Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gps counter tracker

Options
  • 11-10-2007 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

has anyone any experience of these devices ? i m thinking of getting one but its from the usa and i m just wondering will it work here ie are the frequiencies the same for the gps system and the european one any feedback would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

The gps system that is used is american based set up by the us army years ago. The european one is still in development. Are you worried that people might be following you. why do you need to disrupt a gps signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

work are putting them in !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Do some homework, it's really not hard to find the answer:
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gps.htm

relax ! i did actually i just wanted to know did anyone have any experience of these things good or bad:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sorry, didn't mean the sarky response. This comes up (on the GPS forum and elsewhere) very often.. The real answer, is that data is sent from 24 satellites orbiting 20 thousand kilometers above earth. So the data we receive in our satellite receivers comes from the same set of satellites, whether you're in Ireland, Spain, USA, Africa or the steppes of Russia (the only thing that differs is which of the 24 satellites you will be connected to, at any one time).

The most important thing about buying a GPS receiver, is if you expect to use mapping on the unit (e.g. for driving) that you need to make sure that it has the maps for the area in which you intent to use it, as buying additional maps can be quite expensive, and occasionally, some devices may not support adding/changing maps.

Also, as flankerb alluded, Europe is setting up its own system of satellites to provide GPS data, however, this will be a long time coming, and will not have any impact on the data you are currently receiving from the US military satellites.

Any other questions are probably better answered on the GPS forum. Good luck!

• Advertisement

cheers thank you !

Advertisement