Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another dumb post looking for wireless advice!

• 12-10-2007 12:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

hi all
    apologies in advance for yet another thread inquiring about broadband to wireless device compatibilty. I wouldnt ask but I already spent over 100 euro a year ago on a Cable and Wireless router from Argos which turned out to be incompatible with irish signals and was later removed from the catalogue. By the ime I found that out I had lost the receipt and many hours mucking around with the settings on it. It now has pride of place under the stairs while it awaits a trip to the local recycle centre.

Currently I have BT broadband with a manky Zyxel router (which i pay €4 a month for) connected to my desktop via ethernet cable. I just bought a laptop so I want to get rid of the Zyxel as its a waste of money, and replace it with a wireless router/modem device that will connect with both computers. I assume I'll need a usb receiver as well. I may want to hook up an xbox360 at some point wirelessly as well. I have an average size 3-bed gaff, the desktop is upstairs, well away from the phone point down in the hall.

I didnt want to post this(I know people must be sick of reading these threads) so I asked Komplett for their recommendations and believe it or not they refused, telling me to contact my service provider. Given that when i had the C+W wireless hassle I didnt even get as far as the model no. before BT "tech support" told me to get lost cos they only support Zyxel, I am now in your hands. Any recommendations would be most welcome. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Buy a Linksys wireless router, buy two usb wireless dongles, buy the 360 wireless adapter.

First up connect the router to a lap top to set it up, set up the ip range.

Its pretty much plug and play then, ensure teh devices can see the wireless signal, if they can see it and view web pages, secure the router by addding a wep key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Thanks AdrianII
    I will try that over the next few days. The hassle with the old router was it was PPoA only if i remember right, whereas I needed a PPoE router. Cheers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Johnnycabs wrote: »
    hi all
    apologies in advance for yet another thread inquiring about broadband to wireless device compatibilty. I wouldnt ask but I already spent over 100 euro a year ago on a Cable and Wireless router from Argos which turned out to be incompatible with irish signals and was later removed from the catalogue. By the ime I found that out I had lost the receipt and many hours mucking around with the settings on it. It now has pride of place under the stairs while it awaits a trip to the local recycle centre.

Currently I have BT broadband with a manky Zyxel router (which i pay €4 a month for) connected to my desktop via ethernet cable. I just bought a laptop so I want to get rid of the Zyxel as its a waste of money, and replace it with a wireless router/modem device that will connect with both computers. I assume I'll need a usb receiver as well. I may want to hook up an xbox360 at some point wirelessly as well. I have an average size 3-bed gaff, the desktop is upstairs, well away from the phone point down in the hall.

I didnt want to post this(I know people must be sick of reading these threads) so I asked Komplett for their recommendations and believe it or not they refused, telling me to contact my service provider. Given that when i had the C+W wireless hassle I didnt even get as far as the model no. before BT "tech support" told me to get lost cos they only support Zyxel, I am now in your hands. Any recommendations would be most welcome. Thanks in advance for your help.

Do a bit of research on the net yourself it is very worthwhile - just google for setting up a wirless network or something like that.

I don't usually have any sympathy for bt but isps will only support equipment that they supply and as for expecting free advice from Komplett:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

With regards the router you got from ARGOS, send them an emaiml to customer complaints saying what are they doing selling stuff that is not compatible in ireland, and you wnat a refund. I know you lost your receipt, but if what you are saying is true, your issue is genuine and they should sort you out. If you bought with a credit card or laser, then you can get a receipt this way.

Alternatively, EBAY it, but dont dump it. I really would chance ARGOS for a refund though, its not your fault they sold HW that woudl not work. Threaten them with the small claims court if you must, as they have sold you something that is not fit for purpose, but take a softly softly approach first.
    Wexfordman

Advertisement