Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fecked over by other students!!!

• 11-10-2007 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

not film but tv studys its almost the same;)

anyway last year i helped out a few of my mates that neded help on a shoot of a mockumentry that they had thought up.. i did a bit of camera and sound for them i also was the only one with a car. it was basicly a demo and the story wasent great it was thought up on the day. it turned out ok and now want to turn it into a pilot to hand around.

ive been in contact with them sence the last shot and sort of been involved with it.
    as they want it more profesional they have got a biger crew, the area im good in is camera and sound, i thought id be geting one of these jobs on the pilot show. they have asked in a few other people and gave them all the camera and sound jobs and im now a PA and loking after lights. last i checked a PA is a fancy name for a runner and its a mockumentry and is mostly shot outside so no lights to be worryed about..

now im pised off they have given jobs that im good at to new people who dident put money and time off work into there demo. the only reason i can think of them keping me is because of my car witch im not geting expensives for...... what would you do? where you pissed on when you were in colege?

ive talked to a few friends who say i shouldent do it as even if they do get comissioned they wont even give me a decent job. and il be out of a lot of money with petrol costs a week driving around and time of work cost up...

(so wow that was a big rant sorry)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Sounds like sour grapes to me. You can't really expect them to give you a job just because you really really want it, can you? Even if you did help them out in the past, to be honest.

By the sound of things it's their project and they want to make the most of it. It's not necessarily anything against you personaly, I would think, if they decide to go with a crew who have proven themselves over a student with an interest.

Get over it, go out with somebody else. [/Waynes World]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

If you're not getting out of it, don't do it. There's no reason to be out of pocket and time with no return. Are they classmates? What are your qualifications and are they any different to the new guys?

Do it amicably, nothing worse than hurting friendships with business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

By the sounds of it, it comes down to what the other people are providing that you are not?

Usually this is either experiance or equipment. If the new people have either of those, then you havnt really been shafted.

On the PA/lights issue. I assume if its a mockumentary, then there will be interviews (and if there isnt, then it looks to be a dull mockumentary) I assume those will be needed to be lit, at least ask to see a copy of the treatment or something before commiting so you can see if you will be doing anything other then PA.

Which yes, owning a drivers licence is a big PA +1 point. Cant get a job as a PA without a driver's licence because that is half their job, driving equipment/people/food to and from the locations.

The question you need to ask is if you PA for these people would you be able to squeeze a new opportunity out of this. Maybe one of the new people has a upcoming project planned. Bigger crew means more oppurtunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭afatbollix

the director and producer are now doing camera.. they said they were going to get a professional crew and now do this! its become a bit of a joke to be honest. they want me to sit behind them and look at there monaters to see if they are allright.. but i wouldent be able to say anything as im not the director.... the other lads that are doing sound ya id give him that job as its not what im good at, but they have asked a new person to do camera witch I have to say is my strong point..

Ive just got a gig doing lights on a RTE live show for the week before so might just do that....

If the director is manning the camera and someone else is looking at the monitor then he's an idiot.

If you have the manpower that someone else can man the camera and the director can step back and look at the scene's visual structure...then you damn well do it.

I'm pretty sure most directors in here would agree that films were you have little man power and end up doing both camera and direction tend to be weaker then the films were you have someone else to man the camera. You spot more errors you can composite the shot better and you can focus on what is on the image and not on whats around you as the cameraman.

Just my opinion, but yes it does sound like a bit of a joke, the RTE one will be more benefitial, experiance and connections, i doubt you'd get much of either from the other shoot, apart from some tips from the sound guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well Tarantino said, at the Death Proof preview, to never watch a scene through a monitor, always be behind the camera :D

But I don't see what the problem is. It's still an important job to be watching the monitor. The director wants the OP to make sure the shots look good. The director may be focusing on something and not notice major problems, so having a backup is a damned good idea in my book.

Meh to tarintino

Fincher does all his work from the monitor

Just from personal experiance I find that if I am manning the camera and directing at the same time, I miss mistakes because I have to split my concentration between camera control and directing the scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭afatbollix

ya blitzkrieg i would be the same... illl just have to wait and see.......

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Meh to tarintino

Fincher does all his work from the monitor

Just from personal experiance I find that if I am manning the camera and directing at the same time, I miss mistakes because I have to split my concentration between camera control and directing the scene.
    Hence having the OP maning the monitor :)

Then that would make the OP the director? :)

• Advertisement

Woohoo, a promotion! :D See OP? It's better than you thought

Advertisement