Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aden 1963 Parachute Regiment

Options
  • 11-10-2007 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

My Dads brother died in Aden in 1963(Maybe). They were only informed and never given any other details of where he was buried or anything like that. I would like to find this information if possible and hope to take my Dad there to see the grave if I can. I have no idea where to start or who to contact for these details, so I am looking for help please!!!!

Comments

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission http://www.cwgc.org/ would be a good place to start.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I don't think the CWGC will cover Aden, but they may be able to point you in the right direction. www.cwgc.org

I would also try the National Archives www.nationalarchives.gov.uk where you may be able to get his service record which is always interesting. You could also try the Parachute Regiment themselves who may still hold the records. You will probably need some proof that you are a relation before they release the records, but that is fairly straight forward.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

MW29 wrote: »
    My Dads brother died in Aden in 1963(Maybe). They were only informed and never given any other details of where he was buried or anything like that. I would like to find this information if possible and hope to take my Dad there to see the grave if I can. I have no idea where to start or who to contact for these details, so I am looking for help please!!!!

http://www.forcesmemorial.org.uk/roll-of-honour.asp

try that one.

The actual memorial is being unveiled today as it happens. Names 15, 500 British Servicemen and women who have died since WW2. Wonder how many more Irish people are on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Mick86 wrote: »
    http://www.forcesmemorial.org.uk/roll-of-honour.asp

try that one.

The actual memorial is being unveiled today as it happens. Names 15, 500 British Servicemen and women who have died since WW2. Wonder how many more Irish people are on it?

No memorial to the thousands of innocent civilians murdered by 'British Servicemen and women' since WW2. Many of them Irish ? As I said before, britain the cancer of human society.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

McArmalite wrote: »
    No memorial to the thousands of innocent civilians murdered by 'British Servicemen and women' since WW2. Many of them Irish ? As I said before, britain the cancer of human society.

Also, no memorial to the innocent civilians in the UK, murdered during terrorist bombing campaigns. Some of these victims were also Irish.

• Advertisement

Well why don't you toddle off and work on getting one put up.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Also, no memorial to the innocent civilians in the UK, murdered during terrorist bombing campaigns. Some of these victims were also Irish.

Oh, just ignore McProvo lite. He posts a load of old nonsense on a regular basis.

Lots of Irish people on that memorial by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

As I said before, britain the cancer of human society.

Guess his ban has been lifted.......again :rolleyes:

ejmaztec wrote: »

And why not " no memorial to the innocent civilians in " India 1945 - 1948, Palestine 1945 - 1948, Mayala 1948 - 1960, Korea 1950 - 1953, Kenya, 1955 - 1959, Cyprus 1952 - 1960 , Aden 1955 - 1967, Suez 1956, Malvinas 1982, Afghanistan and Iraq " murdered during " BRITISH " terrorist bombing campaigns." ( And then the brits and their apologists call everyone else TERRORISTS ????????, words fail me).

Maybe while we're at it, maybe we should a memorial for the 'goodie' IRA (1916 - 1921) to the innocent victims murdered during their terrorist campaign. Or for that matter, the innocent civilians murdered by the resistance forces during WW2, or the Vietnamese for the innocent civilians murdered by the Viet Cong, or for that matter the Native Americans, the Maoris, Aboridgines , Zulu's etc for the innocent civilians murdered during their terrorist campaigns etc, etc, etc,

I would have thought that it was about time the brit rulling class took their imperial arrogant heads out of their ar$es and recognised and apologised to the millions murdered by them throughout the world since WW2. If you didn't happen to know, THEY were the occupiers, THEY were the aggressors. If they would accept tha fact that THEY were the ones who initiated the violence, THEY were the ones who are responcible for the whole gross inhuman morass and start to apologise for it, then we may start to get somewhere and the nations who were victims of their terrorist campaigns, can come to terms with their past and recognise the wrongs that were done in retaliation.

But it's a bit rich equating the mass murders of britian with the fraction of deaths in comparsion by unconvetional forces. It's the same asking the mugging victim to forgive the muggers first. But we all know it wouldn't happen, the brit ruling class still have an imperial thirst for throwing their weight around and need to kid themselves that they are still some sort of world military power, and that must be satisfied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

wasn't Seán Mac Stiofáin, or John Stephens as he was known then, with the Paras in Aden and Cyprus? Didn't he become the Chief of Staff of the Provisional IRA in the 1970's at some stage?

:p

• Advertisement

boneless wrote: »
    wasn't Seán Mac Stiofáin, or John Stephens as he was known then, with the Paras in Aden and Cyprus? Didn't he become the Chief of Staff of the Provisional IRA in the 1970's at some stage?

:p

Couldn't tell you, know he was in the Royal Air Farce, but fair play to him, his experiences made him see the injustice of brit occupation and he went over to the resistance fighters. Bit like George Orwell in India. Can'nt knock a man for seeing the errors of his ways in his youth and doing something about it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Hmmm... recently came to light through research of released British State Papers that Orwell was an informer for MI 5... wasn't Mac Stiofáin removed as chief of staff by the Army Council?

boneless wrote: »
    Hmmm... recently came to light through research of released British State Papers that Orwell was an informer for MI 5... wasn't Mac Stiofáin removed as chief of staff by the Army Council?

" Orwell was an informer for MI 5 ". I'd be very, very skeptical about that one, it's like the conspriacy theories, John Lennon shot by the CIA, J Edgar Hoover a transvestite, Kennedy compromised and owned by the Mafia etc, etc,

Mac Stiofáin was removed as chief of staff because he had personally INSISTED on going on hunger strike. And I repeat again, it was at his INSISTANCE. Things were very bad in the north, the Provos were practically openly fighting the brits and loyalists day by day, night by night, they had MORE than enough on their hands at the time. Mac Stiofáin was told in no uncertain terms that it was hungerstrike until he won his demands or death, draining their resources and putting pressure on them, going some of the way and dropping out was not an option. Mac Stiofáin came off the hunger strike, probably within a few days of death, nevertheless, he lost respect in republican cirlcles and was replaced as Chief of Staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭donaghs

The Orwell thing deserves a separate topic. As far as I'm aware he did give a list of suspected Communists to some branch of the British government. If you read about his experiences in Spain, and what the NKVD did (in collaboration with their international contacts), it would make more sense.

Going back to McArmalites thread, the whole "most oppressed" thing gets a bit tiring. He should read about the Belgian Congo for a comparison.

Advertisement