Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First year books,

• 11-10-2007 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭

Have to buy two first year books, maths and geography
    they are pretty expensive €200 for both (the geo book might be a pack rather than a book)
    any people who took either class but no longer needs looking to sell?

Not sure of the name of the geo book, the maths is "Thomas' Calcalus"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nothing

You don't need to buy Thomas Calculus, there are lots of copies in the library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The problem with the library can be that for most of the year the books sit there weighing down the shelf yet come exam time copies are like gold dust. They've either been borrowed or hidden around other parts of the library by some sneaky bastid!

You could check ebay for a used copy OP. Failing that, the Thomas Calculas is available on Amazon.com for $130...not sure what the delivery charge would be...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

hey a good few notices have gone up in the arts building,and hume with geography books for sale....thomas' calculas is really hard to get - heard the book shop is getting ones in on monday. Library has none left , there all out on loan -

Actually it's very rare that all the Thomas Calculus books get taken out. Best bet is to photocopy bits and pieces as you need them. But honestly, with the maths department, the lecture notes are more than sufficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

The lectures I had in maths were terrible! I always found lecture notes the biggest waste of time ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 sandee

thomas calculus is a waste of money, don't buy it. google "mathscentre" there ya should find excellent notes... well that was the case two years ago. I never used the book once. anyone need a reece and campbell biology book ( 7th ed)..? and lab coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

It's hard to do assignments made up of questions from thomas's calculus when you don't have thomas's calculus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Also in MT101s & IMO the class is a joke. 300 students in a lecture theater too small. The professor is pi$$ed off after being demoted from head of the department.

Last year I had two maths modules and we didnt have a text book and I managed to get 50 & 60 odd % in them.

Like FFS we can lose 20% in our assignments for

wait for it

not having FULLSTOPS. I mean WTF, Like I can understand the 6 questions and only one will be marked but the fullstops is taking the pi$$.
    mp3guy wrote: »
    It's hard to do assignments made up of questions from thomas's calculus when you don't have thomas's calculus
    Ah you can get the book off the internet* like a few lads in my class have done.

* = *cough*torrent

eamoss wrote: »
    Also in MT101s & IMO the class is a joke. 300 students in a lecture theater too small. The professor is pi$$ed off after being demoted from head of the department.

Last year I had two maths modules and we didnt have a text book and I managed to get 50 & 60 odd % in them.

Like FFS we can lose 20% in our assignments for

wait for it

not having FULLSTOPS. I mean WTF, Like I can understand the 6 questions and only one will be marked but the fullstops is taking the pi$$.

Ah you can get the book off the internet* like a few lads in my class have done.

* = *cough*torrent
    Um, professor annoyed for being demoted? The current head of dept has been so for many years....

Depending on the course, if you don't present your work in an understandable manner, then why shouldn't marks be taken? Though fullstops is a little extreme.

Put up a notice around the Maths dept or Arts block and you'll get a second hand copy np.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I heard it was 10%. I do think the random question mark basis is a bit out there, really not fair. MT111S seems ALOT more sane.

• Advertisement

Well ok I have heard that he was like this last year when he was still head but this is my 1st time having him.
    mp3guy wrote: »
    I heard it was 10%. I do think the random question mark basis is a bit out there, really not fair. MT111S seems ALOT more sane.
    10% if you are missing just one or two but if you have no fullstops wat so ever its 20%. True a bit too much work. I got 5% in the first assignment because I only did 4 out of the 6 questions but the one that was marked I didnt do, Yeah I know im lazy :o

Im not doing MT111 because I did MT159 & MT158 last year which both cover MT111.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Have to laugh at some of the rubbish on here. Tony O'Farrell is the lecturer of MT101s and he stepped down as Head of the Maths Department. He wasn't demoted. As for the full stops part, well, as a tutor in the Maths Dept. I couldn't possibly comment on something as ridiculous as that :p

As for Thomas' Calculus, buy an old edition. The one I have (green cover, possibly 9th ed.) is great. Still use it all the time for Maths related thing. Also great for swatting flies and crushing small animals that threaten you :D

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Have to laugh at some of the rubbish on here. Tony O'Farrell is the lecturer of MT101s and he stepped down as Head of the Maths Department. He wasn't demoted.

I apologize on saying he was demoted. :o

Tony?

Is is not *dirty dublin accent* ANTO???

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Tony O'Farrell is the lecturer of MT101s and he stepped down as Head of the Maths Department. He wasn't demoted. As for the full stops part, well, as a tutor in the Maths Dept. I couldn't possibly comment on something as ridiculous as that :p

I have a lot of time for the Prof! At one time he was Professor of both the Maths Department and fledgling Computer Science department* as well as having responsibility for lecture timetabling each year! Not only that but the guy is a great human being too :)

*back in the days when Windows 3.1 was considered an amazing step forward and Ireland didn't even have one single internet site and wouldn't have for almost another 5 years!

He's also a genius :D Stepped down to concentrate on teaching more. Stick with him guys, he's fascinating in a way. The full stop thing is ridiculous though. But who the hell goes to college and can't use fullstops? We need to weed these people out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

thread back on topis please

Mellor wrote: »
    thread back on topis please

:confused:

Lots of advice on what to do in there. What more do you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ok so you all mention the maths book, thanks have that sorted now what about the Geography, book shop out of it and dont know when they are getting it back in, Any copies floating around 2nd hand, haven't seen any notices up.

Mellor wrote: »
    ok so you all mention the maths book, thanks have that sorted now what about the Geography, book shop out of it and dont know when they are getting it back in, Any copies floating around 2nd hand, haven't seen any notices up.

1) Hey, why not ask the bookshop when they are getting it in again?
    2) Have you put any notices up looking for one?

You can ask the bookshop to order it for you, should only take a week or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Hmm, if anyone's trying to get rid of some anthro books, or sociology, giz a shout.

Advertisement