Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dsl 2

Options
  • 11-10-2007 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

I heard a rumour that Eircom are on the verge of releasing DSL 2 this November in which the 24 mb/second will be the basic package. I also heard that Esat BT will follow suit. Anyone know or hear anything else about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Binomate wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that Eircom are on the verge of releasing DSL 2 this November in which the 24 mb/second will be the basic package. I also heard that Esat BT will follow suit. Anyone know or hear anything else about this?

Ah ho ho ho ho he he he hahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Ah ho ho ho ho he he he hahaha.

:) What he said!! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I wish that rumour was true but i very much doubt it, we mite see 24meg dsl in about 20 years time based on eircoms progression over the past few years. At this stage i'd be happy to be upgraded to 5mb from 3mb but even an upgrade as small as that cud be a year or 2 away, by then all other countries will be beyond 24meg dsl I'd imagine and we'll still be stuck on 1meg to 5meg:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

where did you hear about this? i hope its true :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Dublin only and 20gig Limit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I actually heard it from a data communications lecturer today who heard it somewhere. Gave the claim enough credibility to investigate further. I did come over some old eircom press releases which claimed that the the broadband infrastructure would be greatly improved by November to December 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think spongebob posted something about this on the IOFFL forum recently. Naturally quite skeptic but it is only a matter of time before this do roll this out. I am assuming the cost of the equipment has come down to a level whereby they can actually turn a profit soon enough after an exchange upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I am using ADSL2+ here in Germany at 16Mb/sec - actual download speed 1.3MB/sec. It will a while before the same thing is available in Ireland me thinks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I heard a rumour
    Ho Ho Ho Rudolf , now pull that sleigh!.

1. VDSL2 will be rolled out in the big cities sometime in the next 2 years .
    2. The rest of the country will get the slower ADSL2 sometime in the next 2 years.
    3. Naturally, the speeds in the big cities with VDSL2 will pull away from the speeds in the rest of the country, over time during the next decade post 2010 that is.
    4. I surmise that 8mbits will be the basic package at some stage in the next 2 years and that 24mbits will come later ....or maybe sooner in the big cities.

Ho Ho Ho! , please read my sig !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dontech

Its all very well having 24 mb speeds, however there are a few things about adsl2 that you should know

1. It is not likely to be a 24mb steady connection. It will be an "up to 24 mb" connection which means that around 60% of people getting it will not get anywhere near that speed. All about the fine print.
    2. The sensitivity of an up to 24 mb connection is crazy and the signal-to- noise ratio will plummet on the line if you are more than 500-700 meters away from the exchange. So given that there are a good couple of hundred of meters of cabling for your line in the exchange before it hits the streets, this is going to be a major factor. Even people in cities can have a terrible connection.
    3. Any company that wants to upgrade to adsl2 must change out the dslam racks on the exchange which is a fairly major thing to do. Eircom are the kings of dragging old tech on too long. In the big scheme of things dsl is now old.

Eircom should take a note from BT in england and roll out fibre-to-the home technology and stop pushing the dsl technology. A little foresight would go a long way. Nuff said.

Dontech wrote: »
    2. The sensitivity of an up to 24 mb connection is crazy and the signal-to- noise ratio will plummet on the line if you are more than 500-700 meters away from the exchange.
    It is faster than what we have up to about 1 mile. Thereafter its the same .
    Any company that wants to upgrade to adsl2 must change out the dslam racks on the exchange which is a fairly major thing to do. Eircom are the kings of dragging old tech on too long. In the big scheme of things dsl is now old.
    Actually its a firmware upgrade on most of their Alcatel gear, very few new cards required.
    Eircom should take a note from BT in england and roll out fibre-to-the home technology and stop pushing the dsl technology. A little foresight would go a long way. Nuff said.
    Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho !

<splutter> read my sig .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dirt Diver

Its not a rumour, im on the ADSL 2 trial, I currently have a stable 20MB connection. Its class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

:eek: Get onto them and tell them it's working brilliantly AND that they need to get the finger out and roll it out completely for the rest of us!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A speed increase is well over due anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Dontech wrote: »

I thought eircom were going to deploy some fiber around the country to narrow the distance gap. Making it a benefit those living farther from the exchange.

Ho! Ho! Ho! Uncle Sam , the NGN core fibre is only between the 5 big cities , nothing has been rolled out beyond that save some bits IN the 5 big cities !

Ho! Ho! Ho!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Fiber to the curb! Will it ever happen in our life time?
    Are they at least talking about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tonton-bob

Dirt Diver wrote: »
    Its not a rumour, im on the ADSL 2 trial, I currently have a stable 20MB connection. Its class

What's the cap ? :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if eircom are already testing adsl 2 then maybe it might come out to the rest of us over the next 12 months? Even if it does happen im 2.5km from my exchange so im not sure i'll get much faster than my current 3meg coz of the distance but at this stage i'd welcome any small amount of an increase in speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

sure my line can only handle 17Mbps on ADSL2, whats the point in paying for a 20meg connection if you cant fulfill it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I would think that poster who mentioned he was on an adsl2 trial is likely a troll, with a post count of two and a name like "dirt_diver". I would believe the knowledgeable Mister sponge over anyone else but, I honestly wouldn't hold my breath for said products unless another company brings out a product that gives eircom a scare, at the moment they just have no reason to pull the finger out.

its quite possibe he is on trial :)

fast dsl was/is trialled in south dublin in around ballyboden or knocklyon and wimax was/is in athlone .

But a trial is not a rollout , we had adsl trials in Dublin in the 1990s and still have no ADSL in most rural areas to this very day:(

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    its quite possibe he is on trial :)

fast dsl was/is trialled in south dublin in around ballyboden or knocklyon and wimax was/is in athlone .

But a trial is not a rollout , we had adsl trials in Dublin in the 1990s and still have no ADSL in most rural areas to this very day:(
    Aye, I was lucky enough to get an ADSL trial as early as 1997, had it for yonks.

ADSL2 trials today don't mean anyone is getting ADSL2 soon, there have been active ADSL2 trials for nearly two years now to the best of my recollection.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dhaumi

Yeah, trials in Ireland can take ages (e.g Digital Terrestrial Television). By the time, DSL2 is deployed all across the country, the fiber technology will be all around Europe.
    + those like who don't live in the Dublin area will have to be very patient.

its annoying that they have to spend so long testing adsl2, it works grand in every other country and im sure it works grand in the very few lucky exchanges here that have it so why the months on end of testing. Im hoping we see some sort of an announcement soon and a speed upgrade in January/February. We're 2 years overdue any sort of an upgrade at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Gonzo wrote: »
    its annoying that they have to spend so long testing adsl2, it works grand in every other country and im sure it works grand in the very few lucky exchanges here that have it so why the months on end of testing. Im hoping we see some sort of an announcement soon and a speed upgrade in January/February. We're 2 years overdue any sort of an upgrade at this stage.

Its beyond a joke really....

A work mate of mine went back to Romania on holidays last month and I gave him a list of a few high def films to download for me(Matrix Triolgy,Spiderman 3,The Prestige :D

He has a 20mb download and 2mb upload connection at home in Bacau for less than what we pay for a 1mb connection....He said it took him about an hour and a half to download a 6.55gb blue ray rip of spiderman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Gonzo wrote: »
    if eircom are already testing adsl 2 then maybe it might come out to the rest of us over the next 12 months? Even if it does happen im 2.5km from my exchange so im not sure i'll get much faster than my current 3meg coz of the distance but at this stage i'd welcome any small amount of an increase in speed.

IIRC, they were testing DSL is 98 or 99??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Late 98 I think. I in 4th year in the evening BSc in Trinity at the time, one of our comms. lecturers worked in Eircom, he was trialling an 8Mb connection IIRC. I remember being sickened - I could barely connect at 45kbs at the time!

• Advertisement

since eircom are only trialing adsl2 now and decide to spend a few years testing it to see if it 'works' the above posts makes me think it cud be years before they roll it out nationwide:( I hope im wrong.

Advertisement