Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Three Cheers for the Sligo Police!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Terry wrote: »
    Warning given

Ehh why did Steyr get a warning? He was being sarcastic in reference to Binomate's way over the top post. It hardly warranted a warning did it?

PS - What's this infraction system I've heard about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Xiney wrote: »
    Seriously, fair play to the Sligo Gardai especially after tonight:

My husband and I went out to a nice restaurant to celebrate my new job. As we were walking back home (this was about 30 minutes ago, now) a college-age student who was obviously three sheets to the wind was walking in the opposite direction towards us. He reached out and grabbed my breast.

I was so shocked, I just sort of stopped, turned around, and was about to call out "what the @#$%" to him when I decided I'd rather not find out if he was also violent. Mr. Xiney asked me what was wrong as he hadn't seen (it happened really fast) and then he wanted to go after him but I stopped him.

I called 999, got the Gardai, and told them what had happened and a good description of the guy. The Garda was an absolute dear, he asked me if I was ok, which obviously I am, just completely shocked. He asked if I'd want the guy taken to court and I told him that I thought he was too drunk to really know what he was doing and to just give him a stern talking to and tell him to go home. (Mr. Xiney thinks I should have had him charged, but I honestly believe he was simply too drunk to know any better... doesn't excuse him completely of course)

Anyway he took my details and I hung up the phone, but a few minutes later he called back to let me know that they'd caught up with him based on the description I gave and they were dealing with him and giving him a strong caution. He again asked me if I was ok and I said I was.

Absolutely impressed with the professionalism of the Gardai and the outcome.

Ahh, i see the problem, you were in sligo.
    My deepest sympathies, may i suggest using the N15, 16 or 4 in order to prevent this awful situation from happening again.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

When I saw this thread, I thought someone was congratulating Sigpo. Strange that the mind gets used to boards words in the right environment so easily that it replaces the name of the place you were born with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ahh, i see the problem, you were in sligo.
    My deepest sympathies, may i suggest using the N15, 16 or 4 in order to prevent this awful situation from happening again.
    At last... a worthwhile chance to use the new fangled infraction system!

Sweet!
    Does this mean i get a cookie?

Also, does it count if you belittle where you are from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Also, does it count if you belittle where you are from?

Probably. Check the Engerland better than Ireland thread. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Hagar wrote: »
    The student behaved very badly, even for a drunk.
    When he realises what he did I bet he felt a right tit.

Amazing.

big b wrote: »
    Probably. Check the Engerland better than Ireland thread. ;)

I love that thread.
    Also, seriously, WTF is an infraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I love that thread.
    Also, seriously, WTF is an infraction.

yore an infraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

eo980 wrote: »
    Ehh why did Steyr get a warning? He was being sarcastic in reference to Binomate's way over the top post. It hardly warranted a warning did it?

PS - What's this infraction system I've heard about?
    Personal abuse.
    You'll know what an infraction is when you get one. :D

I bet he felt a right tit.

I'll give ya 2/1 it was a left one.

(joke OP.......I would've made sure he would have been getting a visit from the tooth-fairy if he did that to my 'ball of snot'. I'm also fairly certain that's what a lot of other posters were getting at earlier in the thread.......that they wouldn't have been able to control themselves to the extent that your bloke did. His actions are more commendable, but, on a personal level, I find it inconceivable that he let it slide.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Go Sligo Police!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

basquille wrote: »
    What is this bollocks we've been subjected to recently that a "good punch in the face will solve everything"? Is this the day and age we live in?

Xiney and Mr. Xiney did the right thing. It was better to walk away - yer man was probably hammered and like Xiney said, they had no idea of what the groper was capable of. Believe me.. Sligo (and Ireland in general) is getting rougher and rougher. Assume if the guy had the stones (OK, he was more than likely hammered) to grope someone then he may well have had a "backup" on the off chance someone got punchy towards him.

This violence solves everything stuff is utter crap. Have never been a fan of violence and would only "indulge" if it was absolutely positively necessary. I will try to avoid it more than anything.

Might make me a pussy fair enough but i'm less likely to end up on the other end of a pissed-off bloke with a weapon than the guy who wanted to get a punch in.

You make some good points there basquille but on the other hand...

/punches basq in face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

** grabs a large rock and takes aim at Earthhorse's head **

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sexual harassment hmmm

Not acceptable as mentioned in my signature :D
    She wasn't at work though, unless she works on the streets?
    If by that you mean that drunk men wandering around reaching out to grab strange women's breasts is worrisome, then I completely agree.
    Are you a strange woman?

And is Sligo in Canada?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

basquille wrote: »
    ** grabs a large rock and takes aim at Earthhorse's head **

Hey man, there's no need to resort to violence.

/runs out of thread

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This is welcome change from all the 'I hate Garda' threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Seriously, fair play to the Sligo Gardai especially after tonight:

My husband and I went out to a nice restaurant to celebrate my new job. As we were walking back home (this was about 30 minutes ago, now) a college-age student who was obviously three sheets to the wind was walking in the opposite direction towards us. He reached out and grabbed my breast.

I was so shocked, I just sort of stopped, turned around, and was about to call out "what the @#$%" to him when I decided I'd rather not find out if he was also violent. Mr. Xiney asked me what was wrong as he hadn't seen (it happened really fast) and then he wanted to go after him but I stopped him.

I called 999, got the Gardai, and told them what had happened and a good description of the guy. The Garda was an absolute dear, he asked me if I was ok, which obviously I am, just completely shocked. He asked if I'd want the guy taken to court and I told him that I thought he was too drunk to really know what he was doing and to just give him a stern talking to and tell him to go home. (Mr. Xiney thinks I should have had him charged, but I honestly believe he was simply too drunk to know any better... doesn't excuse him completely of course)

Anyway he took my details and I hung up the phone, but a few minutes later he called back to let me know that they'd caught up with him based on the description I gave and they were dealing with him and giving him a strong caution. He again asked me if I was ok and I said I was.

Absolutely impressed with the professionalism of the Gardai and the outcome.

you must have nice ones :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

There are so many replies here that I feel contravene the charter stickied on this board that I'd feel absolutely silly reporting them all.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Quit the internet, seriously.

Then consider never leaving the house again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

The student behaved very badly, even for a drunk.
    When he realises what he did I bet he felt a right tit.

lol

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

seeing as she gives her location as "Montreal, Canada", i don't think you need worry about this rampant anglicisation that is apparently everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ok, i didn't bother reading this read til now because of a general detestation of all things involving Sligo but still...

the OP rang 999? 999 is for emergency's i thought??? how in the name of flatulence can the incident she described be considered an emergency!!!! good job at potentially delaying reaction times to other potential REAL emergencies. the world is most certainly a better place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Maybe she didn't have the number of the local Garda station at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

I sort of agree with what basquille is saying about violence not solving anything but...
    in that situation, i definitely would have felt the punch infinitely more satisfying.

it hardly makes the husband a pussy for wanting to deal with the situation legitimately though!

but still... if that was my girlfriend/wife....*smack*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ok, i didn't bother reading this read til now because of a general detestation of all things involving Sligo but still...

the OP rang 999? 999 is for emergency's i thought??? how in the name of flatulence can the incident she described be considered an emergency!!!! good job at potentially delaying reaction times to other potential REAL emergencies. the world is most certainly a better place.
    Jebus, here I am posting in AH - only after reading the Feedback thread I might add.

lbj, where did you get that idea? How the fcuk then are you supposed to proceed in this situation. Ring Directory Enquiries? Get real! The police are quite happy to get 'non-emergency' calls over 999. it's not like the next 'real emergency' caller will get a busy signal now is it? Fair enough, you don't want everyone dialling 999 on Halloween, asking for the police, then saying they heard a few loud bangs and thought it might be gunshots....

And the plural of 'emergency' is 'emergencies' btw. The Emergency, on the other hand, ended sometime in 1945...or was it 1946?

OP: At least the police are aware of this groper now. But imagine if you had been alone - would it have been worthy of an arrest then? The next woman who encounters this guy might not get off as lightly as you did. I do not believe that a 'caution' (don't think we have a formal caution here like Britain?) will prevent this guy from doing the same or worse the next time tbh.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Stekelly wrote: »
    She should be allowed to give the guys balls a good squeeze as punishment.
    That may have turned him on. He may also have gotten the wrong idea, and thought you were coming onto him.

=-=

OP: lucky the police had a grasp of the situation. Well, at least a better grasp than the lad who felt ye up had.
    (I will not be replying further to this thread, if anyone wants to discuss the issue further with me, please pm me)
    Oh, and wots with the lack of cat pictures, here, and on http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055164065 The OP said that they wouldn't reply, so it seems fair game.

I'm expecting at least one police cat, or maybe one cat grasping another cat:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

I cant believe we've gone 4 pages without....

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/306/306_panda_dance.gif

that makes me a sad panda.
    But fair play to the sligo guards, I knew they couldnt all be bad! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

IMO he should have been charged with indecent assault and put on the sex offenders register.

As punishment he could have been forced to make a large contribution to the rape crisis centre.

Drunken student or not he should have been hauled over the coals for touching you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

egan007 wrote: »
    While I think your actions were correct and I'm sorry that this happened you. You are the one that immediately assumed he was a student.

That kind of assumption does not fill me with confidence in Irish Society.

As I have already stated (although I can't blame you for not reading through all this) the college-age man was coming from the college. Sligo is not a town built where people who are not students come from there very often. It's a fair enough assumption (though I'll admit an assumption all the same) that he was a student.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    And is Sligo in Canada?

It isn't. I've recently moved to Sligo from Canada, unfortunately the User CP seems to have a bug where I can't change anything without inputting the correct "Boards Beep". Seeing as my field is empty and I have no intention of filling it, I suppose I'll be from Montreal forever.

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    Ok so he may or may not have been a student. This is how students get bad name's . You gave a description to the guards, did you not have to go to the garda station and identify him?? They could have picked up any "student" . You haven't posted here for a while yet i feel that you would like to get lots of the posters into trouble. OP
    > troublemaker

I haven't posted here in a while because I was busy.

I said I gave a good description to the Gardai. I told them what colour hair and eyebrows (although I didn't remember eyes), his height and approximate weight, as well as a description of the distinctive shirt he was wearing and information about the colour trousers and shoes.

In addition to that, the road along which we were walking only really goes in one direction and so they'd have known that he'd be somewhere along it, and not turned off anywhere for some time.

Additionally, I was at the Garda station yesterday for a completely unrelated matter and I asked about the incident. The Gard at the desk had been one of those who stopped him, and let me know that they had his details should I ever want to make a statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The Gard at the desk had been one of those who stopped him, and let me know that they had his details should I ever want to make a statement.

Give the guard the url to this thread!.

Was the guard staring at your chest?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

esel wrote: »
    Jebus, here I am posting in AH - only after reading the Feedback thread I might add.

lbj, where did you get that idea? How the fcuk then are you supposed to proceed in this situation. Ring Directory Enquiries? Get real! The police are quite happy to get 'non-emergency' calls over 999. it's not like the next 'real emergency' caller will get a busy signal now is it? Fair enough, you don't want everyone dialling 999 on Halloween, asking for the police, then saying they heard a few loud bangs and thought it might be gunshots....

And the plural of 'emergency' is 'emergencies' btw. The Emergency, on the other hand, ended sometime in 1945...or was it 1946?

well fair enough, but i always had it hammered into me when i was younger that you don't dial 999 unless it's an immediate emergency where someone was actively in danger. it had something to do with all the time that was being wasted by the emergency services dealing with small crap and pranks at the time... so sorry for having such an outlandish opinion, but it's what we had bet into us.

and wtf are you talking about THE emergency? i made a ****ing spelling mistake, what an anal post... *insert blatant breach of charter here*

Edit: and remember this is AH, there is an element of taking the piss...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

As I have already stated (although I can't blame you for not reading through all this) the college-age man was coming from the college. Sligo is not a town built where people who are not students come from there very often. It's a fair enough assumption (though I'll admit an assumption all the same) that he was a student.

I'd have to disagree with this. I'm from Sligo and I go to the IT but I know plenty of people my age who don't go to college and have no intention of going at least for the foreseeable future. Although I will say that it was a fair assumption especially if it occured during the week.
    It isn't. I've recently moved to Sligo from Canada, unfortunately the User CP seems to have a bug where I can't change anything without inputting the correct "Boards Beep". Seeing as my field is empty and I have no intention of filling it, I suppose I'll be from Montreal forever.

It's a bug. Try entering 0871234567 for the board beep and that should fix it.

I'd have to disagree with this. I'm from Sligo and I go to the IT but I know plenty of people my age who don't go to college and have no intention of going at least for the foreseeable future. Although I will say that it was a fair assumption especially if it occured during the week.

That's not what I meant, although I worded it unclearly.

What I meant was, where we met him, he was coming from (physically walking from) the college. I am 99% sure he was a student.

As for the board beep thing, cheers.

Advertisement