Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomann Sticky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

I agree, Thomann is not the "super saver" it once was. Its prices are definitely up from what they were a year or two ago. I've found many an item in Xmusic and Music Maker the same price or even cheaper than on Thomann.

Thing is though, that Thomann has basically anything you want! Want a set of hard to find monitors? That difficult to source guitar or cymbal? Changes are thomann has it in stock!

Thing is, Thomann is not the only online retailer nowadays with a good rep.
    I find that digitalvillage (Link) is cheaper on most items, AND they offer a 4 year warranty on everything as opposed to Thomanns 3 year warranty.
    Dolphin music is another good place, though they dont seem to have the same stock levels as the other two.

Ebay can be another option and you CAN save loads if you buy international...but thats IF you dont get stung on customs. As far as I'm aware, most packages <€1000 get through, but they do catch a few. Then they charge something like 4% on top of what you paid, and THEN an additional VAT rate (21% I think it is) on top of THAT!

(so its 100% of what you paid + 4% = 104%. Then its 21% of the 104%....not the original 100%. Granted, not much if your package is €200 or something, but if its 4% of €20000 (price of a decent big mixing console!) then it adds up!)

Just my online experiences, but I do tend to compare between the big 3 mentioned above. There are smaller shops online that you can make a killing on, such as this one: http://www.rockemmusic.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭briany

What's said there is true and I have been tempted to use DV247 a couple of times but Thomann have built up a reputation for being a highly efficient and organized retail machine with a very clean web presentation that makes it quite easy for the average person to find what they want without any headaches. Not to mention that the checkout process is very straightforward (DV247, on the other hand, seem to require some sort of credit card authorization procedure if the shipping address is different to the billing address and have a policy of charging the card before shipping as opposed to Thomann who only charge when it is shipped.) and because it's in the Eurozone, there's no rigmarole with conversion and all that

I still would use DV247/Dolphin if they had something that was a good deal cheaper or unavailable elsewhere though.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I ordered stuff from Thomann recently on the same day as I ordered gear from UK stores.

I think Thomann rush things as the their stuff arrived 2 days earlier than the UK stuff.

Thankfully I didn't order a guitar from Thomann, cos they shoved my Boss power supply into a box with something else. No bubblewrap, just a damaged box and the pins for connecting were damaged and bent.

Sending that back obviously.

Seriously, Thomann have pretty much everything and good bundles but I've noticed the UK stores consistently beat them for price and take more care.

Also it doesn't help that Thomann have to ship everything through multiple couriers, airports etc but that might not be a problem if they took more care. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

I personnaly have found Thomann to be very good and professional. Although it is well known that ordering guitars before playing them or testing them can be very unproductive, Thomann have a 30 day returns policy that most people overlook. I ordered a Gibson songmaker from them a few years ago and the guitar arrived swiftly, straight from the box it was a dream to play and sounded great. A few weeks back i ordered a Takamine 12 string and a case for it. Both arrived 6 days later. When I ordered the 12-string I specifically asked that it be checked for fret buzz. When I tuned up the guitar and played it, it had lots of fret buzz. To say i was annoyed is an understatement. I brought the guitar to a tech who said it would cost around 150e to fix (probably chancing his arm) because the frets had to be removed and fret board sanded down etc. I decided to return both guitar and case and e mailed thomann about what steps to take. Straight away they mailed me return documents and told me to ring UPS to collect parcels. Luckily i kept original boxes that they arrived in and rang UPS who came that day and collected both parcels. It didnt cost me a cent, I recieved the money for the case but not the guitar yet so i mailed thomann again and they replied telling me it was done and i should have it anytime. SO i dont see what all the fuss people make about thomann. Basically if your not happy, RETURN the item! IT costs nothing, just keep the packaging for awhile until your certain everything is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

I just ordered a crap load from Thomann, my first order there.

Just grabbed some small parts, tremelo springs, polish, wax, guitar strings, picks, cables, a guitar stand, a slide etc, and I just added an AX3000G to get free shipping :P

€218 for the lot, I was shocked really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anybody up for going half and half on shipping for an order? I only need some cheap monitors and cables and the shipping's too much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

What are Thomann like for Delivery now a days? Amp was shipped today and they gave me a estimate of 2-4 days delivery time. (Ups)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yakult wrote: »
    What are Thomann like for Delivery now a days? Amp was shipped today and they gave me a estimate of 2-4 days delivery time. (Ups)

You should get it within 6 days, shouldn't be longer than that. Thats the usual delivery time I have experienced anyway and I've ordered alot from them over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

What amp did you get?

The T.C Electronics BG500 210

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Anyone getting anything off thomann?

I just need a pair of ear pads:
    http://www.thomann.de/gr/beyerdynamic_dt100ohrpolstervelour.htm

I'll throw in a fiver or something for postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If anyone wants to avoid the postage off thomann for smaller items, give Cormac at Music Technology a shout, he orders them in for more or less the same price as the thomann stuff without postage http://www.musictechnology.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

About five months back I bought a ROLAND CUBE-80XL from Thomann, the best !little amp" ever. So far it is my only purchase form them. I was very pleased with the price and the service...much cheaper than the same product anywhere in Ireland or elsewhere on line at the time. The one thing I was disappointed with, however, was the fact they sent it to me with the European plug, the 2-pin type and not the 3-pin plug we're used to here in Ireland or the UK. It wasn't a real problem as I simply changed the plug. But it would have been nice to have been able to use the amp right from the box instead of having to go get a plug in town.

Having said that I would have no hesitation in using them again.

Before I found Thomann however, I use to mainly use Gear for Music in the UK. A very good company too and very prompt with their deliveries. I have bought tonnes of stuff from them over the years without any problems of note. However, it all depend on how well the Euro is doing as to their prices, if the Euro is Strong their prices are cheaper. Mind you, if they offered free delivery to Ireland they'd be about the best price wise.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

What are decent sites similar to Thomann? I'm ordering €1200 worth of stuff, so if I can save a bit, it would help!

Getting an audio interface, compressor, monitors, mics and a rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

I'v bought lots of stuff from them. Had to return a DOA mixing desk, but they sorted out the courier and sent me a new one. I think they are a great company!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

Waiting on the Thomann DP30 that I ordered last thursday. Was emailed saying it was shipped on Friday. Any estimates on when I'll receive it?

I'd say it should be with you by tomorrow

Yeah? Cool. Can't wait.

Aye, we ordered a digital piano last year and it took around a week, came in two deliveries. (One for the stand and one for the piano)

Two deliveries the same day?

• Advertisement

No, day apart, sorry should have said that.

Oh right okay. Cheers for the feedback.

Yet another question. Anybody know what courier service thomann use?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Garlic Suplmnt

Think it's DHL til it gets to Ireland - then it's in An Post's hands

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭briany

I've had An Post deliver one package but the other times it was delivered by DHL Ireland. I'm not sure how it ends up in the hands of one or the other. Maybe it's just whomever picks it up first? You can request a UPS shipment but that costs slightly more. The upside to UPS is that you can track it easily all the way to the time it arrives at your door. You can sort of track with DHL too but you'll only be able to track the DHL package up until the time it leaves Germany. Then, when it reaches here, it should enter the An Post tracking system if they pick it up (had that happen) or maybe DHL Ireland's.

While I'm still awaiting the arrival of my Digital Piano from Thomann, anybody got any personal experience with the Thomann DP30?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Ordered a Sheraton, hard case and usb interface yesterday, shipped this morning in two lots - says DHL on my order confirmation. Have ordered amps, guitars and various drum bits over the years without any bother. Too much to hope it gets here before the weekend?? :)

efla wrote: »
    Ordered a Sheraton, hard case and usb interface yesterday, shipped this morning in two lots - says DHL on my order confirmation. Have ordered amps, guitars and various drum bits over the years without any bother. Too much to hope it gets here before the weekend?? :)

Normally takes 5 working days, so probably the Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Normally takes 5 working days, so probably the Monday!

Think I feel a cold coming on this weekend.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

I am interested on getting a guitar case from Thomann. It was listed as out of stock for ages and for the last week marked as available in 2 to 5 days. Does this mean the shipment is due in soon or does it mean they will have the item for shipping to me in a few days from placing the order?

Advertisement