Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High mileage cars

Options
  • 12-10-2007 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi All,

Just spotted this car on carzone with big miles on the clock.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=706186

I know alot of taxi drivers buy these Mercs. I think this one looks great considering the mileage on it, but its prob mainly down to good uk motorways.

It got me wondering whats the highest mileage people have seen on cars? What were the makes and years?
    Just curious if its always mercs, vw's and toyotas..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A workmate had a '89 W124 200E auto estate and it had 220,000 miles but the clock had stoped a LONG time ago. I'd say it probably had closer to 300k on it and it was still a nice car. My brother had a saloon with over 200k on it and it ran like a dream.

Never had more than 150k on any of mine but the English W210s are to be avoided- rotted like yer Da's old regatta.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

LMAO! The W211 is known to be an absolute pile of junk! I know numerous people who have countless problems with them, I have witnessed first hand how badly one can go wrong (repeatedly)

New Mercs have nothing in common with the bulletproof barges of yesteryear.

EDIT: just noticed it was the previous gen,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Lol 580.000 km
    Still that is a hell of a lot, and in my opinion it is not worth 15k at all, even if the car looks ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

mick.fr wrote: »
    not worth 15k at all

QFT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

On holidays in Morrocco about 5 years ago, I was in a Mercedes w123 240d, and commented to the driver how well it was running. He pointed out the miles on the odometer, which was around 500k miles, and then proudly pronounced that the odometer had packed up about 4 years earlier!

Not as impressive, but still - I recently acquired an Audi 80tdi avant, with 230k miles on the clock, and it sounds like it could do the same again. Had a huge service history from day 1. It just shows the value of regular oil and filter changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 cowenstaff

just to let you know - 60-70% of all he cars imprted into Ierland form the Uk - have had the mileage altered

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

where are exactly are you pulling that statistic from?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

id imagine one with 1/4 of the mileage wouldnt cost any more than 15k?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cowenstaff wrote: »
    just to let you know - 60-70% of all he cars imprted into Ierland form the Uk - have had the mileage altered
    Any chance of a source for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

gyppo wrote: »
    On holidays in Morrocco about 5 years ago, I was in a Mercedes w123 240d, and commented to the driver how well it was running

The world record is held by a Greek taxi driver with a W123 with 5 MILLION kilometers on it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

unkel wrote: »
    The world record is held by a Greek taxi driver with a W123 with 5 MILLION kilometers on it :eek:

Its an older W115 and Mercedes in Germany have it now, it was taxied 24 hours a day, he had 3 engines for it, he used to fit a different one every 300K and rebuild the one that was in it.
    The world record for a car on its original engine is a 2 million mile Volvo P1800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Old Mercs were the best in the world for reliability. Not even Japanese cars could come close.

Unfortunately that has long since disappeared, the last properly built Mercs were the W202 C-class and the W210 E-class.

The W211 E-class is meant to be one of the worst built cars as per Wikipedia
    The W211 model of the E-Class became somewhat infamous for its poor reliability. Consumer Reports classified the W211 model's reliability as "poor," its lowest rating, and declared it one of the "least reliable luxury cars."

Mercedes-Benz decided some years ago that they were spending too much on their cars build quality(the first cars that were 'infected' by this decision wer the W220 S-class back in 1999, and the A-class in 1998), all properly built Mercs were quite considerably over engineered. This over engineering was costing them a considerable amount of money, plus it happened around the time of the merger with Chrysler. It is often said that Chrysler infected all new generation Mercs.

They have been paying for it ever since.

I've been in W124's with 1.3 million km on the clock, W202s with 727,000 km, 560,000km and other sorts of ridiculous mileage.
    Incredibally the cars were still sounding perfect, working perfectly inside, and were still able to pull when required.

I was then in a W203(01-07 C class)with 315,000 km, and it sounded like it was going to collapse, but the worst was going in a W211 E-class taxi with only 119,000 km, and the suspension was groaning, and part of the instrument clustre wasn't working.

They ceratinly don't build Mercs the way they used to, and more's the pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'd like to see some more info on that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Any car will keep going as long as you keep replacing the worn out parts. Next time you're in a high milage merc taxi, just ask the driver how much he spent on parts in the previous year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

BostonB wrote: »
    I'd like to see some more info on that too.

As would I. Anything I've seen thats a UK import is of far superior spec to our cars, with bigger engines etc, and always in showroom condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

A fella came in to the showroom one day, with a range rover...I think it was early 90's.... A manual... 330,000miles and he says "it goes better than the one i bought four years ago", as he was signin the papers to a range rover sport:D

E92 wrote: »
    As would I. Anything I've seen thats a UK import is of far superior spec to our cars, with bigger engines etc, and always in showroom condition.

I've seen some dodgy UK imports. But no more than Irish ones. With any car you need to do your homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Unfortunately that has long since disappeared, the last properly built Mercs were the W202 C-class and the W210 E-class.

No way. The last properly built mercs were the w124, w140 and w201. The cost cutting was well underway by the time the w202 and w210 had come along.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Don't know where he got the stat from, but going on some of the UK imports I saw when I was looking for my current car, I'd well believe that 2 out of 3 UK imports sold by dealers here are clocked.

On the Merc - it's well over-priced for the mileage IMO, probably by 3 or 4k.

• Advertisement

I'd say for specific dealers that true. But not for all dealers and not for all private imports either. Unless its got a wad of history that can be backed up I'd walk away. If every car on the lot has no history, run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maidhc wrote: »
    No way. The last properly built mercs were the w124, w140 and w201. The cost cutting was well underway by the time the w202 and w210 had come along.
    I'm in the middle - I reckon the W202 was the last of the good ones. The W124 was good until they facelifted it. Based on this, I conclude that Mercedes build quality fell apart in or about August 1993.:)

Advertisement