Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant banging from upstairs

Options
  • 11-10-2007 10:13pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've new neighbours in the flat directly above me. As best as I can tell, they're 4 male students. My problem is that they're REALLY noisy. One practices his guitar night and day with his amp cranked up full, they play their music really loudly and it sounds like they're constantly moving furniture or jumping around. My flat literally shakes, like it's been hit by a light earthquake. This can last from 5 minutes to an hour.

As I'm a student too, I've been cutting them some slack, but it's a really old building and I'm genuinely afraid the floors will fall through! I don't want to confront them directly, as they'll dismiss me as a loser or whatever. What's the best way to deal with this? The flat above them is surely affected by the noise too. Should I pop an anonymous letter under their door? Or would I be better off just ignoring it?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Complain to their landlord- as you own your own apartment and are not just another tenant he/she is a lot more likely to do something about it.

On the bright side- its highly unlikely that the floors will collapse or anything, though it is annoying as hell.

Ultimately the upstairs apartment is simply unsuitable for the 4 guys up there- they sound like they need a garage or something to practice in......

S.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cheers! I believe their flat is managed by a Letting Agency - should I just send a letter to them? It's less effective than if it were owned by an individual.

Faith wrote:
    Cheers! I believe their flat is managed by a Letting Agency - should I just send a letter to them? It's less effective than if it were owned by an individual.

It might be more worthwhile to spend an hour finding out who exactly the owner is- and going directly to him/her. I'm not sure where property deeds are lodged in Edinburgh- or what examining them would entail, I'll look into it. Letting agencies are a very convenient screen for people to hide behind......

One way or the other- I really think that the apartment is not what they need, and irrespective of what the landlord does tell them, that they will end up having to move (I've been there done that!)

Bet you wish you were still in California! :(

smccarrick wrote: »
    Bet you wish you were still in California! :(

Like you wouldn't believe! At least we were the ones getting the noise complaints there!

Which was actually handy because the noise annoyed me there too, and the police showing up at your door is a great way to get rowdy housemates to calm down...

I'll ring the letting company tomorrow and inquire, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Is the apartment block not managed by an agent? Would it be a waste of time complaining to him/her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Faith wrote: »
    Like you wouldn't believe! At least we were the ones getting the noise complaints there!
    **cough** The ironing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Did somebody say you were in Edinburgh? If so, well the County Council will sort it. My sister had the same problem basically noise all day. What she did was get on to the Council and they measure the noise and give warnings etc.

connundrum wrote: »
    Is the apartment block not managed by an agent? Would it be a waste of time complaining to him/her?

Nope, there's no agent. Pah, we laugh in the face of such luxuries over here!
    aphex™ wrote: »
    Did somebody say you were in Edinburgh? If so, well the County Council will sort it. My sister had the same problem basically noise all day. What she did was get on to the Council and they measure the noise and give warnings etc.

I'll do that if the worst comes to the worst. Right now, it's mainly music and floor banging, the latter of which the council can't do much about.

I think I'm going to get my flatmate for support and head up there on Monday and ask them to keep it down first. At least then they've fair warning if I need to complain to their landlord!

And you'd never know, maybe one of them's good looking. Or maybe they'll do DIY things for me...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Karmas a bítch.

Faith wrote:
    And you'd never know, maybe one of them's good looking. Or maybe they'll do DIY things for me...

Lol..... Go for it, but get your priorities in order :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do they have wooden floors? Wooden floors in an apartment are never a good idea for the people below.

I don't know, but I'm thinking that they must. I was worken up twice last night by them walking on the floor above me. Not much that can be done if they do though.

Faith wrote:
    I don't know, but I'm thinking that they must. I was worken up twice last night by them walking on the floor above me. Not much that can be done if they do though.

Faith- get a copy of your lease (I assume its one of those 900 year lease jobbies) and look at the conditions in it. Normally there is something about floors having to be carpetted, no noise after 10PM, no pets etc. Thats what normally is the case in a shared building- a list of rules to try and make community living possible (and practicable) for everyone. I know people ignore them (I have my floor tiled and do happily stick on the washing machine going out the door to work in the morning)- but if someone complained, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Have a look in your lease and see what your rights and obligations and those of your neighbours are. If you can hear them walking around- at very least there should be carpetting/rugs on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I can sympathize. The back of my apartment is a very badly built extension and as a result I am tormented by my upstairs neighbours pacing around and what sounds like hauling furniture around.

I don't think its their fault as there is almost never the noise of a tv or radio and they don't seem to talk loudly enough - unfortunately we're the victims of poor building design and building. Of course the fact that they seem to get up at 5am is extremely annoying but not intending to stay here longer than another 7 months so can tolerate it. Besides few tenants stay that long anyway, a lot of people move around year on year.

It would be really nice, however, if they could sit still for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Advertisement