Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England is better than Ireland isn't it.

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

where the hell were you?
    In fairness it was on Piccadilly and turned out to be full of fruit machines and people eating roast beef, they drew us in with the promise of a real ale festival which turned out to be four taps, so it wasn't a real boozer and we didn't stick around but this would never happen in Ireland no matter how much of a joke the place was. Also the serve one at a time culture drives me :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Maybe it's only down South that that happens, they're all 'soft' down South apparently! :D
    Ahh, that explains it then. Real men don't drink halves, those soft southerners are clearly not manly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Also the serve one at a time culture drives me :mad:

Yeah, I've mentioned this before. Last St Patricks day I was in an "Irish" pub
    and despite the 4-deep queue at the bar the staff still didn't see any need to maybe just nudge themselves on a bit :)

Fair play to them in one sense but it's sooo frustrating when you're used to seeing bar staff serve four customers at once while engaging in three different conversations with other people at the bar and counting the nights takings at the same time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Of course England is better than Ireland!

They invented stout. We wouldn't have Guiness. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

robinph wrote: »
    Ahh, that explains it then. Real men don't drink halves, those soft southerners are clearly not manly enough.

QFT

i must admit the bar staff in england are not a patch on irish bar staff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Where the hell have you been drinking then? :confused: I've worked in London and Cambridge and seen plenty of halves ordered and drunk by guys...and they weren't gay bars either (before anyone suggests it!). Maybe it's only down South that that happens, they're all 'soft' down South apparently! :D

OI, I'm a southerner. In fact, people frm further south than me smell of garlic and eat snails.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Bex81

TPD wrote: »
    I've come out of the English education system a few years ago and into the Irish one, I can tell you first hand that the English way of doing things is a lot better.

Im the opposite. Did all my schooling and my undergrad in Ireland. Then did 2 years of post-grad studies in the UK. I know its kinda apples & oranges, but, IMHO, the Irish system is far superior. Its also far tougher. But you earn a far greater variety of knowledge here in comparison to over yonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It is not uncommon in some suburban pubs in England to see one bar person serving the whole pub ,they do skimp on bar staff compared to ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Pighead wrote: »
    Ha! In your face p_larkin. Not laughing now are ya. And what prey tell have your experiences of England been over the years. A weekend in Manchester for a Utd match? A couple of days in Alton Towers? A snog with an essex tart in Temple Bar maybe. As Renewal said the differences in many cases are subtle. You obviously don't do subtle.

Bottom line is you're wrong buddy. Pighead expects an apology by noon.

no actually im only over here for college - after all the education system over here is "superior"

English born and bred son!

but yes i've been to many a UTD game, Alton Towers 3 times and an Essex girl in Essex!

I can obviously only talk from my experience (i've only ever lived in Dublin) and from what i've encountered they are the same!

You could compare it in soccer terms , ireland is now the premirship were division 1 England used to be , however only so many can afford to live in the premership ,but it is much cheaper and less hassle to live in divison 1 ??????..

Actually i agree with previous poster ,they are both the same ......:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love England for one reason: The trashy magazines!! (Take a Break, etc)

I love reading about 'Diane, 56, had outgrown her favourite gold sequined halter neck belly top nut loved it so much she didn't want to throw it out. Instead she turned it into this lovely photo frame. [Insert picture of frame containing photo of fat Diane in her bikini holding a can of lager in Playa del Ingles] Diane says, 'Now everyone can see my treasured memories in my photoframe....and it's classy and stylish too!!'

I also love the ones where the women didnt realise they were pregnant until the baby ended up in the toilet!!

Irish magazines just don't have the same je ne sais quoi!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Bex81 wrote: »
    Im the opposite. Did all my schooling and my undergrad in Ireland. Then did 2 years of post-grad studies in the UK. I know its kinda apples & oranges, but, IMHO, the Irish system is far superior. Its also far tougher. But you earn a far greater variety of knowledge here in comparison to over yonder.

A greater variety, but less detailed knowledge on each subject. Like you say though, apples and oranges.

Ever notice how thy have 5 other such like magazines with the same celeb on the front cover, but her denying the gossip that she was paid £2000 to confirm was true in the other mag's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

magick wrote: »
    me arse to england

Who needs Ireland really? ****y transport system, nothing is ever on time. Nothing is structured, people have no clue how to treat their animals, Dublin is probably the dirtiest city in the country, The Irish just love themselves ...

100% vote for England!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I can obviously only talk from my experience (i've only ever lived in Dublin) and from what i've encountered they are the same!
    Well apart from GAA, crap infrastructure, crap television, muck-savage politicians...

I love reading about 'Diane, 56, had outgrown her favourite gold sequined halter neck belly top nut loved it so much she didn't want to throw it out. Instead she turned it into this lovely photo frame. [Insert picture of frame containing photo of fat Diane in her bikini holding a can of lager in Playa del Ingles] Diane says, 'Now everyone can see my treasured memories in my photoframe....and it's classy and stylish too!!'

I also love the ones where the women didnt realise they were pregnant until the baby ended up in the toilet!!

Irish magazines just don't have the same je ne sais quoi!!
    Oh yeah, those magazines are class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh yeah, those magazines are class!
    I hope you include Nuts, Zoo and Viz in with those:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fantasma

Ireland is better pighead and if you don´t like it then you have an option.Obviously you should have stayed there. We want people who will look forward and build not look back. Ireland has improved a lot and we have a good quality of life.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fantasma

WindSock wrote: »
    It's only better in some ways because it's bigger,more populated and richer.
    I wouldn't swap their social problems for ours in a million years. At least our knackers aren't chavs.

What are they then? Just knackers?? Or bad wee boys with tracksuits on??

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

China used to be cool.

Corega wrote: »
    China used to be cool.
    :rolleyes::confused: since tiananmen Square?

What the hell has that to do with England -v- Ireland???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

elambra wrote: »
    Hi,

From my 2.5 years of living in England, I find that overall it is not a nice place to live permanently. In fact there are far too many immigrants.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah haaaah hah. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Yeah, I've mentioned this before. Last St Patricks day I was in an "Irish" pub
    and despite the 4-deep queue at the bar the staff still didn't see any need to maybe just nudge themselves on a bit :)

Fair play to them in one sense but it's sooo frustrating when you're used to seeing bar staff serve four customers at once while engaging in three different conversations with other people at the bar and counting the nights takings at the same time. :)

Yeah, you know it's a fact that english barmen are horribly slow. Just go down the clubs in the west end on the weekend, and you'll see endless queues of people while the barman stands around yakking. There's a big difference between the standard english "local" and the irish "local" in that there's less hardcore binge drinking goes on in english locals. (note I didn't say none) a normal Irish local is a lot busier than an english one because the Irish are there to drink first and talk second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

English girls are better than Irish girls.As in sluts;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Far away hills are always greener.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

+ London, Alton Towers, Infrastructure & Public transport

- Mustard on everything, they're English, Sh!tty newspapers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Nightwish wrote: »
    + Mustard on everything, Alton Towers, Infrastructure & Public transport

- London, they're English, Sh!tty newspapers

Fixed that for ya ;)

Advertisement