Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what licence is needed for driving in america ?

Options
  • 12-10-2007 5:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

just a quick question.
    is a full irish licence good enough for driving in america or do i need an international licence ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

green123 wrote: »
    just a quick question.
    is a full irish licence good enough for driving in america or do i need an international licence ?

You haven't said, but I'm guessing you are just going over for a holiday - in which case your Irish licence will be fine, no probs with car rental firms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

An International Driving Permit (not Licence) is only used to provide a certified translation of the particulars on your existing Driving Licence to a selection of other languages. As such, it's only needed (for people with an English language licence) in certain* non-English speaking countries.

So a full Irish Licence is fine for the US. Most rental companies will insist that you've had it for at least a year, though.

*Not any of the EU countries though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I was able to rent and Drive a car for a 2 weeks in the States with an irish driving licence and a credit card
    I think thats all you will need
    Enjoy the Roads, so much better than ours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

yep, full irish and a credit card should get you around easy enough, however if you are under 25 some car rental companies will not let you hire a car or certain types of car. And some will only hire if you have held it for at least a year. otherwise no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

yep, full irish and a credit card should get you around easy enough, however if you are under 25 some car rental companies will not let you hire a car or certain types of car. And some will only hire if you have held it for at least a year. otherwise no problems

Some will also have an additional charge on standard cars for renters who are under 25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Yes, as above. Standard Irish license is good to go. Ive been in the USA 4 times in 2 years without issues, driving on all occasions with Hertz.

Advertisement