Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting posts to mods.

Options
  • 12-10-2007 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Recently I posted a thread in the cess pool that is After Hours, (Three Cheers for the Sligo Police!)not realising it had become said pustulant repository in the 3 years since I regularly visited Boards.ie.

I reported one of the early posts to a moderator, and that poster got a warning. However, I feel that there were several more posts in violation of the board charter. In fact, the majority of the posts were.

Should the onus to report abusive posts be on fellow posters? Or should moderators be able to determine for themselves that other posts in a thread that has already been brought to their attention are objectionable?

Honestly perhaps the General Discussion should be split up into two areas: one for those who would like to have discussions in accordance with a charter, and another for those who want to continue to act like immature cretins.

I am quite shocked at what is being allowed on After Hours these days, as I know it would not have been only a few years ago.

(I will not be replying further to this thread, if anyone wants to discuss the issue further with me, please pm me)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think your main problem was you posted this in After Hours,which if the kindergarder on Boards it serves a purposes keeping all the crazies in one spot.

Maybe post this again in the North West forum or other appropriate regional forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Xiney wrote:
    ...immature cretins....After Hours
    Who'da thunk it?
    I will not be replying further to this thread
    Very mature. Maybe you should stick to posting in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Xiney wrote: »
    Honestly perhaps the General Discussion should be split up into two areas: one for those who would like to have discussions in accordance with a charter, and another for those who want to continue to act like immature cretins.

I am quite shocked at what is being allowed on After Hours these days, as I know it would not have been only a few years ago.

Serious discussion and AH don't go hand in hand. AH has a tongue in cheek attitude to most topics. Sometimes interesting topics will appear but someone will always want to stick in 'Yore Ma' along the way.

Reported post are all looked at and acted on if necessary. Sometimes posts might not have over stepped the line, but with the volume of users that Boards has now, some are sure to offend some people.

AH has got dumbed down over the years, with the creation of new forums there is always a place for other topics. Just ask Biko.

AH can still hold some gems, other times it feels like just a step up from tCN.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

OY! :mad:
    Rabies wrote: »
    ... it feels like just a step down from tCN.

Fixed that for ya! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Should the onus to report abusive posts be on fellow posters? Or should moderators be able to determine for themselves that other posts in a thread that has already been brought to their attention are objectionable?
    Fellow posters.
    We, the moderators, can usually only offer 1 opinion or at best discuss it for a little while and then come to an agreement based on the opinions of 3 or 4 people with somewhat similar mindset - we should not act as a moral compass, or a child-minding service - we are human: fallible and have a finite amount of time and patience. We deal with the bottom-of-the-barrel stuff (outright infractions) directly and as quickly as possible. We get a lot of whinging about this. For everything else, there's Report This Post. If you think there is an on-going, deeper issue like this - then Feedback or a PM to the moderators is appropriate.

Boardsies want and need a lot of flexibility for "GENERAL Discussion" -we give it to them. I would happily give them more if they regulated themselves (i.e. Copped the **** on, and reported posts).

I'd like you to cite some more examples of the 'issue' at hand...but you've cleverly opted out of this thread and made it look like a little rant, wasting an opportunity to actually do something. I'd say 'Typical' but you've actually managed to go two steps beyond the usual AH retard.
    AH -v- tCN :p
    In short: bull****.
    Slightly longer version, gudunlehknusswhy: T'Internets have grown. Boards.ie has grown. AH has grown. "Grown" = more people, more opinions and diversity. In order to have a general discussion on t'internets, people tend to reach the lowest common denominator. I blame tabloids, t'internets, TV, and Britney. Thank you and good day (I hope that you enjoy posting in any of the other several hundred fora here.)

PS: If you want us to lock that thread in AH, drop any modertor a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I know it's popular belief that Mods don't have real lives, but that just isn't true ;)
    If you mod a busy forum, there is no way you will ever get to read every single post, therefore reported posts are exceedingly helpful.
    Most of the reported posts I get I will deal with, the odd one however I may consider ok and will leave it.
    What one person might consider objectionable, I might not. I would presume that in AH this is even more obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Most of the reported posts I get I will deal with, the odd one however I may consider ok and will leave it.
    What one person might consider objectionable, I might not..
    Indeed, as the number of users on boards increases, the number of people being offended increases.
    I've definitely seen an increase in reported posts saying, "This poster is rude".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Beruthial wrote:
    I know it's popular belief that Mods don't have real lives, but that just isn't true :)
    Speak for yourself.

Xiney, I asked you to take up your problems in AH to feedback. I also suggested you supply links to the threads you found questionable.
    We can't instantly know what is to one persons taste and what is not. This is why we ask for links.

As you have decided to opt out of posting in this thread again and have not supplied any links, I do not see how we can help you with your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Recently I posted a thread in the cess pool that is After Hours, (Three Cheers for the Sligo Police!)not realising it had become said pustulant repository in the 3 years since I regularly visited Boards.ie.

You posted in AH when there is a Sligo forum. You were asking for it.

You then posted here complaining about it and proceeded to spit your dummy by refusing to follow up your initial post. You're asking for cats now.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

(I will not be replying further to this thread, if anyone wants to discuss the issue further with me, please pm me)
    Why start the thread then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

seamus wrote: »
    Indeed, as the number of users on boards increases, the number of people being offended increases.
    I've definitely seen an increase in reported posts saying, "This poster is rude".

He was rude though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

God love you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Would you like a ban so that you'll be spared from accidentally clicking on the link and being exposed to such vile filth again?

seamus wrote: »

Is this a problem with over-sensitive new people, or desensitized Internet geeks that have seen and done worse?

Karoma wrote: »
    Is this a problem with over-sensitive new people, or desensitized Internet geeks that have seen and done worse?

It's people not figuring out where they should hang out. There are plenty of sanitized and orderly forums on this site to post in if you prefer that kind of thing. If anything, the most common complaint I've heard about boards is that it's too strict and too heavily moderated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I could let him into Lolocaust if that helps? Whistles innocently...

nesf wrote: »
    It's people not figuring out where they should hang out. There are plenty of sanitized and orderly forums on this site to post in if you prefer that kind of thing. If anything, the most common complaint I've heard about boards is that it's too strict and too heavily moderated.

In the OP's case: Indubitably.
    For AH: I wish They would make up their ****ing minds. *pulls out hair*

I was just taking it to a boards.ie-wide level with the SMOD.

AH -v- tCN :p
    Tbh, I have seen far more "immature" and "cretinous" behaviour in AH than I have ever seen in tCN.

tCN is a pishtake forum, and is very clear about that:
    light-hearted / tongue in cheek - always
    silly / giddy - often
    immature - yes, sometimes, but usually in the sense of people leaving their "sensible" hats at the door, and acting the goat
    surreal - now and again, in its better moments
    full of people deliberately slagging / taking the pish out of each other - yes, 100%
    cretinous - ??? Well, I have yet to see the kind of borderline racism, etc., which sometimes afflicts AH rear its ugly head in any serious way in tCN, to take just one example.

Admittedly, there have been many threads in AH which might just as easily have found a home in tCN, if the AH Mods had wanted to move them ... the spate of threads a couple of weeks ago of the "what age were you when you first w@nked?" type springs immediately to mind. Please note, I'm not saying that they should have been moved, or that they were inappropriate for AH, simply that such light-hearted, pishtake-type threads might easily fit in either forum.

For some people, they tend to gravitate to tCN for a bit of silliness, others may tend to find that in a particular private forum, or prefer to take the pish out of one another on #boards, or indeed all three ... whichever is their choice, it doesn't automatically make either their choice of venue or the behaviour itself cretinous.

And yes, Karoma, I strongly suspect that your comment above was also tongue-in-cheek, but while you may have meant it that way, and others may at least suspect as much, not everyone who reads Feedback will take that on board (if you'll excuse the terrible pun!). I suppose I get a bit fed up with the constant snide asides at tCN in Feedback in particular; I've been noticing it now for a few months. Your's was the second in this particular thread, and it hasn't even reached 20 posts.
    For AH: I wish They would make up their ****ing minds. *pulls out hair*
    However, just to note that on this point you have my complete sympathy, for what it's worth! I honestly do not understand how the AH mods have the patience to keep going with so many people constantly second-guessing them on every side, and demanding that they should be less strict / more strict / jump through hoops. I wouldn't have the patience for it, tbh, and I have respect for the team that do it, and in my view do it quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Betcha the OP replies to this thread at some stage........

One of my few problems with tCN is that people take it too seriously.

My comment was obviously tongue-in-cheek... So, we'll leave it there. Other than: Both fora are at the bottom of Boards.ie - AH gets more of the idiots, tCN gets more of the fools. This is not a dig, it's reality. They are what they are. They serve a purpose, and we are unlikely to remove or completely change them because of this. We will however try to draw a line on what is and is not acceptable. This line moves from time to time. I want feedback to gauge where that line should be - this is where PM's, Feedback and Reported Post (And subsequent mod discussion) come into the equation. I do listen to users, if they have something worth saying.

• Advertisement

One of my few problems with tCN is that people take it too seriously.
    Oh, I don't, believe me, despite any impression my post above may have given! :D
    My comment was obviously tongue-in-cheek ...
    I would have put good money on that, but then I've seen enough of you around Boards to have a fair idea of your style. But a lot of people read Feedback, including a lot of the new people, who may not necessarily pick that up. As a tCN regular, I regret that the user-group of that forum has grown so small, and I would love to encourage others to pop in and use the place for what it is ... a bit of silliness, a timeout from the more serious business of life, an opportunity to let the hair down and de-stress.
    AH gets more of the idiots, tCN gets more of the (deliberate?) fools.
    /me puts on Fool's Cap and capers around! :o
    I do listen to users, if they have something worth saying.
    Yes, in all seriousness, I know that. In fact, sometimes I think the AH mods try to listen too hard to users, in terms of the concomitant risks to their own sanity! :)

However, just to note that on this point you have my complete sympathy, for what it's worth! I honestly do not understand how the AH mods have the patience to keep going with so many people constantly second-guessing them on every side, and demanding that they should be less strict / more strict / jump through hoops. I wouldn't have the patience for it, tbh, and I have respect for the team that do it, and in my view do it quite well.

Honestly, I just ignore them for the most part. The majority of people on there seem to have no complaint and enjoy themselves and that's what we need to aim for really. If most of the forum is up in arms over something it'd be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

nesf wrote: »
    Honestly, I just ignore them for the most part. The majority of people on there seem to have no complaint and enjoy themselves and that's what we need to aim for really. If most of the forum is up in arms over something it'd be different.
    Indeed.
    We try to give the people what they want.

When something crosses the line, there are plenty of people who report posts and alert us to the problem.
    This is always appreciated.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Must resist urge to edit Mr. Rabies post..................
    Rabies wrote: »
    Serious discussion and AH don't go hand in hand. AH has a tongue in cheek attitude to most topics. Sometimes interesting topics will appear but someone will always want to stick IT in 'Yore Ma' along the way.

Reported post are all looked at and acted on if necessary. Sometimes posts might not have over stepped the line, but with the volume of users that Boards has now, some are sure to offend some people.

AH has got dumbed down over the years, with the creation of new forums there is always a place for other topics. Just ask Biko.

AH can still hold some gems, other times it feels like just a step up from tCN.

Dam it I couldn't resist... see what AH does to some of us posters!! AH can be good for a laugh but most of it is to be taken lightly!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I like where tCN and AH have gone. Why people think they are similar is beyond me. tCN is for surreality and silliness and Amp mods it excellently in all fairness. Probably because he's fairly surreal and silly himself at the best of times :)

AH is as real as it gets, where Boards and the great unwashed public crash into contact with each other.

Stop and think a moment about what you want us to actually DO.

These people exist, we're not making up accounts to go around having a go an unsuspecting people like the OP. Those people believe those opinions. I'm very sorry if they offend but consider what you are requesting:

Are you asking us to change the Irish public so there are less rude people in it?

or

Are you asking us to shield you from the truth (that there are a lot of yobs and rude people out there) and create an unreal coccoon?

Will stopping these people's ability to post alter their opinions and beliefs?

AH runs the gauntlet of allowing unvarnished, unfettered communication while attempting to keep the place from turning into a charnal house of bad taste. Its a tight rope walk which is why they are hearing cries of "Moderate more" along with "You are fascist bastards!". People are falling off both sides of the tightrope but it would seem like the 80% I have spoken about before are more or less happy.

As I have pointed out, Humanities might be more you style OP.

DeV.

Speak for yourself; I register alternative accounts to abuse people on an hourly basis. It gets me through the day.
    I'll stop though; you may lock the Terry account now.
    Back to thought-control duties...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Terry banned.

I thought it was an Alisa script? Learn something new every day...

DeV.

One thing that tends to make people associate AH with tCN is the overlapping userbase.
    Why, the big meanies in tCN are threatening to take over AH. :'(
    It's nothing short of a deliberate send-up.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54190586

One thing that tends to make people associate AH with tCN is the overlapping userbase.
    Why, the big meanies in tCN are threatening to take over AH. :'(
    It's nothing short of a deliberate send-up.
    LOL!

/me salutes Herr Karoma! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

tCN, take over AH?? Never...........................

edit: gotta love the random craziness in both though

Advertisement