Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista

• 11-10-2007 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

Wondering how many people are still using Vista or have gone back to XP. I've been using Vista about 6 months and I've enough of it now.

Are you still using Vista? 50 votes

No switched back to XP
    0%
    Yes having no problems here
    26%
    _Kaiser_davegtechIronManrasperKavs[Deleted User]barneysplashnumacdgreen123Burgosebastianliekenmoyne 13 votes
    I've switched to another non Windows OS
    74%
    astrofoolSniipeirishgeonilhgbyteBKtjejoolsveertmanCreaturerabbitinlightsjesus_thats_grePatamanjoePCStephen PTony HNANOJOAuversBlutmatt-dublinsrdb20 37 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

I'm using it and having problems, maybe you should add that option to the poll? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

i have been using it for over a year now, and i love it!! but i do find it very slow sometimes. now i use a lightened down version of it that runs really smooth!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

dubmick wrote: »
    I'm using it and having problems, maybe you should add that option to the poll? ;)

LOL I should have. That were I am at the moment. But I've had enough. I've started cleaning my machine so I can switch back to XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Also needs an option for "I never moved from XP in the first place."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

lately have been using xp a bit more since theres this one piece of software (dvb tuner stuff) that is three years old and doesn't work with vista. i think i have a fix though, so will go back to vista when i get time to fix it

On another pc have been running vista since it came out with no major issues

So sort of using both, but mainly xp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

using vista, but would consider going back to XP, taking me a long time to get used to it

Not really. I'm only interested in those who have tried it for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Have it a few months now, really like it. I find the UAC messages annoying but I know I can turn them off its just a matter of me getting around to it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Have been using it since March and I really like it. Had no issues with drivers as most of my peripherals were relatively new and their manufacturers hadn't copped out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Find it very good, the trick is to get a good machine with plenty of RAM.
    Won't be going back to XP. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

ill say.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Perfect, I couldn't go back to XP. I hate using it in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

stephen p wrote: »
    Have it a few months now, really like it. I find the UAC messages annoying but I know I can turn them off its just a matter of me getting around to it. :rolleyes:

Holy crap, how could you last a few months with that switched on?
    I didn't last 10 minutes the first time I booted Vista up before switching it off.

I'm delighted with Vista here, I switched back to XP for a while because of speed issues on an older system, but on my new rig it runs like a dream:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's on my sisters laptop and while I haven't used it much I do like it. It will take a bit of getting used to but meh. I probably won't put it on my laptop for a while though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Love it. Its rock solid and Ive only found 1 program that I couldn't get working fully, I cant stand using XP since Ive moved.

Mind you, that was on a brand new Laptop, So I didn't have to deal with drivers etc.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Vista has been unbelievably slow for me. I got it with my new laptop and it dragged the machine so much that it was slower than my old one (single core Pentium M 1.7ghz). I wiped everything and it was almost as bad afterward.

There are times where it's just processing away at full speed and you're only using a web browser and a few explorer windows. Windows explorer is unusable, it is so slow. This is after disabling user control and Aero.

I'm now looking at wiping the thing altogether and using linux or XP. Probably choose gentoo.

EDIT: there doesn't seem to be any option for my situation (going to change) in the poll so I haven't voted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

was running vista on a 1gig of ram on a self built pc, was bearable but slow, windows was paging very badly and things were slow, so got another gig of ram yesterday and it runs like a dream, MOH airbourne was stuttering all over the place with 2 gigs runs like a dream

So for the mo no major problems with vista

Shin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Been using Vista Ultimate since February. Yes, there's been bugs and patches, 7 of them just the other day. Some of the application programmes that I was accustomed to using with XP-2 are incompatible or have probs working with Vista. For example, Spyware Blaster will not load onto Vista, and BlackBoard will not "save" answers to quizzes without probs. But I cannot see moving back to XP-2, cause someday it will not be supported. So you are dam*ed if ye do, and dam*ed if ye don't.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Been using it a few months, and it's growing on me. Using Vista Business version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Been using Vista Ultimate since February. Yes, there's been bugs and patches, 7 of them just the other day. Some of the application programmes that I was accustomed to using with XP-2 are incompatible or have probs working with Vista. For example, Spyware Blaster will not load onto Vista, and BlackBoard will not "save" answers to quizzes without probs. But I cannot see moving back to XP-2, cause someday it will not be supported. So you are dam*ed if ye do, and dam*ed if ye don't.
    I blame the software vendors/manufacturers more than Vista. Yes, ideally Vista would just work with these things but it's not always the case. Do you have the same problem with Blackboard when using Firefox? I have heard of various problems using Blackboard with Internet Explorer 7.

Where's the option in the poll for 'will update shortly'? ;) Was a beta tester. I liked it but it was painful to install. Using it at work now. Wouldn't recommend using it at all unless you have a beefy machine. I'd sooner use Windows ME than Vista Home Basic, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

Sonicwall VPN client still not available for Vista :(

ethernet wrote: »
    ...I'd sooner use Windows ME than Vista Home Basic, however.

ME was always causing problems, far more than other versions of XP. So why the comparision with Vista Home. Does it have problems that the other versions of Vista don't. From what I've read once you turn off all the crud in Vista Home it runs aswell as XP does on low end hardware. I've not tried it myself.

I've had almost no driver or software issues with Vista. My main issue has been with file copying, used to take an ages but is much faster now. I still have a problem with moving folders over themselves especially on external drives. It leaves files and empty folders behind, so I can't trust it. Since I do this a lot, I'm going to have to switch back to XP. I'm going to try a reinstall of Vista first though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Been using a retail version since its release and was using the beta before that.
    Would never go back to XP, love it to bits.

That said i do have a beefy enough machine but it does chug occasionally when switching out of some games. Gonna get another 2gb of ram (4gb of ram, overkill? :) ) and an 8800 ultra so shouldn't really notice that anymore soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    That said i do have a beefy enough machine but it does chug occasionally when switching out of some games. Gonna get another 2gb of ram (4gb of ram, overkill? :) ) and an 8800 ultra so shouldn't really notice that anymore soon enough.

4GB would be overkill if you're using a 32 bit version of Vista, as only 3.5GB (?)will be recognised.
    I have 4GB in my pc and it definitely seems like overkill... 3GB would have done the job nicely

One slight annoyance for me is that Vista HP doesn't allow remote desktop connections to the pc, you can only use it as a client.
    I can understand it being taken out of home basic, but not having it in home premium is a little puzzling... (I tried out a dodgy copy of Ultimate before I bought a copy of HP, and just assumed that it would be included.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Vista Home Premium here.

Yes having a few problems here but none major and I can't be arsed moving back to XP. SP1 is due so I'll wait a while more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Using Vista Home Premium myself and took a bit of a gamble going with the beta release of SP1.. Have had no problems whatsoever and am loving it to to honest. Using Vista on and off since the early betas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

First used vista at work with a new pc that had been ordered... Then got it with a new laptop i bought myself, Vista Ultimate... Works a dream on both, have had the occasional odd problem, but about the same amount as i had with XP...

The PC at home is XP, it's crap to use after getting used to Vista...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Using Vista Home Premium myself and took a bit of a gamble going with the beta release of SP1.. Have had no problems whatsoever and am loving it to to honest. Using Vista on and off since the early betas.

Had the beta SP1 on for a while but didn't notice that much of a difference. Also auto update was not updating a lot of newly released security updates. This may have been down to the fact they were already included in SP1 beta but I've decided to wait on the real SP1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Had Vista business, but seemed like a waste of power on new machine so put back on XP think might give it another bash on dual boot to see if anything attractive on it,however outside of looking good and working with new drivers well nothing pushed any buttons for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm a newbie upgraded with whole new machine to Vista Home Ed 32bit (I presume) most of what I've done so far is to 'de vista' it as much as possible as I spent most of the last decade on win98se! So its old-school interface as much as possible and turning off those annoying admin messages. Still get annoying pop ups though for stuff like 'you have plugged in a USB device' - I know! Can these be defeated?

Mike.

Advertisement