Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche Boxster 2.7

Options
  • 11-10-2007 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

Having a look about, it seems i can get one of these from the uk 01/02 low mileage for circa 30k, i always said id have a porsche before i was 30 (27 last month!) so this could be my next car, ill be in the market next feb/march.

has anyone looked into buying one and could pass on any tips? i hear the 2.7 is more reliable than the 2,5 it replaced, and i imagine at 217 bhp its plenty quick in a roadster?

any one any input :)

oh also where would you get a porsche serviced in ireland without getting your pants pulled down?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

go for the S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

Have a look at www.boxa.net for things to watch out for on buying. For services I'd go up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

dont think its worth the extra 3k in vrt plus associated ins etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If you're going to get a Porsche, get a proper one.

Boxster is a girls Porsche.

nipplenuts wrote: »

You are entitled to your opinion but i think thats utter nonsense, i amnt looking for support, just advice etc, i like them :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Go for the S if you can. A good place for servicing would be John Keaneys in Drumcondra. He's very good and deals almost exclusively in high-performance cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Regarding servicing, Ken Bolger is highly recommended - based just outside Celbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

a friend of mine bought one recently, he gets loads of abuse from random people. its funny, people just shout abuse at him for no reason other than they think hes a poser because hes young driving a porche. he wants rid of it now, but reckons it takes about six months to sell them, they sit on the market for ages... they are also completely impractical so if you do pick up a burd in legs you will need to ask her to leave he handbag behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Bluefoam wrote: »
    a friend of mine bought one recently, he gets loads of abuse from random people. its funny, people just shout abuse at him for no reason other than they think hes a poser because hes young driving a porsche.
    Good to know it's not just me!;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Just like a proper Porsche like a 911 is a poor mans lamborghini:p:rolleyes:

I wouldnt mind having a porsche, think ill wait till im 30 so i can get an old 911 classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I was looking at getting one before I got the M3 - there was a revision in and aroun 03 I think - the lights changed, rear screen changed to glass instead of plastic and a few other things as well. From reading up on the forums, there seemed to be issues with models built before then.

Personally I think its a much nicer looking car than the pre-996 911's. I decided against it because I didn't think I'd ever sleep for fear of the roof getting slashed. I also had a convertible before - and to confirm what was said above, random scrotes would hurl abuse for no reason, spit into the cabin etc.

The poor mans Porsche thing is utter crap though.

jesus is it that bad? im living over around blackrock and you see a lot of nice verts around the weekends and no evidence of a any of that carry on, also it would be securely parked etc and driven weekends mostly

ill do some more research :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

:o I don't mean it in an unkind way, but the Boxster has all the traction control and breaking assist doo-hickeys that you don't get on the older, full blooded ones. The Porsche experience is one of man and mechanicals - the feel of the road, the drifting cornering - power and simplicity.

Also, of course, there's a little jealousy in my post ;)

Cyrus wrote: »
    jesus is it that bad? im living over around blackrock and you see a lot of nice verts around the weekends and no evidence of a any of that carry on, also it would be securely parked etc and driven weekends mostly

ill do some more research :)
    It is that bad. I live in Monkstown.:)
    nipplenuts wrote: »
    :o I don't mean it in an unkind way, but the Boxster has all the traction control and breaking assist doo-hickeys that you don't get on the older, full blooded ones. The Porsche experience is one of man and mechanicals - the feel of the road, the drifting cornering - power and simplicity.
    100% correct, especially given that a certain 10-year-old Japanese saloon car will blow either of them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

And how would one go about taking the roof off on said 10-year old Japanese Saloon should one wish to? :confused: Don't think it's a relevant comparison to be honest...

Somebody who's interested in buying a 2-seater convertible sportscar may have a different set of priorities than someone who buys an Impreza/Evo. I've yet to have anything but positive comments and reaction to my own convertible but I do make a point of looking straight ahead at all times! It's fair to say that there are certain places I wouldn't be overly comfortable leaving the roof down though.

To bring this discussion back on-topic, I'd definitely try to stretch for the S as per earlier posts. If you're going to get one, you might as well get the best one you can (if you can afford it). I understand your concerns re: extra expense but I'd rather have a 2001 S than a 2002 2.7.

Just my 2c.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Good to know it's not just me!;)

do you have a boxster anan?

any pics

i would have though the good people of south county dublin would look down on an old boxster not be jealous of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I go past this place regularly and they've had this 1999 2.5 for sale for a good while. I think the colour might be off-putting for many but it's a lovely car and there'd be plenty of scope for haggling.

http://www.richarddorriancars.com/advsearchresults.asp?ActionType=1&Make=&Model=&Engine=&Fuel=&GearBox=&Body=&min_pr=&max_pr=&Year=&offset=1

er it has nice wheels

colour is not nice tho and mileage is high!

do you have a boxster anan?

any pics
    No, but I just bought a 1986 911 Cabriolet. I would have thought a Boxster would incite even more comments from passers-by!
    And how would one go about taking the roof off on said 10-year old Japanese Saloon should one wish to? :confused: Don't think it's a relevant comparison to be honest...

Somebody who's interested in buying a 2-seater convertible sportscar may have a different set of priorities than someone who buys an Impreza/Evo.
    Eh, I think you're missing my point. That's why i'd prefer an older 911 to a Boxster.;)

what kinda comments do you get :D

jesus whats wrong with people

the crazy thing is, a 01/02 boxster costs less than a new specced up mundano or laguna thingy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

jesus is it that bad? im living over around blackrock and you see a lot of nice verts around the weekends and no evidence of a any of that carry on
    I don't think it is that bad. I live in Swords and had the Z3 from Jan-August this year and had the the top down a lot (ie. if it wasn't raining). Never had anything but positive comments, from people of all ages.
    I drove a 2.7 Boxster when looking for a convertible but couldn't stretch to it in the end and did really want the S, but the 2.7 is still a lovely motor.

Saying that, now I've had a 2 seater convertible, I'm not sure I could cope with the (crushing) impracticality again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Gatster wrote: »
    I don't think it is that bad. I live in Swords and had the Z3 from Jan-August this year and had the the top down a lot (ie. if it wasn't raining).

I didn't know you were that way inclined :D

what kinda comments do you get :D

jesus whats wrong with people

the crazy thing is, a 01/02 boxster costs less than a new specced up mundano or laguna thingy!
    For example, last week in Donnybrook I got "Yeah baby, it's the weekend!" in an Austin Powers voice from a bunch of lads in a Punto. I have to say, I laughed too. (As did anyone else within earshot...) Later that same day though, I had a taxi driver running over looking for a go because I beeped at him when he pulled out in front of me. People are strange.

Gatster wrote: »
    Saying that, now I've had a 2 seater convertible, I'm not sure I could cope with the (crushing) impracticality again :rolleyes:
    I was quite amazed to find that the rear seats in my car are actually usable. It's not quite as roomy as, say, an old Mini but still.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

It is that bad. I live in Monkstown.:)

I live in Blackrock, actually between Blackrock and Monkstown. Couple of neighbours and a few friends who live in the area have convertables and have never had any trouble. Maybe your neighbours don't like you Anan1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

For example, last week in Donnybrook I got "Yeah baby, it's the weekend!" in an Austin Powers voice from a bunch of lads in a Punto. I have to say, I laughed too. (As did anyone else within earshot...) Later that same day though, I had a taxi driver running over looking for a go because I beeped at him when he pulled out in front of me. People are strange.

What???????????? A taxi driver looking for a go because you beeped at him when he "suprisingly" did something wrong... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Originally Posted by R.O.R
    I didn't know you were that way inclined :D
    LOL :D But now I leave the Impreza to stalk the locality, raping other cars and stealing their petrol, it's that hard.
    Originally Posted by Anan1
    I was quite amazed to find that the rear seats in my car are actually usable
    That's the problem really, I'm keen for throwing things on the back seat, and no back seats makes this kinda difficult, even a space would be nice - this was probably the biggest pain in the arse, it would have been fine if I had a 'normal' car as well, but I really think strict 2 seater convertibles are now a 'nice to have'.

So what you're saying is I should buy a 911 if I want some practicality with my sports cars...Shame that, ah go on then, you've twisted my arm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

Apologies Anan - reading threads properly is usually wise before posting. If I keep repeating it to myself, it'll eventually sink in!!! ;)

I do think that there's a big difference in people's reactions to a Porsche in comparison to other cars. Goes with the territory I suppose. Wouldn't stop me from getting one though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I certainly would consider it - even the 2.5 would feel fast enough depending on what your coming from.
    I also found the inside to be very plasticy.

As for driving a convertible -

When I had the roof down - I have been flashed, waved at, shouted at, and spat at. Nothing serious and it certainly wouldn't stop me ( I am not the type to cry off because someone shouted mean things at me )

I cycle to work some times and have had a brick thrown at me in cabra - so what come at me in the is mild!

• Advertisement

im currently driving a bmw 530i sport (circa 230bhp) however id imagine a smaller lighter car with 217bhp will feel a lot quicker

im currently deciding between e 46 330ci or vert, nissan 350z, boxster, audi a3 3.2v6 or 2.0tfsi, mkv golf gti and alfa gt v6

so a diverse bunch there! im not fussed really whether its 2 or 5 doors, saloon, coop or convertible, just that it looks good to me and packs a minimum of 200bhp, oh and sounds good on the move too, i love bmws 6cyl

Advertisement