Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holes in shrub areas?

Options
  • 12-10-2007 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just a quick question, over the last few days we have notice holes in the shrub areas of our garden. We then noticed that the roots of our shrubs were been dug up and taken away or eaten. The holes are about the same size as a half a standard football. The are no droppings around these holes so it is not a cat. The garden is a rear garden and fully enclosed so its s not a person stealing our plants. The soil areas varies from very hard ( you would struggle to dig the hole yourself with a trowel) to very sandy.
    We have heard very strange animal noises at night, we live in a built up suburb of a city.
    Would anybody have any idea what might be digging the holes and why now?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Sounds like a fox, which would also account for the strange noises. Although why they would eat shrub roots I don't know, they may be searching for worms or maybe you used bone meal on the shrub bed. Fences or walls wouldn't be a deterrent either. If you notice a distinctive musky smell in the garden then I'd lay odds on a fox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭eoinhealy

I would have to go with a fox as well. You would not believe how many foxes live in built up areas. They usually only come out when things have quietened down (When people have gone to bed). They can sometimes jump small walls and fences so thats probably how they are getting in.

Other than a fox the only other thing is it could be a rat...

If it is a rat there will be signs other than droppings. rats tend to use the same area to walk on each time. So they end up making a slight imprint on the lawn or in a shrubbery. If you are starting to notice a kind of path going across the lawn , it might not even be very noticeable so look hard, then its a rat.

Other than that... The only other thing is a bird... but i dout it very much, i'll bet its a fox. They are harmless. If you want to keep your plants alive and the fox away from your house do this....

Leave a small bowl of dog food or something similar at the back of the garden before you go to bed... If the food is gone and the plants have not been touched then it is no doubt a fox.

Sorry for rambling on, but i hope this helps to solve the mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Thanks for the feed back,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭eoinhealy

no problem

Advertisement