call a fair assumtion as it favors neither country .

Like the royal family ? I read today that prince william has introduced his girlfriend into the art of shooting Stags ,now that piss's me off .....

She'll have great fun in Temple Bar then:D

Quote =Fratton Fred;54204779]She'll have great fun in Temple Bar then:D
    He He ...Temple bar reminds me of that scene in the godfather (were de niro is sitting around with his family before and after he shoots the horrible landlord) ........ An overcrowded slum :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Great buzz about London, although byond its outer exterior their is a seedier side to lol

Yes there is a great buzz all right.

Dude, like wtf? Man, that is so totally freaking, like..yeah! Awesome observation man! :)

It is true, a lot of Irish people do have a slight "Mid-Atlantic" twang to their accent. I guess it comes from having too much American television. I expect that England will go the same way now that Channel Five have launched their FiveUS channel :D I really do blame Friends, Sex in the City and now Ugly Betty for this trend, moreso than NYPD Blue, CSI or any of the others. God forbid our accents ever become as Americanised as those in Israel! :eek:

Dubbing!

Dubbing is the answer, the BBC dub some american childrens shows with English voices to stop pre-school children speaking "Americanese".

TG4 do the same here. RTÉ should dub childrens shows as well.
    Think Dora with a northside accent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭stcatherine

I'm married to an English guy and we Just moved to Ireland (I left here 20 years ago) and I have to say we couldn't wait to get out of there. The country is going to the bloody dogs and we were rats deserting a sinking ship !
    All the government seem interested in doing is making the gap between rich and poor as wide as possible. Trust me, you have a much better quality of life here.

Ireland may be a better country to live at work but Comparing the price of everything In Dublin , house's apartment's clothes food , price of a pint etc..these things are much cheaper ,specialy in the north of england.
    I am married to an english girl and much as i love the place , we could not afford (given the choice ) to live back in ireland .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

All the government seem interested in doing is making the gap between rich and poor as wide as possible.
    I think a lot of people would argue that the above applies to this country's government too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

This thread makes me laugh

the countries are ridiculously similar IMO

I'm of the view that they are actually VERY different - surprisingly so considering their close proximity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

This thread is clearly a case of trolling. I recommend that Pighead be banned immediately to prevent this in future.

Note: Pighead is also a scitso - he refers to himself in the third snese. I propose that this is contrary to the charter and that these individuals be dealt with firmly but justly (with due regard to any mental illness). Therefore a ban is required.

Nothing personal Pighead but you are clearly trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

All the government seem interested in doing is making the gap between rich and poor as wide as possible. Trust me, you have a much better quality of life here.

Here too, apparently it's called progress, moving forward, success, being able to compare ourselves with other Western countries. The more like the USA we become apparently the more successful we are, the more westernised we become the more progress we make?????

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    This thread makes me laugh

the countries are ridiculously similar IMO

Nope, they are definitely not similar, I only moved to England 3 years ago and I can tell you that the countries are very different. It's difficult to see the differences if you only spend the odd week or so in one country versus the other, you really have to have lived in both for a significant period to suss the many subtleties of difference that really do add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Nope, they are definitely not similar, I only moved to England 3 years ago and I can tell you that the countries are very different. It's difficult to see the differences if you only spend the odd week or so in one country versus the other, you really have to have lived in both for a significant period to suss the many subtleties of difference that really do add up.
    Ha! In your face p_larkin. Not laughing now are ya. And what prey tell have your experiences of England been over the years. A weekend in Manchester for a Utd match? A couple of days in Alton Towers? A snog with an essex tart in Temple Bar maybe. As Renewal said the differences in many cases are subtle. You obviously don't do subtle.

Bottom line is you're wrong buddy. Pighead expects an apology by noon.

that's very true. I'm not sure which is better but as I said earlier in the thread, Ireland suits me best right now and is definately a better place for our daughter. Hopefully that will last as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

In Manchester on Sunday and the first pub we were in did the usual, straight up to the bar, look at the taps, "barmaid, two pints of Whingers Bitter please", looked down the bar and the three people standing to my right were all looking at me and grinning sheepishly, I smiled reassuringly in return picked up my drinks and as I walked away someone else came and stood behind the third person. It then dawned on me that there was a queue!
    So two big differences
    1. The English quietly queue in bars for drinks
    2. When someone cuts the queue then don't lamp them
    The third difference is English men drink halves which is really, really weird:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

MoominPapa wrote: »
    The third difference is English men drink halves which is really, really weird:confused:
    I have never seen that in many years of frequenting English pubs.

MoominPapa wrote: »
    In Manchester on Sunday and the first pub we were in did the usual, straight up to the bar, look at the taps, "barmaid, two pints of Whingers Bitter please", looked down the bar and the three people standing to my right were all looking at me and grinning sheepishly, I smiled reassuringly in return picked up my drinks and as I walked away someone else came and stood behind the third person. It then dawned on me that there was a queue!
    So two big differences
    1. The English quietly queue in bars for drinks
    2. When someone cuts the queue then don't lamp them

where the hell were you? apart from the fact Irish bar staff have the ability to serve 6 people at the same time and you quite often get table service, buying a drink in England is pretty much the same as here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

buying a drink in England is pretty much the same as here.
    Except they don't take the money off you for the round in Ireland until the last pint has been poured, in England they will take the cash before the top-up.

MoominPapa wrote:
    When someone cuts the queue then don't lamp them
    Well in your case it was accidental, but people who deliberately cut queues deserve a lamping.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    I have never seen that in many years of frequenting English pubs.

Where the hell have you been drinking then? :confused: I've worked in London and Cambridge and seen plenty of halves ordered and drunk by guys...and they weren't gay bars either (before anyone suggests it!). Maybe it's only down South that that happens, they're all 'soft' down South apparently! :D

Advertisement