Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any ideas what is wrong with my car?

Options
  • 12-10-2007 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

'99 Opel Astra 1.4 with 109500 miles.

I want to get an idea before bring it a mechanic to get it fixed.

When driving for say 10 minutes after 100kph and then slow right down, as your coming to a roundabout or driving slower, my front driver side wheel will go squeek..squeek.. squeek.. squeek.. squeek.. squeek.. squeek.. squeek..

It really starting to annoy me now. Driving in a town and your car goes squeek.. squeek.. squeek.. squeek.. squeek.. squeek.. squeek.. squeek..

Any suggestions what it might be I have already tried WD40, which was no use at all on the wheel hub.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Seeing as it happens after you slow down from 100 km/h, I'd say it's brake related. Maybe a slight sticking/binding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Seeing as it happens after you slow down from 100 km/h, I'd say it's brake related. Maybe a slight sticking/binding.

The brake pads need replacing as they are making a high pitch tone when breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

kluivert wrote: »
    The brake pads need replacing as they are making a high pitch tone when breaking.

as kluivert said get the brakes done. some cars have a metal clip that hits the disc when the brakes are worn down .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Could also be bearing related, does it squeal when your turning or driving in a straight line?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm with Brian on this one - I reckon it's related to the pads especially as you say your pads are in need of replacement and from your description this is certainly where you should start investigating the squeak. Wheel bearings, when worn, usually make a droning sound at higher speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Would also say pads! opels do have metal strip to warn you when pads ar e worn. If it was driver side wheel bearings you would definately hear a squeal/grating when turning left and the cars weight load bears down on the right hand side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

If you know how to change the tyre to car, then take the wheel off and see what status brake has,

It seems that brake pads are almost gone,

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

id have to agree. The break pads sound like they have had their day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Thanks guys for your input, two trades am sorry I dont trust is Estate Agents and Mechanics.

SO your all betting on the brakes then.

Its not the bearing, bearing noise gets louder the faster you go, I had a bearing go on my old Clio, when I eventually got it changed, I couldnt believe how quiet the car was.

Could the wheel be buclked, would that cause a squeek.

If I go into town for a spin and back there is no squeeking. If I go the same distance at 70 mph on a motorway, and then let the car slow down the squeeking starts.

So I wonder if there is metal grinding together at high speeds, metal heats up and the squeeks when it cools down.

Thanks again guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Buckled wheel is something you feel not hear! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Id say its the driver, you sure its not you going "squeek..squeek.. squeek.. squeek.. squeek.. squeek.. squeek.. squeek.. "!

You have it down to a tee in the post there :)

Get your break pads done lad, 1 of the most important thing in a car.

Advertisement