Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor What are you playing at?

• 11-10-2007 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭

With meteor a good few years now and we used to be able to check your last call history by texting *#101# and it would tell you how long you were on the call for and how much it cost you , really handy rather than ringing 1741. Meteor have discontinued this txt service! Really why? :mad: The second thing that happened this week was that the email service (eg:085*******@sms.mymeteor.ie ) that could forward your email to your phone doesn't seem to work . You have to use the MMS version instead....
    Why is meteor getting rid of these services ? cost them too much ? not enough people use them? NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE COMPLAIN!!???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

They use to have a service for billpay customers that allowed you to have a "subscription holiday" where you could take a break from your contract for up to three months as well as the flash texts where texts sent would populate straight onto the screen of the receipients phone. Not any more for either service it seems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

they have really been slacking as of late. probably since the scumbags eircon took them over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    The second thing that happened this week was that the email service (eg:085*******@sms.mymeteor.ie )

If this is true great I might actually move back I was getting about 30 to 50 spam messages a day from this and Meteor could do nothing about it in fact they knew nothing about the service I had to fax them a page of there own web site to prove that they have an email to sms service even at that they wouldn't take it off my account so I moved to vodafone no more spam.... oh and the spam wasn't coming from forwarded email it was going straight to XXXXXXX@sms.mymeteor.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

1. The last call things isn't really that important. You can check your last call and duration on nearly every handset known to man.

2. sms email didn't cost you anything. MMS doesn't either. I fail to see the problem.

3. The payment holiday is still there as far as I know. I don't think that has been stopped.

Meteor have updated their systems and with the newer features they have (such as the Automatic Device Detection for MMS/WAP settings [which is infinitely more useful than last call]), older, less necessary options were lost. All that information is still available to you, just not the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

08xxxxxxxx@sms.mymeteor.ie is working for me now although it wasn't last night (got a bounced email).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

chrislad wrote: »
    1. The last call things isn't really that important. You can check your last call and duration on nearly every handset known to man.
    Yes they do show the time of the call and date and call duration but do they show how much the call cost you?..... The txt service is very handy for this and quicker than ringing 1741.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

Slice wrote: »
    They use to have a service for billpay customers that allowed you to have a "subscription holiday" where you could take a break from your contract for up to three months
    This service is still available. You can call 1905 and request a contract holiday which must be between 1 and 3 months and your contract is extended by this amount of time once you have your account reactivated.

Yes they do show the time of the call and date and call duration but do they show how much the call cost you?..... The txt service is very handy for this and quicker than ringing 1741.

You have the option for a call costing solution in your phone where you can set the rates per min. Most Nokia's have this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

You have the option for a call costing solution in your phone where you can set the rates per min. Most Nokia's have this

My call rates aren't fixed . Call are charged at different rates for different networks and at different times. Can Nokia phones do this. Surely the txt service (*#101#) was easier than all this!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

whenever you call someone on meteor who has that horrible call-catcher turned on you are charged for the call which should be free as meteor can only charge for calls to voicemail, that call catcher while giving a similar service by text is not a voicemail service and therefore should incur no charge to connect to it!

and even the option when ring 1742 does not work anymore

• Advertisement

Incorrect. The way call catcher works is that it sends a message if you hang up on a person BEFORE the beep comes on a voice mail. If you get to the point where the call connects to a voice mail, of course you are going to get charged. To reiterate, you are not charged for receiving or sending any call catchers.

Seriously, facts. Look into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HiredGun

Meteor have discontinued this txt service! Really why? :mad:

I don't know the details, but I have heard that Meteor is making some serious changes to the core of their network. Apparently they are swapping out the so-called "IN" which is the billing engine for pre-pay customers. The previous IN was a piece of crap from the days that Meteor didn't have a penny to invest. It offered some innovative services but it wasn't very stable. I understand that they are now replacing it with a more solid piece of kit. So it may be a pity that that feature was lost, at the same time it is actually a sign that eircom is investing in the network.

Incorrect. The way call catcher works is that it sends a message if you hang up on a person BEFORE the beep comes on a voice mail. If you get to the point where the call connects to a voice mail, of course you are going to get charged. To reiterate, you are not charged for receiving or sending any call catchers.

Seriously, facts. Look into them.

well then why am i charged any time i call people who have call catcher?? i get voice sayiny your call can not be connected as the person is unreachable! using call catcher but enter your number if they will recieve a message alerting them to the call.
    thats not exact wording but i know for fact that meteor charge people in error when we ring a number and get this call catcher! and this is not voicemail so meteor should not be charging for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HiredGun

foggy_lad wrote: »
    well then why am i charged any time i call people who have call catcher?? i get voice sayiny your call can not be connected as the person is unreachable! using call catcher but enter your number if they will recieve a message alerting them to the call.
    thats not exact wording but i know for fact that meteor charge people in error when we ring a number and get this call catcher! and this is not voicemail so meteor should not be charging for it!

That's almost certainly why Meteor installed Call Catcher. They get revenue because Call Catcher answers the call and the people that get the notification are likely to call the person back.

That happens when people set up call catcher but don't set up voicemail. When both are off, it just rings out. I have both set up, and it diverts to voice mail. When people don't leave a message, I get a text. When they do, I don't. That message is a default message which only shows up in the circumstances I already explained. It's off by default, and in my experience, and I can't confirm this right now, it only comes on when you are ringing on a private number (which is the only time I've heard it when I call from work phone which is a private number)

HiredGun wrote: »
    That's almost certainly why Meteor installed Call Catcher. They get revenue because Call Catcher answers the call and the people that get the notification are likely to call the person back.

the call is only deemed answered when the calling party can leave a voice message which cant be done with call catcher

That happens when people set up call catcher but don't set up voicemail. When both are off, it just rings out. I have both set up, and it diverts to voice mail. When people don't leave a message, I get a text. When they do, I don't. That message is a default message which only shows up in the circumstances I already explained. It's off by default, and in my experience, and I can't confirm this right now, it only comes on when you are ringing on a private number (which is the only time I've heard it when I call from work phone which is a private number)

yes so if i ring any meteor number which has call catcher set up i will be charged for a call which legally should be free as there is no voicemail attached to call catcher and if i dont want to leave my number there is no point in having call catcher ay all

that call catcher message is basically notifying a call which cannot be answered and as such meteor are obliged to provide these calls without charging regardless of whether i show my number or not

Try reading what I wrote again. The reason you are being charged is not because of Meteor directly, it's because you are ringing on a private number (again, not 100% sure on this but it's the only time I've ever encountered a voice message for call catcher) and because the person has set up his account to use call catcher. Call Catcher is notifying you if you missed a call, and you are NOT charged for this service. You are only charged, I believe, in the circumstances I have explained. Really, this is no different to leaving a voice mail. If you don't want to leave one, you hang up and the charge is minimal, probably only about 1c.

Seriously, you really need to just think before you type. Legally should be free? Show me a law that says that. Seriously. I'll write it off as it being late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I just rang my o2 number (phone off) from my meteor phone and it charged me to tell me that i didn't have my voicemail set up

then i turned off my 3 phone and rang it. It charged me and i hung up before the beep

then i turned off my meteor phone and rang it. Same thing

the only one that didn't charge me was vodafone telling me i was inaccessible

yes i have sims from all four networks and a phone for each, and a few spare. Does that make me sad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

yes i have sims from all four networks and a phone for each, and a few spare. Does that make me sad?

sad? no. it just tells us you have lots of friends spread across 4 networks and that you carry 4 mobiles phones around and perhaps you get looks from people wondering what those bulges in your front pockets are ;)

LOL

Try reading what I wrote again. The reason you are being charged is not because of Meteor directly, it's because you are ringing on a private number (again, not 100% sure on this but it's the only time I've ever encountered a voice message for call catcher) and because the person has set up his account to use call catcher. Call Catcher is notifying you if you missed a call, and you are NOT charged for this service. You are only charged, I believe, in the circumstances I have explained. Really, this is no different to leaving a voice mail. If you don't want to leave one, you hang up and the charge is minimal, probably only about 1c.

Seriously, you really need to just think before you type. Legally should be free? Show me a law that says that. Seriously. I'll write it off as it being late.

read what i posted again cos i have never had call catcher! if i ring and get engaged tone - no charge! if i get "call cant be connected - no charge! out of coverage etc - no charge! if i get voicemail i get charged as i can leave a personal message for the person(call has been connected!)! if i get call catcher and my number is not witheld i am charged which is wrong(call has not been connected) and if my number is private i get charged even more as i am given the option to input my number so the number i rang will get a text saying i rang(again call has not been connected)

the way meteor set this up is wrong as people will be charged depending on what set-up is on the other parties phone
    it is same principle as if you ring a meteor number that is roaming in another country you cannot be charged roaming rates as you do not know that the other person is out of the country!

you should check it out yourself as it makes perfect sense that i cant be charged for a service that someone else may or may not have on their phone!

Once your call is connected you'll be charged this is the same on all networks weather you leave a voice mail or not the most annoying being vodafone because of the min connection fee of 3c if you ring someone and get there voicemail and hang up straight away you get charged 3c connection fee regardless.

What is the number to divert calls to call catcher? and by pass voicemail.

apollodjs wrote: »
    Once your call is connected you'll be charged this is the same on all networks weather you leave a voice mail or not the most annoying being vodafone because of the min connection fee of 3c if you ring someone and get there voicemail and hang up straight away you get charged 3c connection fee regardless.

but call catchar is NOT voicemail as you CANT leave any message so should not be charged! i agree it is a good idea to have this type of service but to be charged when i have no control over whether it is on or off is not legal and just wrong

but call catchar is NOT voicemail as you CANT leave any message so should not be charged! i agree it is a good idea to have this type of service but to be charged when i have no control over whether it is on or off is not legal and just wrong

You have no control over voicemail being on or off either dude if you get call catcher at least it sends a text to the person, your call is connected you hang up a text is sent the person knows you called. I think this is great you’re only connected for a second or two so what’s the cost 1c, 2c and saves you having to leave a voice mail which will cost you more by the time you listen to all the crap and get the beep.

Most people that get connected to voice mail don’t even leave a message they just hang up and get charged for this also at least with meteor if call catcher is switched on a free text will be sent for there efforts.

read what i posted again cos i have never had call catcher! if i ring and get engaged tone - no charge! if i get "call cant be connected - no charge! out of coverage etc - no charge! if i get voicemail i get charged as i can leave a personal message for the person(call has been connected!)! if i get call catcher and my number is not witheld i am charged which is wrong(call has not been connected) and if my number is private i get charged even more as i am given the option to input my number so the number i rang will get a text saying i rang(again call has not been connected)

the way meteor set this up is wrong as people will be charged depending on what set-up is on the other parties phone
    it is same principle as if you ring a meteor number that is roaming in another country you cannot be charged roaming rates as you do not know that the other person is out of the country!

you should check it out yourself as it makes perfect sense that i cant be charged for a service that someone else may or may not have on their phone!

It doesn't matter that you don't have call catcher. It matters that the person you call does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Look, foggy_lad, if you get through to voicemail you leave a voice message and are charged from the point it picks up,not from the beep

if you get call catcher you leave a text message instead of a voice message. The only difference is the format of the message left so why should you be charged for one and not the other?

why should i be charged for a call that has not been connected but diverted to this call-catcher which prevents me leaving any message(text/voice)!? when i can leave a message on voicemail at least! the problem is that i am being charged for a service which someone else decides to use!

• Advertisement

Then hang up when it diverts. Christ, you can't be that dumb. You can leave a message. When you ge the Call Catcher message, it asks you to type in a number and sends a text to that person.

Advertisement