Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gripe Water - whats the story

Options
  • 12-10-2007 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

Gripe Water - whats the story. I know you can't get it eire just in the UK/NI. But why is this. What is it, how do you use and whats in it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It's a sweet liquid that you dip a baby's soother in to quieten it down when upset. It's very soothing, but used to contain alcohol...here's a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I found it very good when my boys were babies and it's good at helping a baby to move it's trapped wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

But you could get alcohol free gripe water for a few years before it was removed. I don't know why it was banned, was it around the same time as St John's Wort?

It really did work.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Missy Moo

Yeah gripe water is excellent,help relieved my sons colic.My uncle sent me over bottles of the stuff from england when my son had the colic(this is going back two years)And I would have honestly been lost without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Is it really that good? I've tried Infacol but it seemed to make my son worse rather than better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

From what I can remember Infacol is taken before each feed and it can take up to a week to be of full benefit. My baby is 10 so I'm a bit out of touch with it and I think it was fairly good for colic

Gripe water was good for helping wind a baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My daughter had bad colic earlier this year, and we tried Infacol and Gripe water, but neither helped.
    What gave me back my sanity in the end was a herbal remedy by Sean Boylan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

kelle wrote: »
    My daughter had bad colic earlier this year, and we tried Infacol and Gripe water, but neither helped.
    What gave me back my sanity in the end was a herbal remedy by Sean Boylan

What was it called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

BostonB wrote: »
    What was it called.
    I can't remember, it was 2 latin words each spelt with at least 10 letters! We were at our wits end after enduring 8 weeks of hell (and trying infacol and gripe water), when somebody told us Sean Boylan had a herbal remedy. My husband phoned, and just called in and collected it - it was about five euro, no need to bring in baby. After 2 nights, her colic was gone!

Advertisement