Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche Boxster 2.7

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Linford wrote: »
    I live in Blackrock, actually between Blackrock and Monkstown. Couple of neighbours and a few friends who live in the area have convertables and have never had any trouble. Maybe your neighbours don't like you Anan1 :D
    You're not too far from me. I've driven a convertible around Blackrock for years (albeit the classic type) and have never had any negative experience whatsoever. The only thing I'd ask is do you have a garage or driveway? I don't but I'm off the beaten track. You just don't want your car parked in a street that sees loads of drunks passing it on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Cyrus wrote: »
    im currently driving a bmw 530i sport (circa 230bhp) however id imagine a smaller lighter car with 217bhp will feel a lot quicker

im currently deciding between e 46 330ci or vert, nissan 350z, boxster, audi a3 3.2v6 or 2.0tfsi, mkv golf gti and alfa gt v6

so a diverse bunch there! im not fussed really whether its 2 or 5 doors, saloon, coop or convertible, just that it looks good to me and packs a minimum of 200bhp, oh and sounds good on the move too, i love bmws 6cyl

I think the 350z will win the sound wars tbh - but the boxster would be the most saleable of this group

min 200bhp is a bit silly - power to weight ratio is a better measure ( as you eluded to yourself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Zascar wrote: »
    go for the S

The S2000 I presume you mean :)

By the way - I usually get nothing but compliments for the S2000, even when I was living in Glasgow driving it around Maryhill (rough) area there were no problems.

As regards the roof - Try and get a hardtop with it.

However over on the S2000 Uk forums, there are a few guys who have gone from the S to the boxster and reported more hassle in the porchse than the Honda on the road. I presume the badge has a lot to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I think the 350z will win the sound wars tbh - but the boxster would be the most saleable of this group

min 200bhp is a bit silly - power to weight ratio is a better measure ( as you eluded to yourself)

indeed thats right, an elise would probably be quicker than all of the above, you get my gist tho

i do hanker after an alfa v6 tho :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Cyrus wrote: »
    indeed thats right, an elise would probably be quicker than all of the above, you get my gist tho

i do hanker after an alfa v6 tho :D

I hear you, but in all honesty I think you'll be disappointed ( I hate to say )

you might be better off buying a old GTV6

sorry - very off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah I've owned a drop top for about 6 years now, never had anything negative, though like The Athiest mine is of the classic variety, maybe that makes a difference !

I would definitely recommend the Boxter, I know a good few folk who have/have had them, and the sound of that flat six makes up for any shortcomings in the performance. I've only driven the "S" so I dont know how the 2.5 feels but I would base my purchase on spec, condition and history before performance !

I think the "S" refered to wasn't S2000 but Boxter "S". TBH the Honda will be faster but its not in the same league in any other department and I think the sound of the falt 6 wins over any other engine configuration !

Dont foget the old saying "You only regret the things in life you DON'T do"........or words to that effect !

Not sure I'd bother going to the UK though, there are plenty on offer over here, look at Carzone, and you should therefore be better able tro examine the history, previous owners etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

look at the price of them here versus the uk, thats the reason they arent shifting, i can get a better spec lower mileage model home and vrtd for 5-7k cheaper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

That may be the way it looks, but when you factor in dealer discount off the Irish cars and ADD the cost of flights/ferries and also the ability for the VRT people to increase their estimate after you've done the deal.............the savings arent as huge !

Also you may have more peace of mind buying a car with a warranty that you can actually use !!

JMHO !

Good luck either way !

MercMad wrote: »
    I think the "S" refered to wasn't S2000 but Boxter "S". TBH the Honda will be faster but its not in the same league in any other department and I think the sound of the falt 6 wins over any other engine configuration !

i know its the Boxster S. Just giving he S a honourable mention.

Oh and its roof is faster - so I guess thats two things better and it looks different from the back - thats three - and its cheap to service - thats four - and it more reliable - thats five - and its far cheaper - thats six - and it has a far better transmission - thats seven

Not as one sided and you might believe

That said I'd love to own the porsche, mate bought an '01 Boxster S and its a nice looking machine, just coulldn't justify the price to be honest

• Advertisement

MercMad wrote: »
    That may be the way it looks, but when you factor in dealer discount off the Irish cars and ADD the cost of flights/ferries and also the ability for the VRT people to increase their estimate after you've done the deal.............the savings arent as huge !

Also you may have more peace of mind buying a car with a warranty that you can actually use !!

JMHO !

Good luck either way !

Off topic - but does anyone know any third party company that offers warrantees on cars that are out of manufacturers warantees. Something like www.warrantydirect.co.uk

Advertisement