Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new gun and first hunting trip with it!

• 12-10-2007 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Stevens_200.jpg
    Got my new .223 its a beast i went for the Savage Stevens .223 Model 200 with Bushnell Mounts and a Simmons Master Series ProSport 6-18x50 AO Scope and HB25 Harris Bipod 12" to 25". Its a really good rifle for the price well balanced and handy for foxing. So far im getting really steady groupings, other day i aligned it with a 1/4" grouping @ 100yards. Went out that night and got 2 foxes.

1 was 145-150 yards down a hill i called him with a jack rabbit squeeler and he came storming up the hill, i knew all that was behind him was thick marsh bog as it was in balibario co.cavan :D. So i knew i had backdrop. My mate had to whistle to make him stop cause he was on full gallop. He stoped dead in his tracks i hit him square in the chest and i folded like a sack of spuds.

The second fox was a 180-190yard shot this time it was an old dog took awhile to get this one. We heard him bark from a distance so we took our time getting over to where we heard him. We kept the lamp off as there was a bit of a moon and we could see abit. When we got over the gate into the next field he was about 100yards ahead of us. He ran like a bat outa hell but about 20yards before he reached the willows at the bottm of the hill i let a shout and he stoped. Bang i nailed him in the left shoulder blade. I really love this gun sometimes when i hit with the .17 because the bullet velocity was so fast it would pass right through a shoulder blade without hitting any bone matter but the .223 really does a class job of dropping them quick. Even better than the .220 swift my mate has.

The i used 223 Remington UMC 55grs they are a great bullet @ only 14euro for a pack compared to the Normal Match Grade @ 35euro a pack. Big difference compared to the .17 700 Series i usta have when all i could get was Rem Match grade which cost 35euro a box.

I also found out i can get 62gr Wolf .223 ammo from my local dealer which i have to try out the extra stopping power of the bullet and see what damage it does.

Well hope ive given you guys some idea of the .223 Savage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

freekhead wrote: »

Even better than the .220 swift my mate has.

Don't think so :p

On the "New to Shooting Post" yesterday you owned a swift and a 22 mag, today a 223, have you a swift, 22 mag and a 223 ? Or did you get amendment on 22 (swift or 22 mag) licence for 223 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

"Even better than the .220 swift my mate has."
    thats a brave statement....
    anyone that owns a swift knows how flat and accurate they are..
    if swift ammo was a fiver a box everyone would have one :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

:cool:;) :D:D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Don't think so :p

On the "New to Shooting Post" yesterday you owned a swift and a 22 mag, today a 223, have you a swift, 22 mag and a 223 ? Or did you get amendment on 22 (swift or 22 mag) licence for 223 ?

Was wondering the same myself! Very strange indeed.:confused:

As for it being better than a swift................. very brave statement, but the same guy has told us in another post that a .223 is deer legal, all I can say is that if you have one, which going by your post you do (along with every other calibre along the way) , Don't start shooting deer with it, cause all those guns 'll be taken off you!

"Even better than the .220 swift my mate has."
    "I have been hunting since i was 7 and i only recently switched from a .22-mag to a .220 swift"

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

pampers wrote: »
    Was wondering the same myself! Very strange indeed.:confused:

As for it being better than a swift................. very brave statement, but the same guy has told us in another post that a .223 is deer legal, all I can say is that if you have one, which going by your post you do (along with every other calibre along the way) , Don't start shooting deer with it, cause all those guns 'll be taken off you!
    There's no denying it though, he has 'da skilz':
    Got my new .223 its a beast i went for the Savage Stevens .223 Model 200 with Bushnell Mounts and a Simmons Master Series ProSport 6-18x50 AO Scope and HB25 Harris Bipod 12" to 25". Its a really good rifle for the price well balanced and handy for foxing. So far im getting really steady groupings, other day i aligned it with a 1/4" grouping @ 100yards.
    That's 0.26175 MOA (Minutes Of Angle), fantastic stuff for an off-the-shelf budget priced hunting rifle.
    ...so ive got myself a rem 700 series .220 swift and i love it, ive gotten 1/8'' groupings at 150yards when aligning it.
    I calculate (open to correction) that to be 0.08725 MOA :eek:
    That's nothing short of astounding, imagine what he could do with a proper F Class rifle!
    freekhead, you need to get in contact with these guys- NRAI, they'd be delighted to have a shooter of this standard on board.

pampers wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by revan23
    "I have been hunting since i was 7 and i only recently switched from a .22-mag to a .220 swift"

what? i didnt say that!!! :confused:

Sorry Revan!
    Meant to be quotes from Freekhead! My apologies, edited it there!;)

no problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

well what i should of mentioned the is that .220 swift was my bothers gun who sold it recently as his girlfriend was having a child so he wouldnt have time to shoot anymore. Besides it was a dog of a thing, had the renforced tactical barrel that weighed it down alot and was the worst balanced gun ive ever used.
    Was wondering the same myself! Very strange indeed.

If u read the post i didnt actually say it was DEER LEGAL i said IT SHOULD BE as in america it is, and its proven a great hit becuase it can be used for both vermin and deer with bullets for as little as $11 a box cant go wrong with that
    That's 0.26175 MOA (Minutes Of Angle), fantastic stuff for an off-the-shelf budget priced hunting rifle.

yes thats after i put 3 boxes through it to align it. I didnt say i hit all like that but that was the best i got out of it.

Anyways all i wanted to do was share a story with ya but obiviously nobody on these forums is civilized enough to come out with a positive response, just the usual forum flaming and jealously that comes from ppl sitting at a 9-5office job with nothing better to do than flame people

• Advertisement

If u read the post i didnt actually say it was DEER LEGAL i said IT SHOULD BE as in america it is, and its proven a great hit becuase it can be used for both vermin and deer with bullets for as little as $11 a box cant go wrong with that

Oh Contrare!........
    well i think the mininum for deer hunting is a .223 which is ideal as it can be used for foxes aswell .243 drops to much at anthing over 200m

just the usual forum flaming and jealously that comes from ppl sitting at a 9-5office job with nothing better to do than flame people

I'm an electrician, far from a 9 - 5 office job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

well what i should of mentioned the is that .220 swift was my bothers gun who sold it recently as his girlfriend was having a child so he wouldnt have time to shoot anymore. Besides it was a dog of a thing, had the renforced tactical barrel that weighed it down alot and was the worst balanced gun ive ever used.

yes thats after i put 3 boxes through it to align it. I didnt say i hit all like that but that was the best i got out of it.

Anyways all i wanted to do was share a story with ya but obiviously nobody on these forums is civilized enough to come out with a positive response, just the usual forum flaming and jealously that comes from ppl sitting at a 9-5office job with nothing better to do than flame people
    Not flaming,probably curious about the accuracy claims.60 rounds seems excessive for zeroing and then a 1/4 inch group? No doubt the rifle was well cleaned after the initial 60 shots, if not you have a superb quality rifle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Comon guys cut him some slack, I enjoyed the tale, accuracy aside. I would love to read more huntinbg/shooting stories.

(note to self: never spoof about guns on this forum!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Rovi wrote: »
    There's no denying it though, he has 'da skilz':

I calculate (open to correction) that to be 0.08725 MOA :eek:

NRAI, they'd be delighted to have a shooter of this standard on board.

Degrees of interest in guns:

Hate guns
    Dont care about guns
    Not pushed about guns
    Guns are alright
    I like guns
    I love guns
    I live for guns
    I have an unhealthy obsession with guns
    I have a Charlton Heston tatoo
    I am rovi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700