Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no more downtime ?

Options
  • 12-10-2007 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

looks like no more downtime between 3 and half 3
    about time they sorted this problem
    well done admins
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Wow that's actually pretty cool that there's no more half hour break.

<3 upgrade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i heard it has been switched to 3 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

yeah
    well it was a bit ridiculous anyway
    so its about time they sorted it
    lets hope they dont have it at a different time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

But........how will we know when it's time to go to bed?

Holy sh*t, is that the time? I'm hitting the sack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved from AH with an expiring redirect... <3 3.6!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

green123 wrote: »
    yeah
    well it was a bit ridiculous anyway
    so its about time they sorted it
    lets hope they dont have it at a different time

It has to occour either way, it doesn't make any difference to the backups when they are done. The mods picked a time when there would be less traffic.

I believe that either the admins forgot to set the backup script, or they decided to do the first couple of backups during day time just in case there are any issues.

Just imagine the aggro if it went down @03:00 and didn't come back!

KTRIC wrote: »
    It has to occour either way, it doesn't make any difference to the backups when they are done. The mods picked a time when there would be less traffic.

surely its possible to do backups without bringing the whole site down every single day ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

surely its possible to do backups without bringing the whole site down every single day ?

Simple answer is "no". You can't back up files that are in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Karoma wrote: »
    Moved from AH with an expiring redirect... <3 3.6!
    Expiring redirect? So when the redirect expires it zaps back to AH? Cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I didn't set the backup script right. Don't worry, you'll get the usual go-to-bed reminder, but I might tweak the time a bit!

everyday again ?
    surely it should be possible not to have to do this everyday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

We do like the idea of daily backups.

Actually, I do plan to build a standby database server that we continually replicate to, but I also like a 100% dump of the DB too.

everyday again ?
    surely it should be possible not to have to do this everyday ?
    Absolutely. They could not do it, ever. But then the next time something goes bang, we lose a few hundred thousand posts :)

The database gets backed up every day so that we have a copy of all of the posts that were made that day. If you don't do it every day, you risk losing more information.

There are a few things that can actuall be done which would offer alternatives;

1. Set up the old server as a mirror. What this does is have the second server watching and copying everything the live server does. A bit like a kid copying his mate's test in school. The great thing about this is that the mirror is always only a few minutes behind the live system. The bad thing about this is that it's not a "backup" solution. It requires regular monitoring and administration to ensure that it's working properly. It's really only for scenarios where you require high-availability and a hot-swappable database server. Anyone using this method on any database, still maintains regular backups apart from the replication cluster.
    The other great thing about this is, provided you know the mirror is working, then you can do your dumps from the mirror server, leaving the live server free to go on working.

2. Use differential backups instead of full backups. This kind of scenario usually means that a full backup (all data is backed up) is performed once a week, say on a Sunday. Then every evening after that, only the changed data is backed up. This means that with the exception of the Sunday night backup, each night's backup should be pretty quick. I'm not sure if MySQL provides this though.
    The main problem with this is the time it takes to do a restore. If the database dies on Friday afternoon (for example), you need to restore the Sunday night backup, then the monday night one, then the tuesday one, and so on. You'd have to do about seven individual restores to get you back to a working situation. If you do a full backup nightly, then you only need to do two (database & TLog) to get you back to a working state. With admin time at a premium, this would be a pain.

These are only the two most obvious I can see. I'm sure King Dan knows some more funky trickery to perform superfast live backups.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

seamus wrote: »
    Expiring redirect? So when the redirect expires it zaps back to AH? Cool!
    Cool, expiring redirects! I think that means that the little redirect shortcut notice on the original forum disappears after some time.
    These are only the two most obvious I can see. I'm sure King Dan knows some more funky trickery to perform superfast live backups.
    It looks like green123 knows much more about backups than you seamus. Maybe green123 can fill the admins in on how exactly to do the backup, or why exactly a backup isn't needed as his knowledge on this matter seems obscenely informed.

Gordon wrote: »
    Cool, expiring redirects! I think that means that the little redirect shortcut notice on the original forum disappears after some time.
    Ah, that makes more sense :D

I prefer that

Gordon wrote: »

It looks like green123 knows much more about backups than you seamus. Maybe green123 can fill the admins in on how exactly to do the backup, or why exactly a backup isn't needed as his knowledge on this matter seems obscenely informed.

no need to be such a smart ****

i was just saying that surely there must be other ways to do backups without bringing the whole site down everyday

and as seamus has pointed out, there are other ways

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

i was just saying that surely there must be other ways to do backups without bringing the whole site down everyday

Ah, give us a kiss.
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I presume the super new server will cut down on the time the back up takes. Also what is the big deal? Does the 30 minute backup really inconvenience you that much green123? It's only 30 minutes at 3am. Over on the cuckoos nest they have even made a game out of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

30mins is nothing in the middle of the morning, would ya go away outta it. Take a break, or go for a stroll or visit some other site for that 30mins!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

"day" is a mighty strong word there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

For me, even as an insomniac, the 3am backup was never an issue, and is certainly infinitely better than the alternative possible loss of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

It's quite simple, 3am is nap time, before a fresh round of browsing/posting at 3.30.

It's only half an hour green123, and the good news is, the other boards sites don't go down, so you can browse them until it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

daveirl wrote: »
    I see where you're coming from, Dave, but tbh I wouldn't even argue that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

regi wrote: »
    We do like the idea of daily backups.

Actually, I do plan to build a standby database server that we continually replicate to, but I also like a 100% dump of the DB too.

Can the site be made read only while the backup happens ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

daveirl wrote: »

Would you point out where the OP is demanding anything ?

This is feedback, he was giving feedback on the sites performance, or lack of between 3-3.30am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

seamus wrote: »
    Absolutely. They could not do it, ever. But then the next time something goes bang, we lose a few hundred thousand posts :)

The database gets backed up every day so that we have a copy of all of the posts that were made that day. If you don't do it every day, you risk losing more information.

There are a few things that can actuall be done which would offer alternatives;

1. Set up the old server as a mirror. What this does is have the second server watching and copying everything the live server does. A bit like a kid copying his mate's test in school. The great thing about this is that the mirror is always only a few minutes behind the live system. The bad thing about this is that it's not a "backup" solution. It requires regular monitoring and administration to ensure that it's working properly. It's really only for scenarios where you require high-availability and a hot-swappable database server. Anyone using this method on any database, still maintains regular backups apart from the replication cluster.
    The other great thing about this is, provided you know the mirror is working, then you can do your dumps from the mirror server, leaving the live server free to go on working.

2. Use differential backups instead of full backups. This kind of scenario usually means that a full backup (all data is backed up) is performed once a week, say on a Sunday. Then every evening after that, only the changed data is backed up. This means that with the exception of the Sunday night backup, each night's backup should be pretty quick. I'm not sure if MySQL provides this though.
    The main problem with this is the time it takes to do a restore. If the database dies on Friday afternoon (for example), you need to restore the Sunday night backup, then the monday night one, then the tuesday one, and so on. You'd have to do about seven individual restores to get you back to a working situation. If you do a full backup nightly, then you only need to do two (database & TLog) to get you back to a working state. With admin time at a premium, this would be a pain.

The problem, well a problem, with mirroring and one of the reasons you still need a backup is that depending on the method of mirroring you will mirror corruption as well as data. So if you start corrupting your R1 your R2 can quickly follow.

It might be possible to use a "synthetic" full backup. Start with a full backup and run incrementals as often as you want. Then, every week or every day take the last full and any subsequent incrementals and roll them into a spanky new full backup.

Personally I would try to run all the backups against the mirror as suggested and leave the production server alone.

MrP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement