Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB36 wood lathe

Options
  • 11-10-2007 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Howzat eh:

I'm looking to buy a VB36 lathe and was wondering if anyone had any reservations about this machine. Judging from the response from Hegner, they don't have many registered user in ireland. Views, opinions, thoughts etal will/are appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tullow Crank

Hi, the VB36 is not a lathe for a beginner , you are talking large amounts of cash for a S/H one anything from 3/5000 euro .Top class machine but not for moving around much .

If I were in your position and wanted a powerful lathe I would think along the lines of a Vicmarc or the Jet 3540 ?? not sure of this it could be 3580 . good luck in your search .

Sorry just seen your post date . You probably have a workshop full of lathes by now

• Registered Users Posts: 18 moosetrax

Sorry just seen your post date . You probably have a workshop full of lathes by now

Yes I do and I'm looking to replace my record cl4 with something a little more robust for spindle work. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I got myself a VB36 for bowls and face turning.

As far as i can make out most of the turners are committed to either one of the Jets ,the Maxi ,or Vicmarc . Again they are all in the 2000/ 5ooo euro range their is not much good S/H lathes around at the moment .
    I am not sure if it is a hobby for you,but I get the feeling its not so a good lathe is needed.I haven't been involved for a few yrs. now but I try to keep up with whats happening ,old age and health is a curse .
    Are you a member of Woodturners Guild ? Most of the people turning now are very helpful and will offer more up to date than I can ,what area are you in if you don't mind me asking . I wish you well in your search ,and good luck .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 moosetrax

You're right it's not only a hobby and a good machine is definitely required. Strong and robust being the mainstays in the requirement department. Old age is most definitely a curse, but that being said so is a life well led. I'm along the Carlow-Wicklow border. I wouldn't go near a record again, ever. If I didn't have a bowl lathe I'd look at the vimarc but the one I have is more than adequate. I might have a look at the Jet 1642.

Advertisement